• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What flips your switch?

merc460

Let's keep this Firearm related....
One thing that flips my switch the most is articles about guns with the scare tactic captions in news articles! I mean really, they are nothing more than the writers own FEAR of guns that he/she are using to recruit with. It is sickening IMO. Think about it, we relate things with visual images, so plant one or more of these sick images in your article and you get more weak minded sheep on your side. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Good example here, actually, the one that set me off this morning.
http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2010/08/gun_open_carry_school.php

"Don't mind me, kiddies" :shocker:
"You get an A" :shocker:

COME ON!!!!! Get serious. This writer has serious issues and in my opinion should seek professional help. Every time I read articles and they have these type of captions attached to them I think of the writer in the movie Nim's Island. LOL

Kirbinator

Usually you can solve these by understanding "projection". When a person like that says: "These people can't be trusted with guns" what they are really saying is "I can't be trusted with a gun."

Dreamer

Two things TOTALLY torque my bolts:

1) When people call their Concealed carry permit/license a "CCW". CCW is a crime, not a permit, and people who use that term to describe a permit just twirl my noodles...

2) And when people see my firearm on my hip, and try to look cool and knowledgeable by asking me "How do you like that Kimber/Colt/Glock.etc.etc.etc..."... I finally made a t-shirt (that I only wear on the range, or at OC gatherings) that says in BIG letters, "No, it's NOT a Kimber"... ;)

Last edited:

Brimstone Baritone

There's this one guy who knows I'm not allowed to carry at work. Every day he asks me "You packing today?"

If he gets me searched I'm suing him along with my employer, and the fact that they won't find a gun makes it even better.

The answer to your question is People. People flip my switch. :D :D

NOTFORLONG

Religions

When they come to my door they get the shot gun muzzle with winchester pdx1's 3 buckshot balls and a 1 ounce slug.

XD40coyote

6 bear hunters including a very close by neighbor who fail to show up at their appointment time, never call, and the neighbor never calls either, nor returns my message. No- shows who never call and apologize/give valid excuse such as family member in hospital/died= girly men. Men scared of a woman!

Related to guns: taxidermy, bear hunting, shooting bears using guns, Canadian bear hunting, Canada is anti gun

Ok the appt was 2 days ago, maybe something DID happen, but Mr Neighbor or his wife should really do the polite thing and call by now? I mean I had my mom in the hospital, my dog die, and then my grandma die, all in the same week, this last week. Now my neighbor has be a poophead and upset me even more.

[/endrant]

Black Jack

1) When people call their Concealed carry permit/license a "CCW". CCW is a crime, not a permit, and people who use that term to describe a permit just twirl my noodles...

Dreamer,

Sorry, but what is the crime?

I always thought that CCW stood for Concealed Carry Weapon. I have never heard anybody use it to describe a crime.

I agree with you that it irritates me when people refer to their permit/license as a “CCW”, however different states do call it different by different names, for instance, here in Colorado it is called a “Concealed Weapons Permit” while Florida calls it a “Concealed Weapon or Firearm License”. So, I do refer to my permit as a CWP while I refer to my concealed weapon as a CCW.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
Yeah Canada being anti-gun really pisses me off, good thing Wisconsin has alott to offer for hunting! Me and a buddy got 6 doves and a goose yesterday, hunted two hours on some public land here.

Another thing, "Many other hunters and their "progressive" view of gun rights, they look at guys like us as crazies, as being as bad for the second ammendment as the anti's are, we are supposedly the "extremist". And then they never have anything to back up their statements regarding why we should negotiate our rights away to please others so we can continue to enjoy guns and hunting. I tell them to grow a pair of balls!! Take your gun you would be happy to keep dissasembled, with a lock on it, in a gun safe or in your trunk, and scrap it. The same should be said for those gun owner's who say I own a gun "but I'm not a gun nut" or I'm okay with some restrictions.

^ I get tired of even talking to people like those stated above.......... redundant idiocracy

I'm a gun nut and a freedom nut, and proud of it!

Last edited:

KRM59

what flips my switch

People that ask me..." is that a gun?" " is it loaded"

no its a weed spayer and yes i have it full of round up !!!!!!!!

frommycolddeadhands

what flips my switch

People who know absolutely NOTHING about any given topic, but INSIST on running their mouth about it.

Example: People who claim an AR-15 is a 'machine gun' or an 'automatic rifle' and should therefore be banned because it can't be used for hunting. (Wrong on both parts)

People who think that the 2A was meant to protect the right of hunters and can't understand the concept of having an armed citizenry to guard against tyranny.

Coffee sipping college kids who have never lived in the real world, or served in the military, who insist on sharing their liberal fantasies that the war could be ended if we just had more 'cultural education' in our schools so that we could 'understand' the terrorists who are trying to blow us all up. (No kidding, overheard this conversation in an airport while returning from a TDY)

Politicians who say one thing and do another.

Irresponsible jerks who don't believe that anything is their fault and that they should not be held responsible for anything.

Parents who don't take care of their kids. (Not exactly firearms related, but I hate the term 'babies momma' and I can't stand fathers who abandon their kids because they simply don't feel like 'settling down' to raise their spawn)

Paris Hilton. She should have been beaten to death with a tire iron long ago....

Last edited:

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Associating guns with military, battle, CQB, or mercenaries.

Interesting. I can agree with 3 of those, but the CQB I'd have to disagree with.

Defensive shooting can certainly be some form of CQB/CQC and though I do not approve of the terminology in the civilian world, the reality is that's exactly what defensive shooting is in many cases. I had a great training experience with this at an IDPA match.

So with what you and I have posted in mind, how do we come up with an alternate acronym to cover the civilian aspect? The first two letters are fitting, but may not be politically correct for the civilian world.

UCSD = Ultra Close Self Defense
CQD = Close Quarters Defense
IDD = Imminent Danger Defense
IDDS = Imminent Danger Defensive Shooting (this would have a negative connotation attached)
IDSD = Imminent Danger Self Defense
ITSD = Imminent Threat Self Defense
ITR = Imminent Threat Reaction

Last edited:

Dreamer

Dreamer,

Sorry, but what is the crime?

I always thought that CCW stood for Concealed Carry Weapon. I have never heard anybody use it to describe a crime.

In many state statutes, and criminal codes, CCW Stands for "Carrying a Concealed Weapon", and is a crime if you don't have a permit or license do do so.

Using "CCW" to describe your carry firearm makes no sense unless you live in TX, SC, FL, OK, IL, NY or AR, where OC is illegal and the only way you CAN carry in public is concealed. (but even in most of these states, you can still OC on your own property legally...)

In CO, where you reside, the card is called a "Concealed Handgun Permit" (CHP). CO is OC-friendly (with a few local restrictions and prohibitions). So I'm assuming that you probably DO occasionally OC the same firearm you CC, which means it's not a CCW. It's a handgun that you sometimes OC and sometimes CC...

I agree with you that it irritates me when people refer to their permit/license as a “CCW”, however different states do call it different by different names, for instance, here in Colorado it is called a “Concealed Weapons Permit” while Florida calls it a “Concealed Weapon or Firearm License”. So, I do refer to my permit as a CWP while I refer to my concealed weapon as a CCW.

So is the firearm you use for CC never used for OC? Is it illegal or functionally impossible for you to carry it OC? If not, then it is NOT a "Concealed Carry Weapon", because you can also carry it openly. Mode of carry DOES NOT define, effect, or regulate the firearm's functionality. ALL guns are potentially a "concealed carry weapon" if you wear the right clothing and have the right holster. ALL firearms are also "Open Carry Weapons" if you have the right rig, and it's legal where you are carrying.

To say that a specific firearm is a "concealed carry weapon" just because you have a permit, and sometimes CC with it is like calling your car a "grocery acquisition vehicle" because you occasionally drive it the store to buy eggs and lunchmeat...

NOWHERE that I know of is there a state statute that defines or regulated something as a "concealed carry weapon" other than to prohibit CCing without a permit, or to delineate what objects constitute "weapons" (knives, blackjacks, batons, handguns, etc) within the scope of a permit or the criminal charge of "CCW".

If you are wealthy enough to have a firearm that you ONLY use for CC, then good on you. Some of us can't afford a whole herd of single-purpose firearms, and use the few we have for many activities and in both modes of carry. I carry my Para S-14.45 OC or CC as clothing, weather, and social situation dictates. I use it for self-defense, recreational shooting, and competition. It is not an "OC gun" or a "CC gun". It is just my main tool for self-defense, and I carry it however I see fit in a particular situation.

As far as I know, no state statute exists saying that if you buy a particular gun, you MUST only use it for CC, nor does any manufacturer recommend such limited use. Therefore there is no such thing as a CCW in your usage.

Permitted/licensed Carrying of a Concealed firearm/handgun/pistol is OK, according to state statutes (local laws may vary).

CCW is a crime, because it it is specifically codified in many state statutes and criminal codes.

Please stop using this term. It is inaccurate, it is a FUD-tool of the anti's, and it makes us look like jargonistic wankers who don't know the real meanings of the words and acronyms we toss around. We don't use "assault rifle" to describe AR-15s or semi-auto AK's or semi-auto FN FALs. We don't use the term "hi-capacity" to describe handguns like Paras or Glocks (if they are DESIGNED to hold 14 or 18 rounds, then that IS their capacity.)

Words have meaning folks, and the "other side" knows this well, and they USE this concept to mold public opinion, twist facts, and brainwash the masses against our causes of Freedom and Individual Responsibility. It's about time we "cowboy up" and start writing and speaking like we have at the very least, a rudimentary grasp of the English Language. Its about time we start using words in our FAVOR, not merely in our defense. If we are to be proactive in this fight, we need to use language in a meaningful, influential, and thoughtful way. And one place to start is to STOP using the legal terminology for a CRIME to describe a legal activity.

PLEASE, stop using "CCW" to describe your permits and/or your preferred CC firearm...

I actually heard Tom Gresham use the term "CCW" for a permit on his GunTalk podcast from a few weeks ago. I was shocked, because he is usually VERY precise in his use of language and legal terminology. He'll be getting a phone call this Sunday...

PLEASE stop using this term. I beg you...

Last edited:

thx997303

I guess you must consider me rich Dreamer, I have a CC only gun. I have an OC only gun, a snake gun, a plinker, a long range gun, a blaster, a bird gun, and a hunting gun.

Then again, it took me a few years to amass these guns. And I traded a few things I really liked to get them.

All of them were under $400 when I bought them, only two of them were bought new. One was $80.

I will refer to my Ruger LCP as my concealed carry weapon. That is all i use it for, and so the term fits.

I guess my OC gun could be a concealed gun as well. Supposing I was wearing a winter coat or just liked torturing myself that day. The thing is a bit big for concealing, but I could do it.

The snake gun is a revolver I use specifically for snake issues. Shot loads you know. I could OC it and do, but usually only if I expect snakes.

All the others are long guns. It would be difficult to conceal them.

Oh, and as to the wealth, I never made more than $15 dollars an hour, and that was a short period of time.

Most of my income comes from the VA as I am a disabled veteran.

So, needless to say, I am actually kind of poor.