• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So you could OC at an event that serves Beer!

qball54208

CHAPTER 33 City Ordinance Code Book Green Bay.
(a) Class "A" (Beer) License. Authorizes retail sales of fermented malt beverages in original packages, containers, and bottles for consumption off the premises where sold.
(b) "Class A" (Liquor) License. Authorizes the retail sale of intoxicating liquor in original packages, containers, and bottles for consumption off the premises where sold.
http://www.ci.green-bay.wi.us/codebook/chp33.pdf
Further more: (c) Class "B" (Beer) License. Authorizes retail sales of fermented malt beverages to be consumed whether on or off the premises where sold. (d) "Class B" (Liquor) License. Authorizes the retail sale of intoxicating liquor for consumption on the premises where sold by the glass and not in the original package or container. Wine, however, may be sold for consumption off premises in original package or otherwise in any quantity
Like at Festivals, Fairs and such.

Last edited:

phred

CHAPTER 33 City Ordinance Code Book Green Bay.
(a) Class "A" (Beer) License. Authorizes retail sales of fermented malt beverages in original packages, containers, and bottles for consumption off the premises where sold.
(b) "Class A" (Liquor) License. Authorizes the retail sale of intoxicating liquor in original packages, containers, and bottles for consumption off the premises where sold.
http://www.ci.green-bay.wi.us/codebook/chp33.pdf

Doesn't serve imply sold and consumed on the premises? Class "A" sells for consumption off the premises where sold.

BROKENSPROKET

NO! Not by the letter of the law, but I have. I OC'd at a tractor pull and beer was being sold. I even spoke breifly with an LEO on the grounds. No issue.

Also, I do not think that the prior permission exception cannot apply to EVENTS as the Class B liscense is a temporary liscense that are issued to organizations, not businesses.

I am sure someone will be by to clarify.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Why bother. Some wageslave will pontificate without reading or comprehending.

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0125.pdf
Wisc. Stats. said:
§ 125.26 Class “B” licenses. (1) Every municipal governing body may issue Class “B” licenses for the sale of fermented malt beverages from premises within the municipality and may authorize an official or body of the municipality to issue temporary Class “B” licenses under sub.
§ 125.27 issues permits to certified clubs.

The fornicating statutes are there for all to read and heed! The law abides the law abiding only.

qball54208

NO! Not by the letter of the law, but I have. I OC'd at a tractor pull and beer was being sold. I even spoke breifly with an LEO on the grounds. No issue.

Also, I do not think that the prior permission exception cannot apply to EVENTS as the Class B liscense is a temporary liscense that are issued to organizations, not businesses.

Now that's exactly what my point is!

paul@paul-fisher.com

I guess what is your point? I speed in the presence of LEO's and sometimes I don't get a ticket. It's still illegal. Just because you got away with it doesn't mean anything. The law is quite clear. If you want to open yourself up for citation/arrest, more power to you.

941.237 states
Whoever intentionally goes armed with a handgun on any premises for which a Class “B” or “Class B” license or permit has been issued under ch. 125 is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
There are several exceptions, but the only one most of 'us' would fit under is 941.237(3)(g)
The possession or use of a handgun on the premises if authorized for a specific event of limited duration by the owner or manager of the premises who is issued the Class “B” or “Class B” license or permit under ch. 125 for the premises.

There are no exemptions for 'temporary' events. Go read it yourself at http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0941.pdf

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

I guess what is your point? I speed in the presence of LEO's and sometimes I don't get a ticket. It's still illegal. Just because you got away with it doesn't mean anything. The law is quite clear. If you want to open yourself up for citation/arrest, more power to you.

Yup, more power to me. But that was not my point. I stated that one cannot by the letter of the law.

941.237 states There are several exceptions, but the only one most of 'us' would fit under is 941.237(3)(g)

There are no exemptions for 'temporary' events. Go read it yourself at http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0941.pdf
Don't you mean 'temporary licenses'.

To clarify, I do not believe that 941.237(3)(g) can apply to licenses issued under 125.26(6).

Doug Huffman

Banned
Your statement is clear. The logic to that conclusion is not. Please explain.

Wisc. Stats. said:
§ 941.237(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to any of the following:
[ ... ]
(g) The possession or use of a handgun on the premises if authorized for a specific event of limited duration by the owner or manager of the premises who is issued the Class “B” or “Class B” license or permit under ch. 125 for the premises.
Wisc. Stats. said:
§ 125.26 Class “B” licenses.
[ ... ]
(6) Temporary Class “B” licenses may be issued to bona fide clubs, to county or local fair associations or agricultural societies, to churches, lodges or societies that have been in existence for at least 6 months before the date of application and to posts of veterans organizations authorizing the sale of fermented malt beverages
at a particular picnic or similar gathering, at a meeting of the post, or during a fair conducted by the fair association or agricultural society. The amount of the fee for the license shall be determined by the municipal governing body issuing the license but may not exceed $10. An official or body authorized by a municipal
governing body to issue temporary Class “B” licenses may, upon issuance of any temporary Class “B” license, authorize the licensee to permit underage persons to be on the premises for which the license is issued. A license issued to a county or district fair licenses the entire fairgrounds where the fair is being conducted and all persons engaging in retail sales of fermented malt beverages from leased stands on the fairgrounds. The county or district fair to which the license is issued may lease stands on the fairgrounds to persons who may engage in retail sales of fermented malt beverages from the stands while the fair is being held.
I don't see the differentiation between business and organization.

Last edited:

qball54208

Deep thoughts by ME

Similarly to LEO, we as OC'ers use discretion as well. Just because you are not adhering to a Law, does not mean that you can be "busted". Some LEO's do see situations for what they are.
I mean I blew past an un marked squad car one time on the Interstate, ( yupper, just once) doin 85+. He sped up to my vehicle ( to run my plate) I slowed down to 75, he stayed w/ me for about a mile and then backed off. As my plate came back clean, he decided not to initiate a traffic stop. I am not bragging, just giving a real world assessment. As for speeding you either get lucky or get caught, my days are numbered!
Even though you are walking a fine line, acting and carrying yourself in a manner befitting a reasonable and responsible adult is a good idea. Not walking about all cocky and ****, acting like a normal human being.
As an old timer once said to me, "you dictate how people will treat you" How true!

BROKENSPROKET

I don't see the differentiation between business and organization.

Here is my logic, Doug.

I don't see a direct differentation either, but all the orginizations listed under 125.26(6) are not privately owned so one could argue that there is no 'owner or manager' as described in 941.237(3)(g). The organizations have Boards and such permission would have to be granted during a board meeting under Roberts Rules and recorded in the minutes, if they even could give such permission.

But more clearly, under 941.237(3)(g), 'Temporary Class "B" license' or 'Temporary "Class B" license is not listed.

Last edited:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Who is issued the license to a non-business, but a an agent of the managing and/or proprietary board? Even IIRC that is the label for the signature line on the license - see Town Law Forms.

Robert's Rules are not in any way significant. Rules of parliamentary procedures are not specified or mandated by statute. Minutes of a non-governmental body are not required under Chapter 19.

The whole of Chapter 125 is listed in § 941.237(3)(g) and "temporary" is not excepted.

Woodchuck

Just like Brokensprocket, I too have carried at a few "events". Problem is, I was at one that the "event" basically involved the entire town. There was crap for the fair setup all over the place and no specific "beer tent". Does this mean then that I lose my right to carry anywhere in that town in a situation like this?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Depends on premises covered as described on the permit/license.

I think the lesson to be taken from this confabulation is for us that deal in alcohol licenses, applying/permitting, to be more careful in the description of the licensed premises. I'll not just use the AmLegion post address again but describe more precisely the permitted premises.