• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Negative Open Carry Experience In Wal*Mart--North Main in Longmont

oregonian

So tonight I walked into my local WalMart (where I've open-carried a few times before at various times of the day and night without any resistance at all) at about 11:30pm on the way home from a work meeting. Based on a previous experience in this end of town (seeing a rather rough-looking group loitering outside of the stores), I decided to just open-carry to have maximum accessibility and deterrent.

I was stopped at the front by the greeter: "What do you have there? [A Glock 9mm :)] I can't let you carry that in there"

2 managers later and I'm walking out the store at the manager's request that I essentially don't carry on his "private property"....

I tried to be as polite as I could be, shook peoples' hands and introduced myself and asked if there was anything I could do to help and when I left I didn't leave in an angry rage or flustered...just calmly walked out and shook the greeter's hand.

Can't say I'm exactly motivated to shop at this WalMart anymore though!

Last edited:

PincheOgro1

So tonight I walked into my local WalMart (where I've open-carried a few times before at various times of the day and night without any resistance at all) at about 11:30pm on the way home from a work meeting. Based on a previous experience in this end of town (seeing a rather rough-looking group loitering outside of the stores), I decided to just open-carry to have maximum accessibility and deterrent.

I was stopped at the front by the greeter: "What do you have there? [A Glock 9mm :)] I can't let you carry that in there"

2 managers later and I'm walking out the store at the manager's request that I essentially don't carry on his "private property"....

I tried to be as polite as I could be, shook peoples' hands and introduced myself and asked if there was anything I could do to help and when I left I didn't leave in an angry rage or flustered...just calmly walked out and shook the greeter's hand.

Can't say I'm exactly motivated to shop at this WalMart anymore though!

I went into my local Walmart with my gun in it's blue case, locked. I still got worried stares from the employees. I did go in to buy ammo. I was going to the range, and I didn't want to leave my gun in my truck. What can ya do ?

ZackL

It's been established that Wal-Mart's policy is to follow state law. Go to the manager above whoever you spoke with today and see if they will remedy the situation. If they don't then you simply go to corporate. From what I've seen, they will issue reports that all of the managers will be required to enforce or they will lose their jobs.

I'm sorry that you had this run-in with ill-informed management, I hope that you can get it all resolved.

oregonian

Thanks for the feedback!

Can anyone who I should contact at corporate? I checked the website and they have several departments...do I just go through customer service?

Thanks!
-OR