Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Chesterfield County Fair

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richmond Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    636

    Chesterfield County Fair

    According to their website and fairground rules guns are not welcome. The fairground is county property.

    http://www.chesterfieldcountyfair.or...or-Package.pdf
    page 8 # 18.

    I don't remember this being a problem in the past.

  2. #2
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    I'll handle this one. I have a connection.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Never Never Land
    Posts
    514
    Sounds like we need to have a open carry night at the county fair !!

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    First of all, it appears that the comment applies only to vendors. The Fair website http://www.chesterfieldcountyfair.org/ has a "Rules & Regulatiuons" section that goes to the vendor application pdf -- cannot find anything anout "no guns" that applies to visitors.

    On the other hand, the parking areas that you will be directed to are ON SCHOOL PROPERTY. Possession on school grounds is a violation of state law, as well as possession within the GFSZ without a CHP. There is alternate parking further down the road, but within the GFSZ.

    http://www.chesterfieldcountyfair.or...20Brochure.pdf See page #12 for the map, which unfortunately does not show the school across the street from the fairgrounds. See page 13 the the rules for visitors, which does NOT say "no guns".

    stay safe.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richmond Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    636
    There may be an opportunity here. In a VCDL email I see where they are looking for members to staff a table at the South Central Fair in Chase City.

    There is no better way to reach the core of the people that made this country so great than reaching out to them at the dozens of county fairs through out Virginia. Yes there would be minimal cost for booth space. I am sure they would give consideration for non-profit groups.

  6. #6
    Lone Star Veteran DrMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    I'll handle this one. I have a connection.
    Excellent.

    Looking forward to an update.

  7. #7
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    Excellent.

    Looking forward to an update.
    I made contact with someone and they are looking into it. Hopefully we'll have a response by Monday or Tuesday.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Henrico County ,
    Posts
    537

    It's fine

    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    I made contact with someone and they are looking into it. Hopefully we'll have a response by Monday or Tuesday.
    Chris (Richardcm) and I both open carried there last year. Not a problem at all. It's county property. Most of the parking, however, is across the street in the L.C. Bird high school parking lot. Chris and I got around this by parking 1/3 a mile down the street in another county departments mostly empty parking lot. Then we walked. Lots of police interaction (all positive) including a few jokes about the size of the gun I was wearing.

  9. #9
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by SicSemperTyrannis View Post
    Chris (Richardcm) and I both open carried there last year. Not a problem at all. It's county property. Most of the parking, however, is across the street in the L.C. Bird high school parking lot. Chris and I got around this by parking 1/3 a mile down the street in another county departments mostly empty parking lot. Then we walked. Lots of police interaction (all positive) including a few jokes about the size of the gun I was wearing.
    This was a problem with a Tea Party rally I ranted about.
    While parking elsewhere does solve the parking at school issue, it does not solve the Zone concern Skidmark hit on.

    My opinion is that the zone is unenforceable without other factors...but that is only my opinion and one that is argued quite often.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Henrico County ,
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    This was a problem with a Tea Party rally I ranted about.
    While parking elsewhere does solve the parking at school issue, it does not solve the Zone concern Skidmark hit on.

    My opinion is that the zone is unenforceable without other factors...but that is only my opinion and one that is argued quite often.
    The Gun Free Zone issue isn't an issue if you have a CHP, though. Chris and I both have one.

  11. #11
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by SicSemperTyrannis View Post
    The Gun Free Zone issue isn't an issue if you have a CHP, though. Chris and I both have one.
    That's true and so does Kenny.
    But Kenny posted it as a General area of concern and surprisingly, there are more avid gun owners than you and Chris!

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    That's true and so does Kenny.
    But Kenny posted it as a General area of concern and surprisingly, there are more avid gun owners than you and Chris!
    Not that I'd want to start the "perks for permits" conversation again. No, sure wouldn't want to do that.

    But since OC is the VA Constitutional default mode, and both federal and state laws carve out exemptions to that default, there is much to be said about either the gooberment or those who have submitted to permission slips not rubbing it in our faces.

    stay safe.

  13. #13
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    596

    I agree

    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    This was a problem with a Tea Party rally I ranted about.
    While parking elsewhere does solve the parking at school issue, it does not solve the Zone concern Skidmark hit on.

    My opinion is that the zone is unenforceable without other factors...but that is only my opinion and one that is argued quite often.
    I have never heard of the GFSZA being enforced here in VA. If it is, it is being enforced as a secondary issue.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by VCDL President View Post
    I have never heard of the GFSZA being enforced here in VA. If it is, it is being enforced as a secondary issue.
    It has nothing to do with the fact that the GFSZA is not, has not, or will not ever be enforced as a primary offense. We are law-abiding citizens, and what we do is obey the laws -- even the ones we find odious.

    stay safe.

  15. #15
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    It has nothing to do with the fact that the GFSZA is not, has not, or will not ever be enforced as a primary offense. We are law-abiding citizens, and what we do is obey the laws -- even the ones we find odious.

    stay safe.
    There should be a whole discipline in the study of law devoted to these sorts of laws... laws that will not pass judicial muster, and are therefore never enforced, so that they do not have to undergo that muster. As long as these laws are never enforced, and then found to be unenforceable, they carry just as much weight to the law abiding population as if they were.

    The DMCA laws against busting copy protection for making your own personal backups is another example.

    There is something inherently wrong with this.

    TFred

  16. #16
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    The DMCA laws against busting copy protection for making your own personal backups is another example.

    There is something inherently wrong with this.

    TFred
    That has been repealed for the most part recently.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •