• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best Buy will be banning open carry next month

M

McX

doug, what are the chemicals for? are you working on your cold fusion generator again?!

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
I started with them by buying generic chemicals for my hottub. I am tired of chasing Total Alkalinity and pH, pouring first one and then the other, due to the weak buffer solution implicit in the chemistry that I selected. So I found what appears to be a more capable buffer solution (Pat. No. 5352409) and am learning and preparing to implement that.

Previously I have resented the expense of such as "Jet Dry" rinse solution for the DW and have shifted to white vinegar @ ~$1/gallon. Now I am rounding up the chemicals to make laundry-soap, DW-soap, and so on.

anmut

Time to fire off a letter to BB I guess. Let them know that while I respect the company to put a policy into place in its stores that I would like to know how they plan to ensure the safety of the customers now that they will be defenseless against violent crime.

Also I will let them know that I will use Google News Alerts to monitor for reports of violent crime on property owned by Best Buy and that when, not if, there is such an incident that letters to local media will be sent out reminding people that BB allowed crime to happen by removing the right to protection from its stores.

M

McX

I started with them by buying generic chemicals for my hottub. I am tired of chasing Total Alkalinity and pH, pouring first one and then the other, due to the weak buffer solution implicit in the chemistry that I selected. So I found what appears to be a more capable buffer solution (Pat. No. 5352409) and am learning and preparing to implement that.

Previously I have resented the expense of such as "Jet Dry" rinse solution for the DW and have shifted to white vinegar @ ~$1/gallon. Now I am rounding up the chemicals to make laundry-soap, DW-soap, and so on.

doug, i would ask that you abandon your hot tub heavy water experiments. Historical data shows you have been less than successful in some endeavors;

attempt to harness volcanic activity to generate steam- kracatoa volcanic explosion.
2nd attempt to harness volcanic activity- mt. st. helen's eruption
attempt to produce electricity by harnessing tecktonic plate shifts- california earthquakes
attempt to produce anti-matter- alleged meteor explosion over soviet russia
attempt to generate a sustainable heat/light reaction- chicago fire.
and ofcourse- attempt to alter planet weather- global warming.

just kidding guy, i thought you'd get a laugh, as your often blamed here for other things unrelated to you.
i hear your working on injecting microwave radiation into the sun for greater luminocity- something tells me that will be the coming solar flares. heh-heh.

Doug Huffman

Banned
I'm gonna do a 'New member introduction' post thread soon as thanks to y'all that have stood up for righteousness.

I started early this morning but got distracted by a bowl of wheaties that needed some used beer. In it I will tell as much of my "banning" as I am allowed.

Last edited:

rotty

I spent a good portion of my adult life ( after college ) working for Best Buy at the world HQ in Minneapolis Mn. I can say that I never heard a single conversation about this at the corporate level but I did send an email to some of my still employed contacts to see if I can get some clarification on this being a " company policy "

I will post back when and if I can get an official response.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
an FYI on Boric acid powder, when sprinkled in shoes regularly, it keeps the bacteria from growing that make shoes stink, it is also useful in the treatment of "Jungle-Rot" and preventing athletes foot fungus from growing. (Southern home remedies) it is also a main ingredient in roach preventative powders.
I typically get it at the pharmacy

Doug Huffman

Banned
Maybe a national SHTF thread on generic equivalents would be valuable.

When I get a minute I have the e-book (Kindle) 'Why There's Antifreeze in Your Toothpaste' by Simon Quellen Field'.

But then I recall someone here posting damning lead Pb pipes so there's that ignorance similar to hoplophobia to overcome. Elemental metallic lead is just as harmless as is elemental metallic mercury Hg, cadmium Cd, uranium U(!)... But that stuff isn't taught in HS any more - to our doom

Last edited:

hardballer

500,000 Americans showed up in DC for a Restore Honor rally. I suspect Best Buy is choosing the wrong time and Place for this incredibly myopic stance on open carry. Money is the important denominator here. If OC members from across the country (I am talking about a significant number here) sent emails boycotting their stores, I sucspect they would get the message.

Taking a stand against the majority of Americans (which is exactly what it is) will not be a popular stance.

I for one, Will be making my electronic, DVD, supplies and programing purchases, elsewhere till further notice. Ba bye, Bad buy.

As for the private property BS, If you open your doors to the general public, you have no private property rights and every time we acquiesce to their narrow minded, counter intuitive, liberal driven, anti-constitutional BS rules, we encourage and promote this same behavior in others.

I learned my lesson with the Citizens Bank in La Crosse. I was wrong to be so accommodating. My natural inclination is to be a nice guy. I aim to misbehave from this moment on. If you want to be a private property owner, have a gate with an card check and only allow those you want in your store. Or those by invitation only. Then you have private property.

Old argument, I know. I won't solve it today. Thanks for listening.

hardballer

I sent them an email just moments ago.

I regret to inform you that I and many of my companions will no longer be shopping in your stores until you bring your open carry/gun policy in line with states laws.

This notice does not preclude the idea of picketing or protests at store locations and of course using Face Book or other online venues to alert the world of your cow-toeing to the radical liberal minority in this country.

500 thousand plus show at a Glen Beck Rally. Over 80 million gun owners. I think you can see where this is going.

Good luck and best wishes, David Landro.

phred

Elemental metallic lead is just as harmless as is elemental metallic mercury Hg, cadmium Cd, uranium U(!)... But that stuff isn't taught in HS any more - to our doom

Uh, It was taught to my Chem students. However, continuous battles with the "higher ups" still took a lot of meat out the curriculum. My successor now has to "make do". Political correctness and CYA flourish in educational administration. Free thinking may not be allowed much anymore. So, Constitutional understanding suffers.

Spartacus

Banned
I started early this morning but got distracted by a bowl of wheaties that needed some used beer. In it I will tell as much of my "banning" as I am allowed.

The scuttlebutt is that you better start telling... and apologizing about your sockpuppeteering.

(Spartacus pops a brewski, grabs a bowl of popcorn and settles into his easy-chair to await the next chapter of Dougie's Dirty Laundry).

Doug Huffman

Banned
The scuttlebutt is that you better start telling... and apologizing about your sockpuppeteering. (Spartacus pops a brewski, grabs a bowl of popcorn and settles into his easy-chair to await the next chapter of Dougie's Dirty Laundry).
I got a PM from Administrator at 0814, to which I promptly responded and closed "Respectfully".

Enjoy your brewski and popcorn while my schadenfreude cools, it's a dish enjoyed best cold.

Last edited:

Spartacus

Banned
I got a PM from Administrator at 0814, to which I promptly responded and closed "Respectfully".

Enjoy your brewski and popcorn while my schadenfreude cools, it's a dish enjoyed best cold.

You cooked your schadenfreude yourself so enjoy it and remember it is best served with warm crow.

Last edited:

comp45acp

The scuttlebutt is that you better start telling... and apologizing about your sockpuppeteering.

(Spartacus pops a brewski, grabs a bowl of popcorn and settles into his easy-chair to await the next chapter of Dougie's Dirty Laundry).

Now this is funny beyond measure.