• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo Clip When OC'ing or no Ammo Clip?

Northerner

Carry Extra Magizines When OC/CC'ing?

:question:Wondering how many carry an extra clip on your belt when you OC. I have a G23 40. with 10. It should be enough...right?

What are your thought NC OC'ers?

Last edited:

Smith45acp

I rarely wear a MAGAZINE pouch, but a lot of times I'll drop one in my cargo pockets if I'm wearing them.

And there is always one in my nightstand and my center console.

edrolee

i wear an extra mag but then again i have a 1911 so only 8+1 in the pistol so an extra 8 is just in case

the only time you have to much ammo is when it slows you down or you have no place to keep it

sultan62

I haven't in the past, but I just ordered a cheap double mag holder for my XD45 (13 rounds.) I haven't decided when I will carry the extra mags, but one of the primary reasons is to balance the weight on the right side of my body. I also ordered a gun belt at the time (currently using a plain leather belt) and if that works, the extra mags will be less likely. However, I do carry one extra on my person (in a pocket) and/or in my vehicle at any given time.

cricketdad

I haven't in the past, but I just ordered a cheap double mag holder for my XD45 (13 rounds.) I haven't decided when I will carry the extra mags, but one of the primary reasons is to balance the weight on the right side of my body. I also ordered a gun belt at the time (currently using a plain leather belt) and if that works, the extra mags will be less likely. However, I do carry one extra on my person (in a pocket) and/or in my vehicle at any given time.

You will like the gun belt. If it does its job, the weight will be distributed on your hips and you wont have that lopsided feeling.

sultan62

That was my hope-found the belt for about $30 and the mag holder for $10. It was a pain finding something that would take two double stack .45 mags though.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Yes - ALWAYS. Though the amount varies depending on what gun I am carrying and what kind of clothing.

REMEMBER: NOBODY EVER LOSES A GUNFIGHT BECAUSE THEY HAD TOO MUCH AMMUNITION!

I always have at least one extra mag (or speedloader) on me whether CCing or OCing.

There is a company called Passport that makes a lot of inexpensive holsters & pouches constructed from woven nylon. I have found that I really like their double-mag pouch. I am able to fit 2 single-stack 1911 mags in each of the pockets, for a total of 4 extra mags (4x8=32 cartridges). The pouch costs all of $14. The key to being able to carry a pouch containing 4 mags on my hip opposite my gun is [drumroll] a GOOD gunbelt. I have a Blackhawk kydex reinforced leather belt (actually, I have two - one brown and one black), which is absolutely incredible. It makes it much more comfortable to carry a gun on one hip and a mag pouch on the other. This belt does not look like a gun belt in any way, shape, or form. It looks just like a run-of-the-mill leather belt. Don't spend $80 on a belt from Comp-Tac, or Galco, or anybody else. The Blackhawk belts I have can be had for about $45 each.

The same Passport mag pouch can be used to carry my double-stack .40 mags (13 rounds each) for my Glock 23. Northerner - I see you're using the CA-approved 10-round mags. Why not pick up the 13 round mags?

OR, it can hold 2 SR9 mags (17 rounds each).

Sometimes, regardless of which automatic I am carrying, if my clothing permits, I will slip an additional mag in a pocket, whether I am carrying the 9mm, .40, or .45.

If I'm in "deep cover" mode for the day, carrying just the LCR, then you can bet your backside I've got at least one, if not two speedloaders squirreled away somewhere. I tried the Bianchi speedstrips, but even with practice I am not nearly as proficient at quickly reloading with those as I am with the speedloaders. Though they are much easier to carry than speedloaders, I either end up taking too much time, or I drop one of the cartridges somewhere along the way with the strips.

With extra mags, I always figure that just like the gun itself, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. If it is feasible to carry "just one more" mag - do it. I'd hate for my last thought before taking one between the eyes, execution style, to be "Damn, I should have brought more ammo."

EDIT: Its late, and I'm going to bed, but tomorrow I will try to post some pics/links for the stuff I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

I don't care if my magazine holds 4 or 40, there are times when the fastest, easiest, surest way to clear a malfunction is to swap magazines. That alone is reason enough for me to carry a spare.

Dreamer

I carry a Para Ordnance S-14.45 (13+1) and I almost always carry one spare mag.

When I'm on the range, or at an "event" I will sometimes carry two spare mags.

When I'm on the range, I will sometimes carry up to 4 spare mags, depending on the drills I'm working on.

When the Zombies Apocalypse comes (or when MD becomes pro-OC, which ever comes first...), I'll have ALL my spare mags on my belt and in my pockets. ;) (I have 6 total for the Para...)

Last edited:

Northerner

Thanks gentlemen. All good thoughts and opinions. The jam issue is definitely a possibility and may have changed my mind.

How many OC with one in the chamber/pipe? It goes against every grain of firearms safety that has been drilled into me for 20 years. The time it takes to rack a round, the potential noise racking a round makes, one less "safety" the last being my finger.

If you do carry with one in the pipe, why? Do you do it 100% of OC/CCing? What about at home? I haven't read anything in the law counter this, but any issues with LEO encounters?

Sorry for the questions? Trying to benchmark. Thanks in advance.

cricketdad

Thanks gentlemen. All good thoughts and opinions. The jam issue is definitely a possibility and may have changed my mind.

How many OC with one in the chamber/pipe? It goes against every grain of firearms safety that has been drilled into me for 20 years. The time it takes to rack a round, the potential noise racking a round makes, one less "safety" the last being my finger.

If you do carry with one in the pipe, why? Do you do it 100% of OC/CCing? What about at home? I haven't read anything in the law counter this, but any issues with LEO encounters?

Sorry for the questions? Trying to benchmark. Thanks in advance.

I started carrying a Kimber 1911 somewhere around late 95. Been one in the tube, hammer back and safety on ever since.

edrolee

with my 1911 if i'm outside my house i'm condition 1 if inside my house i'm condition 3

if you have a revolver unless your carrying w/ less than a full load your always carrying cocked and locked (unless maybe it's a single six)

sultan62

if you have a revolver unless your carrying w/ less than a full load your always carrying cocked and locked (unless maybe it's a single six)

Please explain. Apparently I'm missing something.

I carry condition 1, XD45 with the slide safety (optional) on. I probably won't need to draw and shoot fast, but if I do, I can. The main reason to carry one in the chamber is in case I need to draw and fire one-handed. Have fun chambering a round with only one hand. Also, I see no good reason not to have one chambered.

I have had no LEO encounters, so I can't help you there.

Northerner

Holy S. That takes me back "Condition 1." It's all a game of "what if" and certainly racking the chamber with my teeth or arm pit is not preferred. Thanks for the input.

sflem1039

What I do,,

I currently carry a Glock 19 fully loaded with hollow points but no extra magazine. I carry +1, but when at home, I go condition 3.

sultan62

Oh no, using the term 'clip' instead of 'magazine.' It's a shame that the terms aren't interchangeable unless you're speaking technically.

[/sarcasm]

Does it really matter if we call it a clip or a magazine? Yes, there is a difference. No, it's not important.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Oh no, using the term 'clip' instead of 'magazine.' It's a shame that the terms aren't interchangeable unless you're speaking technically.

[/sarcasm]

Does it really matter if we call it a clip or a magazine? Yes, there is a difference. No, it's not important.

Yes using the proper terminology makes a difference. It indicates at the very least correct conversational knowledge of the subject. A clip is a very different animal from a magazine - they do not even function the same. A tabby and a cougar might both be called "kitty" but the misnomer is obvious if one is in your face.

Semi-automatic pistols cycle/function automatically but are not automatic (Class III) guns. The media/press doesn't think this is important either so frequently misapply the labels. We should be better than that.

Knowledge or the the lack of it will be part of how others will judge your level of expertise and credibility. ymmv