• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Marijuana + Guns = ?

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

What does the equation equal? In california people are allowed medical marijuana and the right to oc. So here it is, do you think people that smoke marijuana should still be allowed to oc? (Not while being high people)? If no, why? If yes, why? Please give good answers and not just "pot" makes you stupid. Would you go to a shooting range with someone that smoked (again not while high)? And final question, would you go shooting with someone who was medicated on marijuana?

IT'S HYPOTHETICAL PEOPLE!

Tekniqe

I would argue that there is difference between medicated and recreational (though some recreational might claim it is medical in nature for them). In my experience, there are some responsible smokers, and some not so responsible. As it is, I wouldn't shoot with the irresponsible smokers, even if they didn't smoke. It varies from person to person, but the fact is that there are some people I wouldn't like to shoot with period. That they smoke is almost a non-issue. A responsible shooter is a responsible shooter.

hgreen

Drinking alcohol is legal everywhere OC is allowed.

Its up to people to be responsible with whatever they consume and make their own personal choices when OCing.

When they screw up, they lose some of their rights.

Wheelie19

I would argue that there is difference between medicated and recreational (though some recreational might claim it is medical in nature for them). In my experience, there are some responsible smokers, and some not so responsible. As it is, I wouldn't shoot with the irresponsible smokers, even if they didn't smoke. It varies from person to person, but the fact is that there are some people I wouldn't like to shoot with period. That they smoke is almost a non-issue. A responsible shooter is a responsible shooter.

I guess I've got to agree with Tekniqe on this. I've seen way to many "no-no's" and bad muzzle manners from experienced "sober" people who should know better. At an annual shooting trip (no pun intended) I go on, there are a couple of regulars there that I've come to know as friends. And yes, I do smell pot coming from their tent a couple of times a day. Would I prefer that they were not doing it? Yes. But they are very conscientious and are super-safe on the firing line. I guess it comes down to "a responsible shooter is a responsible shooter".

aadvark

Marijuana+Guns=Alcohol+Guns=Guns within a 1000 feet of a School=NO PROBLEM!
Simple Arithmatic Folks, for everyday regular People.
I live in a State where both 2 and 3 of that Equaltion are Reality!

Iopencarry

Its up to people to be responsible with whatever they consume and make their own personal choices when OCing.

When they screw up, they lose some of their rights.

Harley, I believe you have that backwards, OC is legal everywhere drinking is allowed.

You can not walk down the street drinking, can not drive while drinking, etc. The cities have far more laws on drinking then they do on OC

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Wow must not have seen the big black letters. Fu**!:banghead:

Wow must not be able to recognize hyperbole and rhetorical devices.

Wow also must not be able to recognize that posters have a right to question the reason for a hypothetical. Or,

Wow must think everybody else is locked-in to operating off the OP premise, like we're easily hypnotized or robotic or something.

Fu**!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

(PS to other readers: I'm usually such a well behaved poster that I think I deserve to occasionally indulge my annoyance a little. I promise to do it infrequently.)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by hgreen

Harley, I believe you have that backwards, OC is legal everywhere drinking is allowed.

Neither statement is true.

Some states do not allow carry in any establishment that serves alcohol or at least not in the "bar" area and surely OC is NOT legal in all states that permit drinking i.e. Texas.

hgreen

Neither statement is true.

Some states do not allow carry in any establishment that serves alcohol or at least not in the "bar" area and surely OC is NOT legal in all states that permit drinking i.e. Texas.

Though context was obviously not clear, I meant on a state by state basis. If the state allows OC then alcohol can be consumed in the state. Be it in your home or elsewhere.

The POINT was that there are many other types of vices people can legally use that may make carrying a firearm less than ideal, regardless of OC, CC, UOC and that people must always use their judgement as to what they consume/medicate before making the decision to carry a firearm.

Lets try to keep on point here folks.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Though context was obviously not clear, I meant on a state by state basis. If the state allows OC then alcohol can be consumed in the state. Be it in your home or elsewhere.

The POINT was that there are many other types of vices people can legally use that may make carrying a firearm less than ideal, regardless of OC, CC, UOC and that people must always use their judgement as to what they consume/medicate before making the decision to carry a firearm.

Lets try to keep on point here folks.

Arizona, an otherwise gold star state, does not allow OC when drinking - CC is required when in establishments that serve alcohol.

Many different medications should preclude causal use of a firearm; however, I do not believe that my right to protect my life should diminish therewith.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Are you saying negligent or accidental use would not be precluded? :D

I undressed neither.

One might conclude that negligence and/or accident ought to included but the same can hardly be precluded as then they become deliberately clouded, or not. Clear?

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Clear?

Clear as the view in front of your battery during a fire mission. :p

The only thing that would clear that view is the wind. But, I think we have enough wind here already. :p:p

PS: We need a "raspberry" smiley. Thpbbbbbbbbs! :D

Last edited:

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
I've known many people who use medically or recreationally, and most of them are gun enthusiests. Some of them I trust around firearms, others I don't. Period. One of my good friends never mixes the two, but even sober he has very little concept of muzzle control. I refuse to shoot with him anymore, though we're still good friends.

Other friends I've been out and we've had a few beers each while out on a private range. I've seen a couple of them pass a pipe between turns at the lane. I've never seen one of them mishandle a firearm or endanger the safety of another. I shoot with them as often as possible, sober or not.

People need to realize that there are propaganda campaigns against firearms, alcohol, and marijuana. Of course there will be false claims of significant danger in mixing any of these. In reality, I find no reason to believe any of it.

1245A Defender

its not the booze or the gangaa!!!

I've known many people who use medically or recreationally, and most of them are gun enthusiests. Some of them I trust around firearms, others I don't. Period. One of my good friends never mixes the two, but even sober he has very little concept of muzzle control. I refuse to shoot with him anymore, though we're still good friends.

Other friends I've been out and we've had a few beers each while out on a private range. I've seen a couple of them pass a pipe between turns at the lane. I've never seen one of them mishandle a firearm or endanger the safety of another. I shoot with them as often as possible, sober or not.

People need to realize that there are propaganda campaigns against firearms, alcohol, and marijuana. Of course there will be false claims of significant danger in mixing any of these. In reality, I find no reason to believe any of it.

its the ass holes!!!

some are good with guns,, always!
some can not be trusted any time!