Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I was told to resign or not carry my weapon.

I was told to resign or not carry my weapon.

I have been carrying my g36 for over two years openly at work. There is nothing in the "employee handbook" that says i cannot, but my boss out of the blue told me today..." I want your resignation today unless you agree to not carry a weapon"

I know that he has every right to restrict firearms, but if I have been carrying for two years, what the hell is that?

I am pretty much screwed.....I am sure

That said....don't buy from Milford Plumbing Supply in the St louis area....but stop by the St Charles store and say hi!!

Zeke
    Last edited by zekester; 08-27-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Sounds like he was having a bad day maybe. What do you do?

I almost got fired for a pocket knife the other day.

Well, man, that's a tough call. To give up a right for a job or a job for a right. Before ditching your job (if that's your intention, you're my hero) consider the likeliness of any other companies to actually allow you to open carry. You don't want to lose a job because of open carry to end up getting another job that also doesn't allow open carry. I guess it'd depend how tight cash is for you.

I just got permission from one of my three employers within the last hour to carry my 1' combat knife at work which was originally restricted in the employee handbook. It's excusable because I cut a lot of boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by bennie1986 View Post
    Sounds like he was having a bad day maybe. What do you do?

I almost got fired for a pocket knife the other day.
    You serious? That's so silly people are scared of those things. My coworkers were originally nervous about my 3" Winchester folding knife (for $12, that thing is pretty awesome) but now they love to use it when they can. Like open carry of firearms, it was the case of getting the people used to it.

I got work this weekend, so it'll be interesting to see the reaction with my combat knife hanging off my belt.

Now you have to decide if you want to be looking for a job in this economy..
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

So one day you just walked into work open carrying?

Maybe the boss has been wetting his bed the whole time but didn't know how to handle it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

As tough as it is to find a job these days I wouldn't quit over the boss telling me he wanted me to stop carrying the gun. Seems quite strange that just out of the blue he would get his panties in a bunch about it though. Maybe a big spending customer came in and saw it or something ????

As far as carrying a knife , I have carried a pocket knife since I was 10 yrs old. I carried all through grade school then through high school. I never had a bit of trouble.

I graduated High school in 72 though. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jayspapa View Post

As far as carrying a knife , I have carried a pocket knife since I was 10 yrs old. I carried all through grade school then through high school. I never had a bit of trouble.

I graduated High school in 72 though. LOL

I did the same thing and graduated H.S. in '82 in the bay area of CA. If they do not know you have it, they can't take it.

I think a lot of the fear over employees carrying guns or knives probably has to do with all the people who have been shot and killed this year by disgrundled former employees. Never mind the fact that if a few of them HAD been armed, more of them might still be alive. And there may have been complaints from other employees or customers. Will he allow you to keep your gun in your car on company property? I would do that if he allows it; at least you will have it with you traveling to and from work.

That is a very tough call. I would not resign if I were you. Jobs are hard to come by right now and you may not be able to find an employer who will let you carry on the premises. I have my own house cleaning service and I carry all the time. Some of my customers know I do and they are fine with it because they knew me before I started carrying. Other customers don't know and I have no intention of telling them. When I am working I carry concealed in my gun purse. I still have to be careful when I am OC that certain customers don't see me; they might decide to hire someone else.

Your boss may actually be fine with it, maybe it's HIS boss that told him it is no longer allowed. Would he be willing to discuss it with you and at least tell you why the change? I wouldn't push it though. Looks like you will have to abide by it or find another job. Bummer.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zekester View Post
    SNIP " I want your resignation today unless you agree to not carry a weapon"
    Don't forget that every prospective employer who calls your boss for a reference may hear "He carried a gun to work."
    Last edited by Citizen; 08-27-2010 at 10:28 PM.

Cool

On a lighter note --
    Tell your boss that you will be more than happy to not "carry" your gun at work anymore, but will instead "wear" it. It'll free up the use of both hands while making a fashion statement.
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

If you decide to stop carrying, be sure to let your employer know that if you're injured or killed in a situation in which you would have been able to defend yourself that your family intends to sue him for every penny he's ever made.

Wow. Why are you people telling him to lay down?

It is NOT in the employee manual. I would stop carrying immediately, but DEFINITELY follow up with the next person up the food chain. If it isn't company policy you may get his decision over-ridden.
    Last edited by simmonsjoe; 08-27-2010 at 11:35 PM.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Banned
    zekester-

You can follow some of the snarky advice here and make your life more difficult, or you can make a rational, adult decision.

Your choices essentially are:

1. Accept your boss' demand that you not carry and continue to work at that job.

2. Tell the boss that you are resigning on principle. Be courteous about it. Offer to help in the transition to your replacement. And, give a reasonable amount of notice. Bear in mind that if you leave, you do not want to leave in such a way as would cause your old boss to say ugly things about you to potential employers.

3. (And, if you think you can find an employer for whom you can work without compromising your principles, this is the best option). Start looking for another job now. Comply with your current boss' wishes until you find a new job. Then give only as much notice as you can without inconveniencing your new boss and quit. Remember that your old boss, for several years, can have an impact on future hiring decisions involving you. Do not give him reason to give you a bad recommendation, not matter how good the snark will make you feel.

None of the choices are ideal. However, in the real world, they rarely are.

JMO. Feel free to ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    Wow. Why are you people telling him to lay down?

