• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State law on voice/video recording?

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

Taken from alabama's thread post. My question is this, do you have to inform an leo/bg that you are recording them for it to be allowed in court? Or can you leave it where it is, recording, and not say anything? Anyone got pc's?

codename_47

If you are suing in federal court, which is where you should be suing, you don't have to notify anyone.

Tekniqe

As I've heard, you are allowed to record only where there is no expectation of privacy. Not sure of the legitimacy of that, but it makes sense. Additionally, I seem to recall several remarks asserting that police officers do not have an expectation of privacy whenever they are on duty. Again, not sure how accurate these are.

Last edited:

avdrummerboy

Law Enforcement officers have no expectation of privacy in the discharge of their duties and thus have no legal right to tell you that you cannot record them. Don't forget, the eye nor ear cannot trespass. If you are in a place where you can legally, reasonably be (your person) whatever you see or hear (even in a recording) is usable in court. Same rules apply to both you and LEO.

As to penal codes, the only ones really only deal with blatantly illegal things like wiretapping.

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

A few days ago I walked down to a DUI/License checkpoint right by the house to do some filming. Suffice to say the police did not like me being there and followed me around everywhere I went. The sergent there kept asking every police officer if I was "obstructing or interfering" with them.
After 30 minutes of filming and being stalked by the police I decided to leave.
I got interesting footage of a van full of illegals trying to drive through a hedge to avoid the check point and I also have 20 minutes of footage of the police stalking me, lol.