• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Well that was a bit of a different encounter while OC.

goalseter88

i went to CiCi pizza to go for the buffet. and when i get in the manager half way threw ringing me up realized i was carrying a gun, and starts off with the are you a cop question. i told him no, and he started to say that i have to remove the gun to eat here, but as i was about to walk out after telling him it is legal. i added in randomly that even do have my conceal carry license. as soon as i told him that he asked for it, so i showed him i in fact did. and he let me OC after that.

but i talked to him, telling him i not CCW carrying and that i OC, i dont even have to have a CCW license to do that. but he told me that he just needed something showing that it was legal for me to carry my gun.( i think he meant by legal, that i had gone threw training and know how to carry a gun properly b/c i stressed to him it was legal for me to carry it without the permit. i just choose to have the conceal carry for if i want to conceal it instead of OC)

i just found this different. i mean there are some cities like that, that require you to have a ccw license to OC, but this is the first store that been to that wont allow you to OC unless you got your CCW license.

Big Boy

It's just people not knowing the law. The first time I found this site a few years ago I was, I guess you could say "shocked" that you can just carry in the open.

It's not a norm for most people. It wasn't even a norm for a person like me involved in guns and shooting. Society has done a good job pulling the wool over our eyes on our rights, and not everybody notices. All we can do is, just what you did. Carry and inform, respectfully.

afcarry

I have to agree. The most common questions when they see you carrying a gun is either "do you have a permit" or "are you a cop." I just do my best to encourage people to get trained and start carrying.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

i went to CiCi pizza to go for the buffet. and when i get in the manager half way threw ringing me up realized i was carrying a gun, and starts off with the are you a cop question. i told him no, and he started to say that i have to remove the gun to eat here, but as i was about to walk out after telling him it is legal. i added in randomly that even do have my conceal carry license. as soon as i told him that he asked for it, so i showed him i in fact did. and he let me OC after that.

but i talked to him, telling him i not CCW carrying and that i OC, i dont even have to have a CCW license to do that. but he told me that he just needed something showing that it was legal for me to carry my gun.( i think he meant by legal, that i had gone threw training and know how to carry a gun properly b/c i stressed to him it was legal for me to carry it without the permit. i just choose to have the conceal carry for if i want to conceal it instead of OC)

i just found this different. i mean there are some cities like that, that require you to have a ccw license to OC, but this is the first store that been to that wont allow you to OC unless you got your CCW license.

I'm going to give you a hard time on this, just because I can. Did you not learn from the incident in Bolivar? :lol: Time and place. I do recall I was OC'ing yesterday because it was so stinking hot...and I keep waiting for the Spfld. po-po to show up and become unnecessarily aggressive.

Which location...North or South? I've yet to OC in the South location, but I do CCW when I'm there...primarily due to the number of children that tend to be inside. I don't frequent the North location as the atmosphere feels very cold.

I've noted a change in managers in Spfld at CiCi's, so I'm not a bit surprised at their ignorance. Did you take the time to invite the manager to the match on the 4th? You never know when someone might just take you up on it.

It's getting to the point that if I have to educate one more LEO or one more business owner that I'm going to start sending them an invoice billing them for my time.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP but he told me that he just needed something showing that it was legal for me to carry my gun.

We run into this a lot. People surprised that it is legal. I think it stems from an embryonic police state mentality, or rather unconscious acceptance thereof.

The fact of the matter is the laws works exactly in the reverse. If something is not prohibited, it is legal. The oldie-but-goodie shirt example works: Is there a law that makes it legal for the counter-man to wear a blue shirt?

goalseter88

I'm going to give you a hard time on this, just because I can. Did you not learn from the incident in Bolivar? :lol: Time and place. I do recall I was OC'ing yesterday because it was so stinking hot...and I keep waiting for the Spfld. po-po to show up and become unnecessarily aggressive.

Which location...North or South? I've yet to OC in the South location, but I do CCW when I'm there...primarily due to the number of children that tend to be inside. I don't frequent the North location as the atmosphere feels very cold.

I've noted a change in managers in Spfld at CiCi's, so I'm not a bit surprised at their ignorance. Did you take the time to invite the manager to the match on the 4th? You never know when someone might just take you up on it.

It's getting to the point that if I have to educate one more LEO or one more business owner that I'm going to start sending them an invoice billing them for my time.

i did learn from the cops being called on me by a gas station worker in bolivar. i learned that they arent very aware of OC in that city( prob b/c you have to have a CCW license to OC in that city, so that stops a lot of ppl from OC) and that if it was a bit closer i would go there more often to make more of an awareness of OC.. i dont hide my gun in fear of someone calling the cops on me. its just part of OC, knowing that you have the chance of cops being called. if it bothered me, i just wouldnt OC. but as you see it dosent stop me from OC. now if they have a sign up for no guns, or they specifically say they dont want me in there, then i will respect their rights, and not show up there. i think the only reason they called to cops on me in bolivar is the fact that i was waiting there for you to show up, and after me siting there for 15 to 30 mins that probably looked kinda weird. they didnt call the cops right off, they waited 15 to 30 mins. i

but i know what your trying to get at. and thats where we differ at. you think i should hide my gun in certian areas. like the gas station in bolivar b/c they called the cops on me. but i dont OC b/c of convience, i do it b/c i feel like it does a bit more for 2a rights then me concealing( and yes i know its not going to do a HUGE benefit, no i dont expect it to make them give us a prememption b/c i OC'ed). while i think opposite. i think i should go there MORE often so people are more aware of it. you on the other hand only OC when its conveniant for you( as in its to HOT for you to want to CCW). while i dont do it just for the convience, and yes i know well disagree there too. and i really dont want to argue that, since neither of us are going to switch ways.

