September 2010 Events
    Sept 3-5

Gun Show - Marv Kraus Promotions
    September 3 - 5
    Contact Information: Marv Kraus 563/933-2503

Jefferson County Fair Park
    503 N Jackson Ave, Jefferson, WI 53549
    ---------------------

I've gone to it the past two years. It's not as big as the one in Madison at the Marriott by Greenway Station or Milwaukee at State Fair Park, but it's decent.

I have a call in to the show organizer to find out if OC is allowed or not. I'll let you know his response once I hear back.

Marv Kraus is his name, if any of you are familiar with him.

Banned
    Are you a member of WCI or did you want us to set up a table there?

Thats usually the only reason we talk about gun shows here.

Sorry, I was just posting it for informational purposes.

No, I'm not a member of WCI and I'm not requesting a booth. If you guys want to do a booth, that's up to you.

I just called Marv Kraus to figure out if I should attempt to OC there or not since the little blurb of info on the JeffCoFairgrounds website didn't say anything about OC.

If this is outside of the norm, I'll forgo it in the future.

Spartacus:
    Who died and made you boss? Some of us like that information.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    Spartacus:
    Who died and made you boss? Some of us like that information.
    Don't be silly. Are you still in grade school?

Just stating a fact. This place would be a *********** if everybody just listed all the gun shows in the state with no purpose.

Its quite another thing if any organization that promotes oc wants to set up a table to advance the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    This place would be a clusterf*ck if everybody just listed all the gun shows in the state with no purpose.
    As opposed to the shining example of civil discourse it is now?

Banned
    Many others have posted about Gun Shows here. In fact there was just a thread about the Oshkosh gun show.

Who cares. It all deals with OC one way or another. Many people who go to gun shows are looking for hand guns for OC. Some are even looking to see if there is a booth for info on OC.

Let's stop the nit picking and move on. Think before you type.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Gleason View Post
    Many others have posted about Gun Shows here. In fact there was just a thread about the Oshkosh gun show.
    No...

It was about representing the cause at the show and Hubert asking for help at the table, not just announcing the Oshkosh show. You remember that thread... the one where you insulted me but I didn't cry to John about it and get your post deleted like you do all the time?

Get your facts straight.

I think based on the feedback, I'll post again in the future for the 2 or 3 shows a year that are held in Jefferson.

1. People seem to be interested in it.
    2. I also would be interested to know about other shows.
    3. If no one comments the thread pushes off the first page soon enough.
    4. I doubt as many people from Wisconsin who might be interested would see it in the General Discussion forum across all states.

If anyone has a big enough problem with it that they want to complain in another 3 to 6 months, then so be it.

Banned
    No worries Don. Post away. I am sure you will have good opportunity to pass out some fliers there.
    In fact walking around handing out fliers may very well reach more people then having a booth.
    I just came off of vacation otherwise I might show up there myself, maybe next time.

Banned
    Save your I-breath for something more important:

http://www.wisconsinoutdoor.com/gunshow.htm

lists all the upcoming shows.

holster question

thanks for the link Spartacus.

So while I'm at the gun show I'm going to look for a good holster for OCing. Is there anything I should be aware of when I'm looking at a holster specifically for OCing?

I've tried doing some searches, but all I've found so far is discussion about comfort, wear, the merits of different brands, etc, but nothing about holster attributes specific to OC.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for a holster either for my HK USP .45 Tactical or my FN 5.7.

Thanks!

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Blackhawk SERPA

Good morning. My CCW is an H&K USPc in .40.

My OCW is an SA1911A1 that I carry in a SERPA. I selected it based on price and evident durability. Some, that would eagerly infringe the 2A, consider retention an essential requirement for exercise of the RKABA.

I caution "Beware the evil paradigm of consideration, expectation and then requirement." Here, yes, "retention" should be considered but do not allow it to be expected as a requirement for a legally armed citizen.

I CCW'd in SC for about ten years. The last few carrying my CCW Mexican X-draw style when I wasn't on my bicycle when I used a concealing chest pack holster.

Continuing as introduction; my dress gun, that I hope to be able wear properly, someday is an Interarms Luger in black satin.
    Last edited by Doug Huffman; 09-01-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post

Is there anything I should be aware of when I'm looking at a holster specifically for OCing?
    Based on the news story a month or so back about the fellow in Milwaukee who was disarmed of his own sidearm, I would say a solid retention system would be a major selling point for me. I have heard good things about the Blackhawk Serpa line. My current holster is a paddle version of the one that came with my XD. The paddle helps increase comfort on the hip, instead of having the weight on your belt.

Part of me is holding off because I would rather invest the money in a nice cc holster for my XD. No need to purchase that until it is useful here in WI.

Thanks for the information Doug. I'll checkout the Blackhawk SERPA.

Anyone else have any holsters they use and recommend?

