• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chesterfield County Fair

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
First of all, it appears that the comment applies only to vendors. The Fair website http://www.chesterfieldcountyfair.org/ has a "Rules & Regulatiuons" section that goes to the vendor application pdf -- cannot find anything anout "no guns" that applies to visitors.

On the other hand, the parking areas that you will be directed to are ON SCHOOL PROPERTY. Possession on school grounds is a violation of state law, as well as possession within the GFSZ without a CHP. There is alternate parking further down the road, but within the GFSZ.

http://www.chesterfieldcountyfair.org/2010 Chesterfield County Fair Brochure.pdf See page #12 for the map, which unfortunately does not show the school across the street from the fairgrounds. See page 13 the the rules for visitors, which does NOT say "no guns".

stay safe.

kenny

There may be an opportunity here. In a VCDL email I see where they are looking for members to staff a table at the South Central Fair in Chase City.

There is no better way to reach the core of the people that made this country so great than reaching out to them at the dozens of county fairs through out Virginia. Yes there would be minimal cost for booth space. I am sure they would give consideration for non-profit groups.

SicSemperTyrannis

It's fine

I made contact with someone and they are looking into it. Hopefully we'll have a response by Monday or Tuesday.

Chris (Richardcm) and I both open carried there last year. Not a problem at all. It's county property. Most of the parking, however, is across the street in the L.C. Bird high school parking lot. Chris and I got around this by parking 1/3 a mile down the street in another county departments mostly empty parking lot. Then we walked. Lots of police interaction (all positive) including a few jokes about the size of the gun I was wearing.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Chris (Richardcm) and I both open carried there last year. Not a problem at all. It's county property. Most of the parking, however, is across the street in the L.C. Bird high school parking lot. Chris and I got around this by parking 1/3 a mile down the street in another county departments mostly empty parking lot. Then we walked. Lots of police interaction (all positive) including a few jokes about the size of the gun I was wearing.

This was a problem with a Tea Party rally I ranted about.
While parking elsewhere does solve the parking at school issue, it does not solve the Zone concern Skidmark hit on.

My opinion is that the zone is unenforceable without other factors...but that is only my opinion and one that is argued quite often.

SicSemperTyrannis

While parking elsewhere does solve the parking at school issue, it does not solve the Zone concern Skidmark hit on.

My opinion is that the zone is unenforceable without other factors...but that is only my opinion and one that is argued quite often.

The Gun Free Zone issue isn't an issue if you have a CHP, though. Chris and I both have one.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
That's true and so does Kenny.
But Kenny posted it as a General area of concern and surprisingly, there are more avid gun owners than you and Chris!

Not that I'd want to start the "perks for permits" conversation again. No, sure wouldn't want to do that.

But since OC is the VA Constitutional default mode, and both federal and state laws carve out exemptions to that default, there is much to be said about either the gooberment or those who have submitted to permission slips not rubbing it in our faces.

stay safe.

VCDL President

Centurion
I agree

I have never heard of the GFSZA being enforced here in VA. If it is, it is being enforced as a secondary issue.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I have never heard of the GFSZA being enforced here in VA. If it is, it is being enforced as a secondary issue.

It has nothing to do with the fact that the GFSZA is not, has not, or will not ever be enforced as a primary offense. We are law-abiding citizens, and what we do is obey the laws -- even the ones we find odious.

stay safe.

TFred

It has nothing to do with the fact that the GFSZA is not, has not, or will not ever be enforced as a primary offense. We are law-abiding citizens, and what we do is obey the laws -- even the ones we find odious.

stay safe.
There should be a whole discipline in the study of law devoted to these sorts of laws... laws that will not pass judicial muster, and are therefore never enforced, so that they do not have to undergo that muster. As long as these laws are never enforced, and then found to be unenforceable, they carry just as much weight to the law abiding population as if they were.

The DMCA laws against busting copy protection for making your own personal backups is another example.

There is something inherently wrong with this.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The DMCA laws against busting copy protection for making your own personal backups is another example.

There is something inherently wrong with this.

TFred

That has been repealed for the most part recently.