• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best Buy will be banning open carry next month

Spartacus

Banned
The topic is that large corporations rarely do anything off the cuff. So Best Buy has probably already spent tens of thousands on market studies as to what a gun ban will cost them and are well prepared to deal with the consequences. Even if you could get all the gun-rights advocates on one page with a boycott I doubt very much that it would impact their bottom line very much and would be poor PR for us.

The bottom line for me is that I believe in a free America and the rights of businesses to conduct said business as they chose without government interference telling them who they have to accept business from. What happens in Best Buy today could happen in Walmart, Sam's Club and Costco tomorrow and I will respect their wishes as well.

anmut

The topic is that large corporations rarely do anything off the cuff. So Best Buy has probably already spent tens of thousands on market studies as to what a gun ban will cost them and are well prepared to deal with the consequences. Even if you could get all the gun-rights advocates on one page with a boycott I doubt very much that it would impact their bottom line very much and would be poor PR for us.

The bottom line for me is that I believe in a free America and the rights of businesses to conduct said business as they chose without government interference telling them who they have to accept business from. What happens in Best Buy today could happen in Walmart, Sam's Club and Costco tomorrow and I will respect their wishes as well.

And really the REAL issue with these giant corporations goes far beyond their gun policy. I try not to shop at any of them just due to the fact that they cost Americans jobs by forcing prices and outsourcing. I do not believe that their employment ratio to jobs cost is even close to equal.

Shop local if at all possible. That way if you run into OC resistance the owner usually isn't more than a phone call away. He won't have a gang of lawyers either to talk them out of respecting peoples rights.

Cobra469

I am currently working on a contract with Best Buy and according to Loss Prevention in the stores I have been to as well as the Store Managers they have heard of no such policy. They also stated that such a policy if it were true would involve a lot more than a simple memo. Signage would be needed as well as a procedure to handle such a situation. But then again the stores I asked about have yet to see anybody carry a firearm that wasn't an off duty officer. Or so they believe. As far as I am concerned it sounds like a Loss Prevention Officer blowing smoke up somebodies butt.

Second of all until they post signs or notify me directly I have no intention to comply. After all 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand notifications are far from a legal notification. I would go back and ask to speak to the Store Manager. Not an Assistant Manager but the person who answers directly to the District Manager or the is the DM themselves. After all if this information was factual it had to be passed down the ranks from somewhere.

rotty

I spent a good portion of my adult life ( after college ) working for Best Buy at the world HQ in Minneapolis Mn. I can say that I never heard a single conversation about this at the corporate level but I did send an email to some of my still employed contacts to see if I can get some clarification on this being a " company policy "

I will post back when and if I can get an official response.

Update ** I got a official response of " I can not comment on that at this time "

Got a phone call saying this is a very real possibility and that a lot of people think it stinks and should fall within state guidelines.

Bummer .. looks like rumors can be real ...

Spartacus

Banned
Second of all until they post signs or notify me directly I have no intention to comply. After all 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand notifications are far from a legal notification. I would go back and ask to speak to the Store Manager. Not an Assistant Manager but the person who answers directly to the District Manager or the is the DM themselves. After all if this information was factual it had to be passed down the ranks from somewhere.

Actually there does not need to be signs and if even the door greeter informs you of store policy, any further entrance into the store is considered a trespass and can be prosecuted as such.

JJC

Best Buy La Crosse

Stopped at BB in La Crosse tonight. Spent about 90 minutes there, with a friend. (both OC'ing.)
Ran into another OC'er. Exchanged greetings. swapped information and talked for quit some time.
Had a few BB workers stop and ask if they could help find what we were looking for. Observed a couple of BB workers walk by checking out our the 1 45 and 2 40s on our belts.

I've been in BB many times in the past without issue.

All in All, it was a good time.

The 45 was carried by a friend ( now a good friend). One 40 was on my belt, the other was carried by a relative newbe to OCing.

We all spent some of our money a BB tonight.

Carry on.

JJC

xenophon

Stopped at BB in La Crosse tonight. Spent about 90 minutes there, with a friend. (both OC'ing.)
Ran into another OC'er. Exchanged greetings. swapped information and talked for quit some time.
Had a few BB workers stop and ask if they could help find what we were looking for. Observed a couple of BB workers walk by checking out our the 1 45 and 2 40s on our belts.

I've been in BB many times in the past without issue.

All in All, it was a good time.

The 45 was carried by a friend ( now a good friend). One 40 was on my belt, the other was carried by a relative newbe to OCing.

We all spent some of our money a BB tonight.

Carry on.

JJC

Nice!! I never run into anyone else OC when out :/ Good job!

smithman

Actually there does not need to be signs and if even the door greeter informs you of store policy, any further entrance into the store is considered a trespass and can be prosecuted as such.

If this happens, always ask to speak with a manager. Sometimes the greeters/security guys can get a big head and when a manager actually speaks with you he'll tell you: "we follow state law".

Geoff

I received a message from BB headquarters today saying their policy is to follow state laws. They said someone will be calling tomorrow to follow up with me.

Geoff

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
I received a message from BB headquarters today saying their policy is to follow state laws. They said someone will be calling tomorrow to follow up with me.

Geoff

If that's true, won't have worry about running into WAVE ghouls when buying that 72 inch TV there. WAVE on it's Facebook page says it's members avoid Starbucks (i.e. businesses that follow state law.)

Ghoul definition:

"someone who is interested in or enjoys unpleasant situations involving death or injury"

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/ghoul

icepik

any OC events being planned in Grafton ? I have not been there in about 5 years now. My Grandmother lived on 6th ave, near St. Paul church for 50 years.

Nothing in Grafton at the moment that I'm aware of.

There is a meet/greet in West Bend coming up on the 26th at 1pm at Starbucks on Paradise Drive. That's about as close to Grafton as I've seen.

I've talked to a couple of places about "hosting" a meet/greet here, just waiting on an answer back from the owners.

I'll let ya know if I can set something up.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Nothing in Grafton at the moment that I'm aware of.

There is a meet/greet in West Bend coming up on the 26th at 1pm at Starbucks on Paradise Drive. That's about as close to Grafton as I've seen.

I've talked to a couple of places about "hosting" a meet/greet here, just waiting on an answer back from the owners.

I'll let ya know if I can set something up.

please do. I spent so many summers at my Grand mothers house when I was younger, It's almost a second home to me. cool little town, that has grown so much in the last 30 years,

Canard

I carry in BB all the tme no issues. What I do have issues with at BB is their policy to routinely violate peoples right to privacy. If I'm carrying a bag going in they ask to look inside. I always say no. They also ask to look in my bag on the way out and confirm the purchase with the receipt. Sorry, "I bought it and it's mine now you don't get to look inside".