Jaysann22

The bottom line is people are always afraid of what they dont understand.

I just dont understand why people just cant believe that carrying a firearm is legal and can/may be displayed. This is the United States of America. The gun capital of the world. Whats so hard to understand gun rights in America? Americans have guns, its a 200yr old tradition. You'd think people would catch on by now. Whether people agree with those rights or not, its still reality.

Last edited:

heresyourdipstickjimmy

i did learn from the cops being called on me by a gas station worker in bolivar. i learned that they arent very aware of OC in that city( prob b/c you have to have a CCW license to OC in that city, so that stops a lot of ppl from OC) and that if it was a bit closer i would go there more often to make more of an awareness of OC.. i dont hide my gun in fear of someone calling the cops on me. its just part of OC, knowing that you have the chance of cops being called. if it bothered me, i just wouldnt OC. but as you see it dosent stop me from OC. now if they have a sign up for no guns, or they specifically say they dont want me in there, then i will respect their rights, and not show up there. i think the only reason they called to cops on me in bolivar is the fact that i was waiting there for you to show up, and after me siting there for 15 to 30 mins that probably looked kinda weird. they didnt call the cops right off, they waited 15 to 30 mins. i

but i know what your trying to get at. and thats where we differ at. you think i should hide my gun in certian areas. like the gas station in bolivar b/c they called the cops on me. but i dont OC b/c of convience, i do it b/c i feel like it does a bit more for 2a rights then me concealing( and yes i know its not going to do a HUGE benefit, no i dont expect it to make them give us a prememption b/c i OC'ed). while i think opposite. i think i should go there MORE often so people are more aware of it. you on the other hand only OC when its conveniant for you( as in its to HOT for you to want to CCW). while i dont do it just for the convience, and yes i know well disagree there too. and i really dont want to argue that, since neither of us are going to switch ways.

It's not just that city. It's nearly every LEO in the State that isn't being educated or properly trained on CCW, the Castle Docrtine, or OC. Some, like Bolivar even think they can regulate your carry outside what the Statute prescribes. You can bet that if they run your plates, and you're the registered owner, they already know you have a CCW permit (if you do that is) before they make the stop.

So with that in mind, why the heck are we still running into Barney Fife's that seem to think they can draw down on a lawful carrying individual?

And no, I don't think you should have hidden your firearm at the gas station in Bolivar. I wasn't there for the conversation so I don't know what transpired. But, having talked to her myself after the match I noticed she just needed to be treated like an uninformed manager as well as given the courtesy information that matches would be held 1st Saturday of each month so she could expect more folks to be carrying in her store. Oh, and an invite to a match didn't hurt either.

She didn't need her mind or view changed because that could endanger her while on duty. She keyed on your firearm just like she should have. What she needed was someone to treat her like a friend and give her the information in a very courteous manner...probably a LEO is what was needed for her to feel comfortable with an answer and that's kind of sad.

Fear not, I'll likely be the next victim. However it seems my response as being ex-military just gets a quick "oh" and that's it. Let's make sure that if she's working again the next run that we put out the invite once again.

FYI, you could have explained that you were meeting me for a match (don't know if you did) and let her know you'd either wait inside or wait in your vehicle. Of course that might not have even mattered.

Last edited:

357SigFan

You can bet that if they run your plates, and you're the registered owner, they already know you have a CCW permit (if you do that is) before they make the stop.

And you'd loose that bet :)

Your CCW is NOT tied to your license plates. It's tied to you driver's license. They WILL know when they run your DL, even if you have your CCW endorsement on a non-driver ID.

cshoff

And you'd loose that bet :)

Your CCW is NOT tied to your license plates. It's tied to you driver's license. They WILL know when they run your DL, even if you have your CCW endorsement on a non-driver ID.

True, however, a LEO can certainly cross-check the vehicle registration with a DL and come up with a CCW status. The thing is, even if the LEO does this, it's irrelevant. The LEO has no way of knowing who is driving a vehicle, regardless of who the license plates are registered to, and any LEO with half a brain in his/her head will assume that EVERY driver is armed when making a traffic stop anyway.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
True, however, a LEO can certainly cross-check the vehicle registration with a DL and come up with a CCW status. The thing is, even if the LEO does this, it's irrelevant. The LEO has no way of knowing who is driving a vehicle, regardless of who the license plates are registered to, and any LEO with half a brain in his/her head will assume that EVERY driver is armed when making a traffic stop anyway.

This is very accurate. When I have spoken with law enforcement on this very issue, they all clearly indicate "armed bad guy" in the car until proven otherwise. They also indicate CCW proves to them on many levels "good guy" and they are less on edge.

I have often discussed with them and they agree in general that one of the hardest things they do is remeber that there are still good guys and while they know it, they have to deal with so many bad guys that it is harder to remain nice to the good ones cause the bad ones only understand negative behavior.