It is NOT in the employee manual. I would stop carrying immediately, but DEFINITELY follow up with the next person up the food chain. If it isn't company policy you may get his decision over-ridden.
    Yes, and if he lives in a "right to work" state where the boss doesn't need a reason or excuse to fire you, he may loose his job over it. No boss that I know of wants his decisions questioned. No one is telling him to "lay down, " just suggesting different options. So he takes your advice and gets fired for it; are you going to support him until he can find another job?!? Actions have to be considered in light of the consequences they cause. Few of us can afford to be out of work, I would imagine. Like it or not, life is full of compromise; we all compromise all the time to get along in life. It would be stupid to win the battle, but lose the war. It will be hard to go to the range and practice or do much of anything else if there's no income. I understand the principle of the 2A and our rights and such. I also understand people have bills, mortgages, families to provide for, etc. Principles are fine, but you can't eat them. People do what they have to in order to survive and that may mean compromise for now until the economic situation changes for the better. Along with standing up for your principles, you have to be realistic.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    Yes, and if he lives in a "right to work" state where the boss doesn't need a reason or excuse to fire you, he may loose his job over it. No boss that I know of wants his decisions questioned. No one is telling him to "lay down, " just suggesting different options. So he takes your advice and gets fired for it; are you going to support him until he can find another job?!? Actions have to be considered in light of the consequences they cause. Few of us can afford to be out of work, I would imagine. Like it or not, life is full of compromise; we all compromise all the time to get along in life. It would be stupid to win the battle, but lose the war. It will be hard to go to the range and practice or do much of anything else if there's no income. I understand the principle of the 2A and our rights and such. I also understand people have bills, mortgages, families to provide for, etc. Principles are fine, but you can't eat them. People do what they have to in order to survive and that may mean compromise for now until the economic situation changes for the better. Along with standing up for your principles, you have to be realistic.
    wtf are you talking about? simply requesting clarification on company policy is not going to get you fired.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Just want to make a few more points. Even in an employment at will state, an employee still has rights. You have the right to expect fair and equitable treatment. If your boss has an issue, unless he's the owner/CEO of the company, he has a boss too; move up the food chain. Politely point out that you've been carrying w/o any problems and now out of the blue they flop on you. Without even knowing it, you may have already prevented an incident or robbery by your mear presence. I'll even hazard a guess that there are female co-workers who've had bad breakups that feel safer around you; seek them out and get them to share their opinion. Find customers who will speak on your behalf; their money is what drives the company! If all this still results in you not being able to carry, make sure they know that since they are assuming responsibility for your safety, you will hold them to a rigerous standard. Any injury or death that you could have prevented will result in civil legal action. Good luck amigo!

I have been carrying my g36 for over two years openly at work. There is nothing in the "employee handbook" that says i cannot, but my boss out of the blue told me today..." I want your resignation today unless you agree to not carry a weapon"

I know that he has every right to restrict firearms, but if I have been carrying for two years, what the hell is that?

That said....don't buy from Milford Plumbing Supply in the St louis area....but stop by the St Charles store and say hi!!

Zeke
    At-will State my friend. You're right, you're pretty much screwed. If it were me, and it's obviously not, I'd ask him to sign an acknowledgment that he is responsible for your safety on the job and that any injury stemming from criminal activity en route to work, on the job, and en route to your home are fully his responsibility as he is denying you the right to protect yourself in a corrupt, crime plagued, drug and gang infested city.

This is exactly why there needs to be a liability attachment to any business that denies their employees and/or their patrons the right to lawful carry. Post your business or deny your employees lawful carry and you should automatically have a duty to protect your patrons and employees as well as are responsible for any and all injuries resulting from criminal activity at your place of business.

Banned
    Just a couple of things:

"Right to work" States have statutes that prevent unions from forcing employees to join the union or pay the dues anyway.

At-will employment is probably the correct term, and AFIK that exists in all 50 States. With at-will employment, both the employer and employee are free to terminate the relationship at any time and for any reason (with a few exceptions). For example, an employer can fire you because he discovers that you have blue eyes (people with blue eyes not being a protected class).

The exceptions are employees with a contract, employees with a collective bargaining agreement, and employees who belong to a protected class (if they are being fired because they belong to that protected class).

On edit: Some States have other exceptions, one of which might preclude your firing. Missouri does not seem to have these exceptions except that they might have a specific public policy against your being fired for carrying. (I doubt it.) You'll have to research MO law to find out.
    Last edited by eye95; 08-28-2010 at 10:57 AM.

" I want your resignation today unless you agree to not carry a weapon"
    Well, I assume you agreed to not wear the gun.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Will he allow you to keep your gun in your car on company property?
    It's better not to ask. Just do it. You have a reasonable expectation of privacy if your car is locked and the pistol is not in plain view. I did it up until I got a job as a defense contractor. Now that I have to work on a base, I can't carry even one round of ammo with me. It sucks BIG time.

Yes, and if he lives in a "right to work" state where the boss doesn't need a reason or excuse to fire you, he may loose his job over it. No boss that I know of wants his decisions questioned.
    very true, even if it is not in the employee handbook, if you are in a right to work state, they can terminate you for any reason, and most handbooks have a generic rule that you must follow supervisors directions. refusal gets you fired

It's a very small percentage of people who are allowed to OC at work in the first place. While I'm sure you feel insulted and demeaned having the option taken away from you, welcome to the real world. Policy manual or not, notwithstanding any existing discrimination laws, if your boss tells you something, it becomes policy. The only recourse you have is to attempt a dialogue to determine what has changed and try to negotiate a resolution.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    very true, even if it is not in the employee handbook, if you are in a right to work state, they can terminate you for any reason, and most handbooks have a generic rule that you must follow supervisors directions. refusal gets you fired
    Again, this is not the meaning of "right to work." What you mean is "at-will." All States, to one extent or another, have "at will" employment.

"Right to work" States do not allow unions to force employees to either belong to the union or pay the dues anyway.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Zeke
    So what did you do?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast