Thread: shoulder holster for oc?

shoulder holster for oc?

has any one ever used a shoulder holster for oc? considering i am in a wheel chair i haveent found a belt holster very fitting so i might invest in a shoulder holster . would the police give me any trouble because it is hard to see from a side view because of my arm over the pistol?

I wear a shoulder holster at work but not for OC. Plainclothes. I think I would be concerned about wearing a S/H for OC because it may appear to be pointing at a person behind you. No matter how you look at it, say your walking around with your family, you would not want someones gun pointed in their face, unintentionally or not.

Quote Originally Posted by NYNRA View Post
    ... I think I would be concerned about wearing a S/H for OC because it may appear to be pointing at a person behind you. No matter how you look at it, say your walking around with your family, you would not want someones gun pointed in their face, unintentionally or not.
    Yeah, that's one reason why they make vertical carry shoulder holsters. I OC with shoulder holsters all the time. They are a good option to have. Someone said that for every gun that you carry, you should have three good holsters: a belt holster, and inside-the-waistband holster, and a shoulder holster. 99% of your carry needs are met, unless you need something really deep cover like a belly band or Thunderwear.
    "The right of self-defense never ceases. It is among the most sacred, and alike necessary to nations and to individuals."
    - President James Monroe

I wear a shoulder holster at work but not for OC. Plainclothes. I think I would be concerned about wearing a S/H for OC because it may appear to be pointing at a person behind you. No matter how you look at it, say your walking around with your family, you would not want someones gun pointed in their face, unintentionally or not.
    as in plainclothes like a button up t shirt or jacket? true about the whole pointing thing i will be carrying with out a round in the chamber it has its ups and downs but its safer and im new so maybe i might change once i get more experienced . with a s/h does it print much?

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post

What's a button up Tshirt?
    a hawiian shirt like a dress shirt but short sleeves

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Originally Posted by gutshot

What's a button up Tshirt?
    Quote Originally Posted by john118242 View Post
    a hawiian shirt like a dress shirt but short sleeves
    WTF - button up T-shirt? You jest or jerkith my chain, right?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

You mean a button down shirt right? Unless your one of those people who buttons his dress shirt from the bottom to top?

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    It would certainly discourage people shoving up close behind you. This might be a PLUS for a wheeler.

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Aloha shirts are GREAT for CCW -- the more wild the colors the better, to hide printing.

Quote Originally Posted by john118242 View Post
    with a s/h does it print much?
    It depends on the size of the gun and the angle of carry. I find the Aker Comfort-Flex to print less than other shoulder rigs due to the upward angle at which the gun is held.

"The right of self-defense never ceases. It is among the most sacred, and alike necessary to nations and to individuals."
    - President James Monroe

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    Aloha shirts are GREAT for CCW -- the more wild the colors the better, to hide printing.
    Printing? I never worry about printing, unless you count the imprint of a tight belt on my waistline from my OC holster and gun.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I personally have no use for a shoulder holster, but I think they're application is more for suit and tie dress. Your holsters depend on you individual needs. I personally have two holster types. Drop leg for cooler months when I may wish to wear a jacket, or a paddle. though I usually rock a leather bomber type jacket in the cooler months, so I can just tuck the jacket in behind the pistol grip. what usually becomes a problem is if you want to wear the jacket with the zipper undone. I may inadvertently conceal my firearm. Though I could go get my CCW and not worry about that, I just don't think I should have to pay for and have a permit for something that's a fundamental individual right.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada carrier View Post
    I think they're application is more for suit and tie dress.
    ...which is what I usually wear, although if I stop at a couple of stores on my way home from the office I often leave my jacket in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada carrier View Post
    I just don't think I should have to pay for and have a permit for something that's a fundamental individual right.
    Amen to that, brother.
    - President James Monroe

I had a similar question (but added it to Washington forum before seeing this one.)

I use my shoulder holster often, but mainly for CC and because I can store the 2 extra mags. I've pondered OC with it, but with mine being a horizontal draw, the person behind me might be staring down the barrel of my Beretta. I honestly never thought of that until posted. Good post.

I'll keep my Rig for CC then and use my Kydex Paddle Holster for OC until I can come up with a better plan. Now to find some mag holders to carry the extras. The pockets get heavy.