Thread: Remington ammunition

Remington ammunition

Has anyone ever had any trouble with this brand? I have discovered not to use the .22 thunderbolt. But I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed any of their other lines to avoid? Or even any other brands?

I never did like their .22 ammo. I have shot their ammo in .38/.357 , .223 , 30-30 to name a few and always used their shotgun shells , from #8 all the way up to 00buck and slugs.

I liked it all other than the .22's.

it seems to me that Remington's 22 ammo is very low grade. It performs poorly and is dirtier than most other brands. Furthermore, I think their lead compound is too hard for 22 ammo. Very little mushrooming of the bullet is realized even at close ranges. Remington 22 ammo seems to have more failure to feed than CCI or Federal or Winchester.

On the other hand, their center fire ammo seems to be top drawer stuff. My AR-180 is more accurate with Remington ammo than any other brand. Go figure.

My 357 is quite accurate with the 158 grain JHPs from Remington.

Can't speak to their rimfire, but Golden Sabers are among the best centerfire rounds out there. My round of choice in .357 mag, 125gr JHP.

I think it also depends on the 22 rounds. If you're buying the $1.29/box stuff, expect $1.29 performance. I usually shoot the Federal 550rd bulk boxes. There are a few bad rounds, but for the money, Im not going to complain. Im not shooting match grade ammo.

Ive also heard complaints about the UMC ammo that is marketed under Remington's name.

I use Remington Premier Core-Lokt for my 308.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

I've had a few probs with Remington's .22LR ammo, and have been told by many an instructor to strictly AVOID Remington's .22 ammo. I understand that their center-fire ammo is fine but their rim-fire stuff is problematic and often produces FTF's. Heeding the instructors' advice, I've stuck with CCI and Federal brands and haven't had a single complaint on accuracy or reliability.
    No one has ever walked away from a gunfight complaining that he brought too much ammo.

I've not had any negatives with their ammo that was .380 or larger. As far as 22 goes, I've had lots of bad luck with .22lr and .22mag in several brands if I fail to spend good money.

I do know for a fact that the rims on their .45ACP are slightly thinner than Winchester's and that can pose problems for a custom 1911 shooter.
    Last edited by heresyourdipstickjimmy; 08-31-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heresyourdipstickjimmy View Post
    I do know for a fact that the rims on their .45ACP are slightly thinner than Winchester's and that can pose problems for a custom 1911 shooter.
    ejection probs, then?
    No one has ever walked away from a gunfight complaining that he brought too much ammo.

Lots of problems with Remington Cyclone .22lr in my Ruger Standard. I've used several thousand rounds of the Federal Bulk and very rarely have any problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by hopnpop View Post
    ejection probs, then?
    Ejection and extraction both, extraction mainly. Once my extractor was shaped we started having problems. After measuring the rims with a caliper we discovered enough of a difference to cause a problem with a tuned 1911 extractor. Easy fix was just to shoot Winchester. Didn't have problems when it was a stock 1911, just once we built and tuned it.

I will NOT touch the .22 ammo. The only .22 ammo I will use is federal. Which is funny because all the of my shotguns HATE anything other then remington. Same with the 8mm rifle. It only likes remington. So because my guns are picky I too must be picky.

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    I can't speak on the subject of .22LR, but I've got 500-rounds of Remington UMC-JHP 180gr. 40-caliber stashed. My Glock 23 likes it just fine

My 1911 is pretty happy with the 185gr. Golden Sabres.

My LCR is currently loaded with Remington 158gr. LHP .38sp+P cartridges.
    Carry on!