• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Last place I expected to have an OC issue, but did...

Nevada carrier

Today, I was in the Bass Pro at the Silverton complex I was just window shopping especially interested in the vast assortment of reloading supplies and tools available. I was in the ammunition isle looking at 45 ACP factory ammunition when an older gentlemen named Michael approached me and asked me, "Would you mind going downstairs and have them put a lock on [my] 1911?" To this I replied "yes, I would mind." He then asked me if I had a CCW, to which I replied, "I [didn't] need a CCW so long as my firearm is discernible by ordinary observation."

At this point I simply told him I was done shopping and was ready to leave. I was done, but I wasn't ready to leave just yet. I approached the customer service counter at the main entrance and asked if they would plase call the manager on duty. The MOD was unavailable because they were handling a shoplifter with metro, so a young assistant named Nick, (very pleasant young man btw) came down. I asked what the stores policy was with regard to customers carrying firearms. He said he wasn't absolutely sure there was one but after the event I described he and I agreed that if there was a policy, all Bass pro employees should be brought up to speed on it it should be enforced uniformly in accordance with Bass pro's corporate guidelines. He thanked me for bringing the matter to his attention and Assured me he would look into it.

It wasn't a "horrible" experience, but it was an unexpected one. I've read time and time again the Bass Pro had no problems with open carry, so needless to say I was a bit surprised by this one.

Last edited:

Remmy

Shocking indeed perhaps ill run down there right quick OCing and ask for a MOD. Hopefully this man that had issue with your god given rights isnt someone that I know there. Actually I think I will be headed there now to check out what deals they have going on right now. Labor day approaching and all.

28kfps

That surprises me. There has been posting here of open carrying in Bass Pro. I was there a month or so back. I was in ever department open carrying. Upstairs and down stairs. Had several store employees ask if I needed any help? It would appear to me with the question if you had a CCW the employee did not know the law. I can only hope he also did not know the store rules. Hate to have to put Bass Pro on my no shopping list.

Remmy

I just got back from my visit at BassPro, I swear I cannot walk into that store without buying something. I spoke at length to the MOD "Nick" Younger gentlemen. He was pretty familar with gun laws and openly admited he didnt know most of them however, he was pretty familar with Open Carry being perfectly legal (even though it makes him nervous) is perfectly okay with it and was actually looking for a company policy on the matter to no avail last night as the issue has been brought to his attention atleast three times this month of employee / customer interaction. He was familar with a previously reported encounter by a customer prior to our conversation. He stated the only policy there is that he can find is regarding customers coming to the store to use their range in which case it is their policy that a trigger lock be placed on the firearm. He stated even though he cannot locate the actual store policy he runs the store keeping in line with state law. He also said he would research the matter further and if still cannot locate a policy will be contacting corporate to have them clarify if there is a policy that all firearms must be locked. He went on to state that for the encounters that have been brought to his attention it was more so the employee not knowing state gun laws and that typically when a customer comes into the store with a firearm "usually to utlize the range" they have locks on and when a customer comes into the store open carrying that employee assumes as much. If he can locate or get corporate to take a stance one way or another he is going to have the entire store trained on the matter as of late has become more of a issue then before.

Keeping in mind I had this conversation while OCing and visiting almost every section with several customers saying hello and if they could help me. Also browsed the hand gun selection as well as rifle selection. As well as at the check stand paying for my recent purchase. Finally picked up a serpa for my M&P 40c and man does it feel great on my hip. Threw it to the farthest cant and is even more of a natural draw for me now.

I am going to try to track down BassPro HQ emails to write a letter asking them for their firearm policy and ask that they put on the books to follow state law like so many other retailers out there. Walmart, HomeDepot, Starbucks to name a few.

28kfps

I am going to try to track down BassPro HQ emails to write a letter asking them for their firearm policy and ask that they put on the books to follow state law like so many other retailers out there. Walmart, HomeDepot, Starbucks to name a few.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for checking and getting the scoop. BassPro stays on my place to buy list.

Last edited:

Merlin

Vegassteve

This was taken care of over a year ago with corporate by me. And also by Mike who runs this website. Corp policy is to follow state law. If this is a issue with anyone else let us know and we will have it taken care of again.

VegasGeorge

Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised at anything I hear about Bass Pro Shop. There is only one word that adequately describes my several experience in that store: "Incompetence." When dealing with incompetent people anything can happen.

Your post is a case in point. You went right to the store manager. He didn't know what the store policy was, or if they even had one. If that isn't incompetence what is?

Ronsmag

I go there and shoot all the time and I mentioned to the guy at the range that it was strange that I could open carry in there but when I come to shoot I have to have locks put on my guns he said that yea it's weird but thats the way the manager wants it , That was a couple of months ago so it could be a new manager

flagellum

Is this the Bass Pro on Silverton Property? I wonder if Silverton Policy(no guns) would trump BP policy in this case?(Not that I want it to)

Remmy

Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised at anything I hear about Bass Pro Shop. There is only one word that adequately describes my several experience in that store: "Incompetence." When dealing with incompetent people anything can happen.

Your post is a case in point. You went right to the store manager. He didn't know what the store policy was, or if they even had one. If that isn't incompetence what is?

I would have to agree, he was sort of incompetent when it came to store policy. He was in line with his thoughts on the subject though. I personally enjoy the store as I am into alot more then just guns so this fits my bill. I have never really cared one way or another if i walk into a retail store and find a moron that knows nothing. Just as long as they can point me to what location a certain item is im good.

also, this may have been taken care of a year ago or but this is the nature of the beast and the fluidness of this movement. Just because something was taken care of with a certain store a year ago doesnt mean it wont have to be taken care of again. or new store management be educated. BassPro is a huge corporation so I can see how things can go back a step. As well as a break down in communication and new hires. The way i see it is, for every encounter that is some what negative is a chance for that single person to be educated which could bring about training the entire store again.

DEFENSOR

Serpa hates trigger lock.

Does anyone know where I can get a holster for my Glock 21 that is compatible with having a trigger lock installed. This is of course sarcasm. A friend and I were OC at the Bass Pro shop in Rancho Cucamonga Ca. yesterday. We were told the very same thing after having been the store for about an hour. We explained to the manager the absurdity of locking the trigger on a firearm carried for self defense. We declined to allow locks to be installed, locked guns in the car and finished shopping. I would liked to have left then but it is a long drive to leave without what you came for. I spoke to Larry Whitely at corporate this morning. He assured me that store policy may not deviate from corporate policy which is in compliance with applicable state laws. I then left a message for the store manager and I am awaiting a call back. Also, Larry told me that the trigger locks are for guns that will not remain carried in holsters. Clear it put a trigger lock on it put it back in its case and off to the guncounter.