Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Clip When OC'ing or no Ammo Clip?

Carry Extra Magizines When OC/CC'ing?

Wondering how many carry an extra clip on your belt when you OC. I have a G23 40. with 10. It should be enough...right?

What are your thought NC OC'ers?
    Last edited by Northerner; 08-29-2010 at 09:35 PM.

The magazine for my xd45 holds 13 and I believe that's plenty.
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. — Carl Sagan

When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

I rarely wear a MAGAZINE pouch, but a lot of times I'll drop one in my cargo pockets if I'm wearing them.

And there is always one in my nightstand and my center console.

i wear an extra mag but then again i have a 1911 so only 8+1 in the pistol so an extra 8 is just in case

the only time you have to much ammo is when it slows you down or you have no place to keep it
    GO PIRATES!!!!!

I haven't in the past, but I just ordered a cheap double mag holder for my XD45 (13 rounds.) I haven't decided when I will carry the extra mags, but one of the primary reasons is to balance the weight on the right side of my body. I also ordered a gun belt at the time (currently using a plain leather belt) and if that works, the extra mags will be less likely. However, I do carry one extra on my person (in a pocket) and/or in my vehicle at any given time.

Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    I haven't in the past, but I just ordered a cheap double mag holder for my XD45 (13 rounds.) I haven't decided when I will carry the extra mags, but one of the primary reasons is to balance the weight on the right side of my body. I also ordered a gun belt at the time (currently using a plain leather belt) and if that works, the extra mags will be less likely. However, I do carry one extra on my person (in a pocket) and/or in my vehicle at any given time.
    You will like the gun belt. If it does its job, the weight will be distributed on your hips and you wont have that lopsided feeling.

That was my hope-found the belt for about $30 and the mag holder for $10. It was a pain finding something that would take two double stack .45 mags though.

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Yes - ALWAYS. Though the amount varies depending on what gun I am carrying and what kind of clothing.

REMEMBER: NOBODY EVER LOSES A GUNFIGHT BECAUSE THEY HAD TOO MUCH AMMUNITION!

I always have at least one extra mag (or speedloader) on me whether CCing or OCing.

There is a company called Passport that makes a lot of inexpensive holsters & pouches constructed from woven nylon. I have found that I really like their double-mag pouch. I am able to fit 2 single-stack 1911 mags in each of the pockets, for a total of 4 extra mags (4x8=32 cartridges). The pouch costs all of $14. The key to being able to carry a pouch containing 4 mags on my hip opposite my gun is [drumroll] a GOOD gunbelt. I have a Blackhawk kydex reinforced leather belt (actually, I have two - one brown and one black), which is absolutely incredible. It makes it much more comfortable to carry a gun on one hip and a mag pouch on the other. This belt does not look like a gun belt in any way, shape, or form. It looks just like a run-of-the-mill leather belt. Don't spend $80 on a belt from Comp-Tac, or Galco, or anybody else. The Blackhawk belts I have can be had for about $45 each.

The same Passport mag pouch can be used to carry my double-stack .40 mags (13 rounds each) for my Glock 23. Northerner - I see you're using the CA-approved 10-round mags. Why not pick up the 13 round mags?

OR, it can hold 2 SR9 mags (17 rounds each).

Sometimes, regardless of which automatic I am carrying, if my clothing permits, I will slip an additional mag in a pocket, whether I am carrying the 9mm, .40, or .45.

If I'm in "deep cover" mode for the day, carrying just the LCR, then you can bet your backside I've got at least one, if not two speedloaders squirreled away somewhere. I tried the Bianchi speedstrips, but even with practice I am not nearly as proficient at quickly reloading with those as I am with the speedloaders. Though they are much easier to carry than speedloaders, I either end up taking too much time, or I drop one of the cartridges somewhere along the way with the strips.

With extra mags, I always figure that just like the gun itself, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. If it is feasible to carry "just one more" mag - do it. I'd hate for my last thought before taking one between the eyes, execution style, to be "Damn, I should have brought more ammo."

EDIT: Its late, and I'm going to bed, but tomorrow I will try to post some pics/links for the stuff I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Ruger; 08-28-2010 at 11:30 PM.
    Carry on!

I don't care if my magazine holds 4 or 40, there are times when the fastest, easiest, surest way to clear a malfunction is to swap magazines. That alone is reason enough for me to carry a spare.

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    I don't care if my magazine holds 4 or 40, there are times when the fastest, easiest, surest way to clear a malfunction is to swap magazines. That alone is reason enough for me to carry a spare.
    This is true.
    Carry on!

I carry a Para Ordnance S-14.45 (13+1) and I almost always carry one spare mag.

When I'm on the range, or at an "event" I will sometimes carry two spare mags.

When I'm on the range, I will sometimes carry up to 4 spare mags, depending on the drills I'm working on.

When the Zombies Apocalypse comes (or when MD becomes pro-OC, which ever comes first...), I'll have ALL my spare mags on my belt and in my pockets. (I have 6 total for the Para...)
    Last edited by Dreamer; 08-29-2010 at 01:10 AM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Thanks gentlemen. All good thoughts and opinions. The jam issue is definitely a possibility and may have changed my mind.

How many OC with one in the chamber/pipe? It goes against every grain of firearms safety that has been drilled into me for 20 years. The time it takes to rack a round, the potential noise racking a round makes, one less "safety" the last being my finger.

If you do carry with one in the pipe, why? Do you do it 100% of OC/CCing? What about at home? I haven't read anything in the law counter this, but any issues with LEO encounters?

Sorry for the questions? Trying to benchmark. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    Thanks gentlemen. All good thoughts and opinions. The jam issue is definitely a possibility and may have changed my mind.

How many OC with one in the chamber/pipe? It goes against every grain of firearms safety that has been drilled into me for 20 years. The time it takes to rack a round, the potential noise racking a round makes, one less "safety" the last being my finger.

If you do carry with one in the pipe, why? Do you do it 100% of OC/CCing? What about at home? I haven't read anything in the law counter this, but any issues with LEO encounters?

Sorry for the questions? Trying to benchmark. Thanks in advance.
    I started carrying a Kimber 1911 somewhere around late 95. Been one in the tube, hammer back and safety on ever since.

with my 1911 if i'm outside my house i'm condition 1 if inside my house i'm condition 3

if you have a revolver unless your carrying w/ less than a full load your always carrying cocked and locked (unless maybe it's a single six)
    GO PIRATES!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by edrolee View Post
    if you have a revolver unless your carrying w/ less than a full load your always carrying cocked and locked (unless maybe it's a single six)
    Please explain. Apparently I'm missing something.

I carry condition 1, XD45 with the slide safety (optional) on. I probably won't need to draw and shoot fast, but if I do, I can. The main reason to carry one in the chamber is in case I need to draw and fire one-handed. Have fun chambering a round with only one hand. Also, I see no good reason not to have one chambered.

I have had no LEO encounters, so I can't help you there.

Holy S. That takes me back "Condition 1." It's all a game of "what if" and certainly racking the chamber with my teeth or arm pit is not preferred. Thanks for the input.

Campaign Veteran
    I always carry one extra magazine or speedloader, and always with a round chambered. I don't have any firearms that use clips.

What I do,,

I currently carry a Glock 19 fully loaded with hollow points but no extra magazine. I carry +1, but when at home, I go condition 3.

Oh no, using the term 'clip' instead of 'magazine.' It's a shame that the terms aren't interchangeable unless you're speaking technically.

[/sarcasm]

Does it really matter if we call it a clip or a magazine? Yes, there is a difference. No, it's not important.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Oh no, using the term 'clip' instead of 'magazine.' It's a shame that the terms aren't interchangeable unless you're speaking technically.

[/sarcasm]

Does it really matter if we call it a clip or a magazine? Yes, there is a difference. No, it's not important.
    Yes using the proper terminology makes a difference. It indicates at the very least correct conversational knowledge of the subject. A clip is a very different animal from a magazine - they do not even function the same. A tabby and a cougar might both be called "kitty" but the misnomer is obvious if one is in your face.

Semi-automatic pistols cycle/function automatically but are not automatic (Class III) guns. The media/press doesn't think this is important either so frequently misapply the labels. We should be better than that.

Knowledge or the the lack of it will be part of how others will judge your level of expertise and credibility. ymmv
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Yes, always have an extra magazine. Here is my typical 10 + 10 office carry, courtesy of Kel-Tec and JBP Leather:

Edited for second question: Yes, always one in the chamber.
    Last edited by Las Vegan; 08-30-2010 at 12:33 PM.
    "The right of self-defense never ceases. It is among the most sacred, and alike necessary to nations and to individuals."
    - President James Monroe

You guys are a hoot.

Please explain. Apparently I'm missing something.

I carry condition 1, XD45 with the slide safety (optional) on. I probably won't need to draw and shoot fast, but if I do, I can. The main reason to carry one in the chamber is in case I need to draw and fire one-handed. Have fun chambering a round with only one hand. Also, I see no good reason not to have one chambered.

I have had no LEO encounters, so I can't help you there.

what i mean is unless your carrying a revolver, for example the usual 6 shot, with only 5 rounds in the cylinder and the hammer down on the empty you are always C&L with a revolver and revolvers don't have manual safteys..... unless you are carrying a single 6 with the hammer down then you have to draw and pull the hammer to fire.......

hope that is more clear
    Last edited by edrolee; 08-29-2010 at 10:19 PM.
    GO PIRATES!!!!!

Always one in the chamber.
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. — Carl Sagan

When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

I carry a G 19 with an extra mag. Always one in the chamber unless it's being cleaned. It's also always in a holster. I would rather have it holstered than feel I needed to unload the chamber. Plus, if I have to grab it from the nightstand I don't have to worry about having a ND from grabbing the trigger if it's in a holster. With a little practice you can grab the gun, hit the release on the SERPA, and drag the holster off with the front of the nightstand drawer. I've done it a couple of times when I've heard a bump in the night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast