Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 61

Thread: Best Buy will be banning open carry next month

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ozaukee Co., Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    180

    Best Buy will be banning open carry next month

    Hi all,

    I was just shopping at Best Buy and was stopped by the security guy on my way out. He was very polite but regrettably informed me that next month they will be enacting a corporate policy banning open carry in their stores. I assume this means starting September 1 but did not ask for clarification.

    I have not yet contacted their corporate office but plan on doing so soon. If anybody else wants to contact them as well, you can call 1-888-BEST-BUY (237-8289) or try their "Contact us" form at http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....2104&type=page

    Geoff

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,709
    Please post the store where this information was supplied to you, and the name of the employee who informed you.

    Once I receive that information, I will immediately contact the CEO of Best Buy AGAIN!

    In July of 2009, from a Best Buy corporate attorney stating Best Buy had no such policy.

    Again, please provide the requested information and I will get a letter off straight away.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,185
    Well there you go boys. I called this.

    Write and email all you like but some places will never be comfortable with OC.

    That is THEIR RIGHT under law... hard to hear for some of you but true nonetheless.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    West Coast, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    306
    Lets take a poll, Is this "infringement" or is it "reasonable regulation"?

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
    Lets take a poll, Is this "infringement" or is it "reasonable regulation"?
    I agreed with you in the other post but your question here is non-sequitur. Best Buy is a business and as such personal property regulated by the owners who can do as they please under law.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ozaukee Co., Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    180
    This happened at the Grafton store at 8:20 tonight.
    Last edited by Geoff; 08-28-2010 at 11:33 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    West Coast, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    I agreed with you in the other post but your question here is non-sequitur. Best Buy is a business and as such personal property regulated by the owners who can do as they please under law.
    I understand your point and understand we all have rights, both the property owners and the public, but the question I have is, on what basis does a property "right" trump a 2nd amendment "right"?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ozaukee Co., Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    180
    The property right seems to have the law on its side over the 2nd amendment. However, I think any place the general public is allowed, they should be able to go armed.

    Geoff

    Edit - Perhaps Doug can provide some insight as to which 'right' has the highest legal standing.
    Last edited by Geoff; 08-28-2010 at 11:20 PM.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
    I understand your point and understand we all have rights, both the property owners and the public, but the question I have is, on what basis does a property "right" trump a 2nd amendment "right"?
    The "right" to dispose and control property precede the constitution of the US and hearken back to Natural or Common Law and do not require any amendment to be valid, however the basis may be found here:

    "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed..."

    So "the governed", us, have consented to value property rights above 2A rights.
    Last edited by Spartacus; 08-28-2010 at 11:22 PM.

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
    I understand your point and understand we all have rights, both the property owners and the public, but the question I have is, on what basis does a property "right" trump a 2nd amendment "right"?
    You have to understand that this conversation has been hashed out a number of times already across the life of the forum. It can and has gone on for pages and pages.

    Please use the search feature to inform yourself of all the angles and arguments.

    It all boils down to the fact that property rights are property rights.

    We would do well to respect their property rights, even if they won't respect our (and their own) right to defend themselves. We do not want the government telling a business it has to accept OCers, because if the government can do that, it can do other mischief as well.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    We do not want the government telling a business it has to accept OCers, because if the government can do that, it can do other mischief as well.
    Exactly. Then you would be in a socialist state.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post

    Edit - Perhaps Doug can provide some insight as to which 'right' has the highest legal standing.
    Oh God please no...

  13. #13
    Regular Member TyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    775
    I don't want to get into the debate about rights, but we can still contact them and tell them that it would be against their best interests to enact such a policy. I for one would never shop there again.

  14. #14
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    I just sent a note through their web form:

    According to the person who started this thread [http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ry-next-month] a security guard at the Grafton, WI BB claims that BB will begin infringing on civil liberties starting 01SEP.

    Open carry is legal in Wisconsin, and in fact is the only legal way to carry a tool for personal protection. Open carriers have caused no problems in BB stores, robbed or assaulted nobody, started no riots. We are law-abiding citizens who take civil liberties seriously.

    Would BB try to turn away all people of a certain color just because a few people felt uncomfortable around "them"? No, because that would infringe their civil liberties, thereby being illegal (as well as a HUGE PR problem).

    Continue your policy the way it is. Supporting civil liberties is the right and legal thing to do. (Also have a look at 18USC241 - http://www.justice.gov/crt/crim/241fin.php)

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481
    Picket the store. Make it a national thing.

    One thing they want more than exercising their land owners rights is......your money.
    Last edited by J.Gleason; 08-29-2010 at 12:24 AM.

  16. #16
    bhancock
    Guest

    Good Point

    MKEgal, it looks like a conspiracy crime to me. It would seem that a sole owner of a private property would not fall under this code but a business, especially a public business, that also includes one or more of it's employees along with the owner would be two or more conspiring to deprive. But not only is it a crime it is just plain ANTI-American. A business usually has the right to refuse to serve an individual for any reason, but once they make it about a group of people it is whole different issue. Suppose they said no Muslims, or no Native Americans, or no women.

  17. #17
    Regular Member xenophon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    316
    If true, there goes my spending of thousands of dollars in the future. Along with money from other law abiding citizens that shop Best Buy.

    I'll just go elsewhere.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    145
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was a mall policy instead of a best buy corporate policy.

  19. #19
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    The property right seems to have the law on its side over the 2nd amendment. However, I think any place the general public is allowed, they should be able to go armed.

    Geoff

    Edit - Perhaps Doug can provide some insight as to which 'right' has the highest legal standing.
    Constitutional rights are protections against government infringement, not private infringement. So the right of the property owner means everything in such an instance, and the Constitution simply does not apply. If we wanted a right to go armed into a business it would require an addition to Wisconsin's public accommodations law (Ch. 106.52) to add something like "lawfully bearing a firearm or other arms" to the list of discriminatory actions that a "place of public accommodations" e.g., businesses, are prohibited from doing. Currently businesses cannot discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, creed, disability, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry and in some instances, age.

    Madison has a larger number of protected groups under it's public accommodations ordinance: sex, race,
    religion, color, national origin or ancestry, age, handicap/disability, marital status, source of income, arrest record or conviction record, less than honorable discharge, physical appearance, sexual orientation, political beliefs, familial status, or the fact that such person is a student, or the fact that such a person is a member of a domestic partnership. But nothing that protects gun carriers from discriminatory actions by private businesses!

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    My de facto boycott of BestBuy.

    I have not darkened the doors of BB since long before I left Charleston, SC on 13 January 2005. Unfortunately I do use Napster as my music download vendor, it's owned by BB.

    I avoid, to the extent possible, Big Box (notice the coincidence) stores, preferring to trade with Mom & Pop local vendors. I "buy Island", from my 105 year old grocery and from the other local businesses, even when I disagree with their prices, politics, policies or personalities. Only when they can't provide me with my very odd purchases do I order off the internet or - heaven forfend - go off Island.

    Currently my preferred local "hardware" store (there are two, one I avoid) is trying to source 10# quantities of boric acid. They have become a reliable source of potassium monopersulfate in kilogram quantities. Next I'll ask them if they can provide sodium percarbonate. So far my other chemicals have been available under peculiar brand names, sodium carbonate as Arm & Hammer Washing Soda , but boric acid sold as insecticide in 1# jars costs as much a 10# technical for the packaging, labeling and marketing as insecticide. Some of this is my attempt to implement Pat. No. 5352409 and some to start formulating DIY versions of household products (hypothetically for SHTF scenarios).

  21. #21
    McX
    Guest
    doug, what are the chemicals for? are you working on your cold fusion generator again?!

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    I started with them by buying generic chemicals for my hottub. I am tired of chasing Total Alkalinity and pH, pouring first one and then the other, due to the weak buffer solution implicit in the chemistry that I selected. So I found what appears to be a more capable buffer solution (Pat. No. 5352409) and am learning and preparing to implement that.

    Previously I have resented the expense of such as "Jet Dry" rinse solution for the DW and have shifted to white vinegar @ ~$1/gallon. Now I am rounding up the chemicals to make laundry-soap, DW-soap, and so on.

  23. #23
    Regular Member anmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stevens Point WI, ,
    Posts
    879
    Time to fire off a letter to BB I guess. Let them know that while I respect the company to put a policy into place in its stores that I would like to know how they plan to ensure the safety of the customers now that they will be defenseless against violent crime.

    Also I will let them know that I will use Google News Alerts to monitor for reports of violent crime on property owned by Best Buy and that when, not if, there is such an incident that letters to local media will be sent out reminding people that BB allowed crime to happen by removing the right to protection from its stores.

  24. #24
    McX
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    I started with them by buying generic chemicals for my hottub. I am tired of chasing Total Alkalinity and pH, pouring first one and then the other, due to the weak buffer solution implicit in the chemistry that I selected. So I found what appears to be a more capable buffer solution (Pat. No. 5352409) and am learning and preparing to implement that.

    Previously I have resented the expense of such as "Jet Dry" rinse solution for the DW and have shifted to white vinegar @ ~$1/gallon. Now I am rounding up the chemicals to make laundry-soap, DW-soap, and so on.
    doug, i would ask that you abandon your hot tub heavy water experiments. Historical data shows you have been less than successful in some endeavors;

    attempt to harness volcanic activity to generate steam- kracatoa volcanic explosion.
    2nd attempt to harness volcanic activity- mt. st. helen's eruption
    attempt to produce electricity by harnessing tecktonic plate shifts- california earthquakes
    attempt to produce anti-matter- alleged meteor explosion over soviet russia
    attempt to generate a sustainable heat/light reaction- chicago fire.
    and ofcourse- attempt to alter planet weather- global warming.

    just kidding guy, i thought you'd get a laugh, as your often blamed here for other things unrelated to you.
    i hear your working on injecting microwave radiation into the sun for greater luminocity- something tells me that will be the coming solar flares. heh-heh.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481
    The strange Island of Dr. Huffman. lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •