• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCd to a birthday party

heresolong

A friend turned 47 recently and her husband put on a surprise birthday party. The party was at another friend's place on Lake Whatcom. Debated OCing but decided that since it is a routine part of my attire there was no reason to change for this party. In deference to the unknown reactions by the other people at the party (most of whom I wasn't going to know) and to the unknown reactions of the hostess (who I don't know well at all) I chose my Walther PPK in the Galco paddle holster rather than the big 45 in the Fobus.

Well, not a single reaction, either positive, negative, or neutral for the varied people at the party. I know some of their politics from offhand comments during a fun afternoon of socializing but not one of them asked or commented about the gun. I know they saw it cause I was wearing jeans, boots, and a t-shirt with the brown Galco holster on the right hip but I was pleasantly surprised that no one saw fit to make an issue.

Another win for the good guys. :)

joejoejoe

Wow.. ballsy. I am still on the fence about OCing at events where there are people I know through other people. I would hate to embarrass a friend at his friend's birthday party because I was OCing. It could create an awkward relationship. NOT THAT I SHOULD CARE... but I do :)

Joe~

DoomGoober

I OC'd to a party with a bunch of people I didn't know. I got a mixed response:

1) First the host asked if I'd like to put the gun away, not rudely, but sort of politely, like he'd offer to put away a jacket. I asked if he had a safe then he decided it was safer if I kept it. I said it would stay in the holster.

2) Woman asked if I was worried someone would grab it. I said it's a retention holster and she slapped the handle to see if it was loose (I thought it was kind of cool she did that, not afraid at all) Then I said police also carry with retention holsters and there's a risk of a grab, but it's pretty hard to do.

3) A gun fan asked if I could drop the magazine, which I did and everyone commented how large the 9mm bullets seemed (really?) He then asked me if he could hold the gun. Told him I preferred to keep it holstered. We chatted about Sigs, night sights, etc.

4) Random group of people, across the room, were heard saying, "Yeah it's a gun! He's got something written on the holster, but I can't read it." My holster says, "OpenCarry: Ask me about it." I would have gone up and talked but we were having an argument of unicorns versus werewolves (don't ask.)

5) Bartender guy in the kitchen asked if I was drinking and someone suggested drinking with a gun might be a bad idea. I agreed and said I was not drinking.

6) Someone asked if it was loaded and I explained the difference between in the chamber and in the magazine.

7) During a picture, someone really wanted the gun to be there. He kept saying I should turn my strong side out more. The host took the picture without the gun visible.

8) Hostess said the gun was a great conversation starter as I left.

All in all, a reasonable situation but I knew the host pretty well, so that made it easier.

Last edited:

OrangeIsTrouble

I OC'd to a party with a bunch of people I didn't know. I got a mixed response:
2) Woman asked if I was worried someone would grab it. I said it's a retention holster and she slapped the handle to see if it was loose (I thought it was kind of cool she did that, not afraid at all) Then I said police also carry with retention holsters and there's a risk of a grab, but it's pretty hard to do.

3) A gun fan asked if I could drop the magazine, which I did and everyone commented how large the 9mm bullets seemed (really?) He then asked me if he could hold the gun. Told him I preferred to keep it holstered. We chatted about Sigs, night sights, etc.

Am I the only one that sees a problem with this????:eek:

.45ACPaddy

LOL, if they thought 9mm bullets were big, I'd love to see the look on their face when they see a .45 ACP Speer Gold Dot!

I generally don't go to parties, but the couple I've been to in the past 6 months, I've asked the host if I can store my piece in a secure location if it's not OK to OC at their party. Both times, my piece has been readily accessible by myself just in case. Others at the party have inquired about self defense with lethal force, and I've happily obliged to inform them of their rights.:banana:

In my view, groups of drunk people don't generally mix with firearms, no matter what kind of retention holster is involved. They know I carry, and those who want to know more have asked. I'll be taking a few out to Capitol Forest soon to teach them both how to shoot, and the power that rests in their hands when holding a firearm. It's amazing what one gallon milk jugs full of water can do to someone's perception of the power of a gun.

dj_fatstyles

4) Random group of people, across the room, were heard saying, "Yeah it's a gun! He's got something written on the holster, but I can't read it." My holster says, "OpenCarry: Ask me about it." I would have gone up and talked but we were having an argument of unicorns versus werewolves (don't ask.)

lol gotta ask, what were you arguing about??? lol

heresolong

Am I the only one that sees a problem with this????:eek:

No, you are not. I would have had a polite discussion with the person who slapped the gun, educating them about the wisdom, or lack thereof, of her actions; and I probably, depending on the party, would have declined to unload the firearm whilst it was in the holster.

DoomGoober

No, you are not. I would have had a polite discussion with the person who slapped the gun, educating them about the wisdom, or lack thereof, of her actions; and I probably, depending on the party, would have declined to unload the firearm whilst it was in the holster.

Maybe "slap" was too strong a word -- "tug" might have been better. My Sig undergoes more abuse while I'm say, running to catch a bus (the handle slaps against my body) or when I accidentally bump it against a chair I'm carrying or something. If we can't be comfortable with a weapon in every day situations, than maybe we shouldn't be carrying in every day situations?

As to dropping the mag: Is there a particular danger to dropping the mag while in holster? Is there some kind of mechanical cause that might make the firearm discharge (more than, say, the everyday abuse the firearm undergoes?) I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I'm genuinely curious (and trying to be safe.)

I guess there's a line between being careful and being so careful that people feel like the firearm is not safe and will go off if someone sneezes on it. A big part of open carry is proving that firearms, if handled correctly, are safe.

OrangeIsTrouble

To prevent negligent discharges, it is best to not touch the firearm in that sort of environment. What happens is, you get one person "slapping" the handle, then another person sees and goes hey I wanna test that retention too!!!

Now my question is, did you not react at all or did you just stand there and just let her tug? Normally, when someone comes close to me all I need to do is rest my elbow on the back of the handle and we're good. Any movements then take a step back strongside away. With me, using the method of crossdraw I really do not have to fear too much of some person behind me grabbing my firearm, unless they turn out to be angelina jolie and I get my gun jacked russian spy style.

This doesn't mean you have to be all, NO TOUCHIE! STAY AWAY! Of course not, instead of saying no in a negative way, why not invite that person to come with you to a range or another controlled environment to test out the features of that holster or firearm?