*edit*
    Thanks OCmyXD
    Last edited by The Don; 09-01-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Banned
    In re gunbelt, my SERPA rides on a BeltMan.com 1˝ inch with stiffener that I sized to allow open carry over winter wear. IIRC $80

Armed robbery of an Wisconsin legally armed citizen

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...n&goto=newpost
    Last edited by Doug Huffman; 09-01-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Banned
    Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for a holster either for my HK USP .45 Tactical or my FN 5.7.
    Nice guns. I think better of you now. lol

The HK is easy. You will have a whole range of choices.

I'm envious of your FN. I want one! Holster choices will be a bit tougher here as you will be limited to military style for a while until if and when they catch on with the general population.

I'm not sure I would use the FN for daily carry anyway even though it is lightweight and holds up to 30 rounds which would be authoritative in a firefight. With that much muzzle velocity you may shoot through your human target and then through a few parked cars and hit the old lady crossing the street 5 blocks down... just sayin'.

Banned
    5.7x28mm energy is quite comparable to .40 10x22mm energy.

Doug, I'm not sure if you're agreeing with Spartacus or not. Could you clarify?

Spartacus, yeah, over penetration is something I'm concerned about with the 5.7, but from what I've seen online with holsters for the HK, since it's a Tactical with the higher front site, I'm actually somewhat limited on my selection on those.

If anyone with a Tactical HK .45 has any experience with any holsters specific to that, carrying that would be my preference.

My only other options are my Taurus .357 revolver, my wife's Walther P22, or my Bushmaster Type 97...all of which are undesirable (or pointless) for open carry for one reason or another.

Or buying something new, which is fine with me, but wouldn't make the wife exceedingly happy.

Banned

Or buying something new, which is fine with me, but wouldn't make the wife exceedingly happy.
    Thats what I ended up doing for my daily carry (and I carry everywhere always). I got a lightweight EAA Witness P in .45 which weighs less than 30 oz and has a polymer grip that can take a beating. Since I shoot really well with it and it fits my hand like a glove at only $375 it cannot be beat IMO.

Thats what I ended up doing for my daily carry...
    +1 to this, and I probably should have mentioned so in my previous post.

I like my XD - bi-tone 45 4" tactical with tritium sights. Hard to find, and would be harder to replace. I generally carry the XD at home and on my hunting property. For daily carry and my "traveling" gun, I have a PT145. I think I paid less than $250 for it. For an open carry gun I wouldn't go much smaller.

Banned
    Doug, I'm not sure if you're agreeing ... or not. Could you clarify?
    Probably not. Bullet penetration is a controversial and complex subject. Here, in the previous comment, too much credit is given to velocity.

My carry ammo is box stock FEDERAL EFMJ in my three calibers. For my EBS 870 the first two are birdshot - for penetration considerations - followed by 00. Hmm, I made that decision when I had wallboard, now I have beaded siding and half-log siding - I might reconsider ...

Ballistic performance 5.7x28mm
    Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy
    23 gr (1.5 g) SS90 AP FMJ 850 m/s (2,800 ft/s) 540 J (400 ft·lbf)
    31 gr (2.0 g) SS190 AP FMJ 716 m/s (2,350 ft/s) 534 J (394 ft·lbf)
    28 gr (1.8 g) SS195LF JHP 716 m/s (2,350 ft/s) 467 J (344 ft·lbf)

5.7x28mm energy range 467 J - 540 J simple mean = 504 J

Ballistic performance 10x22mm
    Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy
    135 gr (8.7 g) Federal Premium JHP Low Recoil 1,190 ft/s (360 m/s) 424 ft·lbf (575 J)
    155 gr (10.0 g) Speer Gold Dot JHP 1,175 ft/s (358 m/s) 475 ft·lbf (644 J)
    165 gr (10.7 g) Speer Gold Dot JHP 1,150 ft/s (350 m/s) 484 ft·lbf (656 J)
    180 gr (12 g) Speer Gold Dot JHP 985 ft/s (300 m/s) 400 ft·lbf (540 J)
    200 gr (13 g) Double Tap Hornady XTP JHP 1,050 ft/s (320 m/s) 490 ft·lbf (660 J)

10x22mm energy range 400 J - 490 J simple mean = 446 J

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    Probably not. Bullet penetration is a controversial and complex subject...
    Only you could make it so.

Bottom line is even with equivalent muzzle velocities the 5.7x28 is going to rips sh!ts out of stuff due to bullet weight, diameter and shape. God forbid you should use AP ammo as that is the only pistol ammo that I am aware of that will defeat body armor.

God forbid you should use AP ammo as that is the only pistol ammo that I am aware of that will defeat body armor.
    Well, technically my Bushmaster Type 97 Carbon Fiber Pistol is a pistol, and you could use AP .223/5.56mm rounds in that.

My friends call that the "Fireball Gun" when we go shooting, on account of the beach ball sized fireball it makes when you shoot it. Louder and deeper than either of the .50 AE Desert Eagles I used to have, too. Impractical for pretty much anything, but it sure is fun!

But yeah, the 5.7 is the only thing that's common.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C15P97.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	3785  
    Last edited by The Don; 09-01-2010 at 03:29 PM.