• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I was told to resign or not carry my weapon.

zekester

I have been carrying my g36 for over two years openly at work. There is nothing in the "employee handbook" that says i cannot, but my boss out of the blue told me today..." I want your resignation today unless you agree to not carry a weapon"

I know that he has every right to restrict firearms, but if I have been carrying for two years, what the hell is that?

I am pretty much screwed.....I am sure

That said....don't buy from Milford Plumbing Supply in the St louis area....but stop by the St Charles store and say hi!!

Zeke

Last edited:

19Daniel91

Well, man, that's a tough call. To give up a right for a job or a job for a right. Before ditching your job (if that's your intention, you're my hero) consider the likeliness of any other companies to actually allow you to open carry. You don't want to lose a job because of open carry to end up getting another job that also doesn't allow open carry. I guess it'd depend how tight cash is for you.

I just got permission from one of my three employers within the last hour to carry my 1' combat knife at work which was originally restricted in the employee handbook. It's excusable because I cut a lot of boxes.

19Daniel91

Sounds like he was having a bad day maybe. What do you do?

I almost got fired for a pocket knife the other day.

You serious? That's so silly people are scared of those things. My coworkers were originally nervous about my 3" Winchester folding knife (for $12, that thing is pretty awesome) but now they love to use it when they can. Like open carry of firearms, it was the case of getting the people used to it.

I got work this weekend, so it'll be interesting to see the reaction with my combat knife hanging off my belt. :rolleyes:

VAopencarry

So one day you just walked into work open carrying?

Maybe the boss has been wetting his bed the whole time but didn't know how to handle it.

jayspapa

As tough as it is to find a job these days I wouldn't quit over the boss telling me he wanted me to stop carrying the gun. Seems quite strange that just out of the blue he would get his panties in a bunch about it though. Maybe a big spending customer came in and saw it or something ????

As far as carrying a knife , I have carried a pocket knife since I was 10 yrs old. I carried all through grade school then through high school. I never had a bit of trouble.

I graduated High school in 72 though. LOL

Iopencarry

As far as carrying a knife , I have carried a pocket knife since I was 10 yrs old. I carried all through grade school then through high school. I never had a bit of trouble.

I graduated High school in 72 though. LOL

I did the same thing and graduated H.S. in '82 in the bay area of CA. If they do not know you have it, they can't take it.

Ruby

I think a lot of the fear over employees carrying guns or knives probably has to do with all the people who have been shot and killed this year by disgrundled former employees. Never mind the fact that if a few of them HAD been armed, more of them might still be alive. And there may have been complaints from other employees or customers. Will he allow you to keep your gun in your car on company property? I would do that if he allows it; at least you will have it with you traveling to and from work.

That is a very tough call. I would not resign if I were you. Jobs are hard to come by right now and you may not be able to find an employer who will let you carry on the premises. I have my own house cleaning service and I carry all the time. Some of my customers know I do and they are fine with it because they knew me before I started carrying. Other customers don't know and I have no intention of telling them. When I am working I carry concealed in my gun purse. I still have to be careful when I am OC that certain customers don't see me; they might decide to hire someone else.

Your boss may actually be fine with it, maybe it's HIS boss that told him it is no longer allowed. Would he be willing to discuss it with you and at least tell you why the change? I wouldn't push it though. Looks like you will have to abide by it or find another job. Bummer.

MatieA

On a lighter note --
Tell your boss that you will be more than happy to not "carry" your gun at work anymore, but will instead "wear" it. It'll free up the use of both hands while making a fashion statement.

mark-in-texas

If you decide to stop carrying, be sure to let your employer know that if you're injured or killed in a situation in which you would have been able to defend yourself that your family intends to sue him for every penny he's ever made.

simmonsjoe

Wow. Why are you people telling him to lay down?

It is NOT in the employee manual. I would stop carrying immediately, but DEFINITELY follow up with the next person up the food chain. If it isn't company policy you may get his decision over-ridden.

Last edited:

eye95

zekester-

You can follow some of the snarky advice here and make your life more difficult, or you can make a rational, adult decision.

Your choices essentially are:

1. Accept your boss' demand that you not carry and continue to work at that job.

2. Tell the boss that you are resigning on principle. Be courteous about it. Offer to help in the transition to your replacement. And, give a reasonable amount of notice. Bear in mind that if you leave, you do not want to leave in such a way as would cause your old boss to say ugly things about you to potential employers.

3. (And, if you think you can find an employer for whom you can work without compromising your principles, this is the best option). Start looking for another job now. Comply with your current boss' wishes until you find a new job. Then give only as much notice as you can without inconveniencing your new boss and quit. Remember that your old boss, for several years, can have an impact on future hiring decisions involving you. Do not give him reason to give you a bad recommendation, not matter how good the snark will make you feel.

None of the choices are ideal. However, in the real world, they rarely are.

JMO. Feel free to ignore it.

Ruby

Wow. Why are you people telling him to lay down?

It is NOT in the employee manual. I would stop carrying immediately, but DEFINITELY follow up with the next person up the food chain. If it isn't company policy you may get his decision over-ridden.

Yes, and if he lives in a "right to work" state where the boss doesn't need a reason or excuse to fire you, he may loose his job over it. No boss that I know of wants his decisions questioned. No one is telling him to "lay down, " just suggesting different options. So he takes your advice and gets fired for it; are you going to support him until he can find another job?!? Actions have to be considered in light of the consequences they cause. Few of us can afford to be out of work, I would imagine. Like it or not, life is full of compromise; we all compromise all the time to get along in life. It would be stupid to win the battle, but lose the war. It will be hard to go to the range and practice or do much of anything else if there's no income. I understand the principle of the 2A and our rights and such. I also understand people have bills, mortgages, families to provide for, etc. Principles are fine, but you can't eat them. People do what they have to in order to survive and that may mean compromise for now until the economic situation changes for the better. Along with standing up for your principles, you have to be realistic.

simmonsjoe

Yes, and if he lives in a "right to work" state where the boss doesn't need a reason or excuse to fire you, he may loose his job over it. No boss that I know of wants his decisions questioned. No one is telling him to "lay down, " just suggesting different options. So he takes your advice and gets fired for it; are you going to support him until he can find another job?!? Actions have to be considered in light of the consequences they cause. Few of us can afford to be out of work, I would imagine. Like it or not, life is full of compromise; we all compromise all the time to get along in life. It would be stupid to win the battle, but lose the war. It will be hard to go to the range and practice or do much of anything else if there's no income. I understand the principle of the 2A and our rights and such. I also understand people have bills, mortgages, families to provide for, etc. Principles are fine, but you can't eat them. People do what they have to in order to survive and that may mean compromise for now until the economic situation changes for the better. Along with standing up for your principles, you have to be realistic.
wtf are you talking about? simply requesting clarification on company policy is not going to get you fired.

mark-in-texas

Just want to make a few more points. Even in an employment at will state, an employee still has rights. You have the right to expect fair and equitable treatment. If your boss has an issue, unless he's the owner/CEO of the company, he has a boss too; move up the food chain. Politely point out that you've been carrying w/o any problems and now out of the blue they flop on you. Without even knowing it, you may have already prevented an incident or robbery by your mear presence. I'll even hazard a guess that there are female co-workers who've had bad breakups that feel safer around you; seek them out and get them to share their opinion. Find customers who will speak on your behalf; their money is what drives the company! If all this still results in you not being able to carry, make sure they know that since they are assuming responsibility for your safety, you will hold them to a rigerous standard. Any injury or death that you could have prevented will result in civil legal action. Good luck amigo!

heresyourdipstickjimmy

I have been carrying my g36 for over two years openly at work. There is nothing in the "employee handbook" that says i cannot, but my boss out of the blue told me today..." I want your resignation today unless you agree to not carry a weapon"

I know that he has every right to restrict firearms, but if I have been carrying for two years, what the hell is that?

I am pretty much screwed.....I am sure

That said....don't buy from Milford Plumbing Supply in the St louis area....but stop by the St Charles store and say hi!!

Zeke

At-will State my friend. You're right, you're pretty much screwed. If it were me, and it's obviously not, I'd ask him to sign an acknowledgment that he is responsible for your safety on the job and that any injury stemming from criminal activity en route to work, on the job, and en route to your home are fully his responsibility as he is denying you the right to protect yourself in a corrupt, crime plagued, drug and gang infested city.

This is exactly why there needs to be a liability attachment to any business that denies their employees and/or their patrons the right to lawful carry. Post your business or deny your employees lawful carry and you should automatically have a duty to protect your patrons and employees as well as are responsible for any and all injuries resulting from criminal activity at your place of business.

eye95

Just a couple of things:

"Right to work" States have statutes that prevent unions from forcing employees to join the union or pay the dues anyway.

At-will employment is probably the correct term, and AFIK that exists in all 50 States. With at-will employment, both the employer and employee are free to terminate the relationship at any time and for any reason (with a few exceptions). For example, an employer can fire you because he discovers that you have blue eyes (people with blue eyes not being a protected class).

The exceptions are employees with a contract, employees with a collective bargaining agreement, and employees who belong to a protected class (if they are being fired because they belong to that protected class).

On edit: Some States have other exceptions, one of which might preclude your firing. Missouri does not seem to have these exceptions except that they might have a specific public policy against your being fired for carrying. (I doubt it.) You'll have to research MO law to find out.

Last edited: