• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spokane Area Bullet Purchase

dwordinger

Rainier Ballistics http://www.rainierballistics.com/mainframe.htm will sell bullets (not cartridges) in bulk directly to a customer, but the minimum order is 50,000 bullets. Anyone interested in getting a group buy?

Rainier bullets are not jacketed but are copper plated. They are less expensive than jacketed bullets, but don’t lead the barrel or have lead vapor concerns in indoor ranges like cast bullets. A price list is attached, but note the manufacturer says they are subject to change, so I will confirm prices before ordering. If you can find better prices, please let the rest of us know about it.

I would not plan to use these for self-defense or when open carrying, but to reload less expensive practice rounds.

I drive to the Seattle area a few times a year so I could go by the factory, pick up the order and bring them back to Spokane with no shipping charges.

Here is how I envision the program working:

If you are interested, PM me and let me know how many bullets you are interested in, in multiples of 1000. When I get interest in more then 50,000, I’ll get serious. Then I will ask everybody to make a deposit; perhaps $50 or $100. This is so I don’t buy everything, truck it back to Spokane, and then find people have changed their minds and I’m stuck with thousands of .32 and 9mm bullets I can’t use.

After bringing the bullets back to Spokane, you get the bullets you wanted and I get the balance of what you owe. Anyone who changes his mind forfeits the deposit. Anyone who hasn’t made final payment and picked up his order within some to-be-determined reasonable time (maybe one or two months) forfeits his deposit and the bullets. I’ll make a reasonable effort to meet at convenient locations to complete the transactions, but I’m not going to drive all over Spokane making deliveries, and I’m not driving to Tumtum unless you’re serving bison steak and AmberBock.

I don’t know when I’ll be going to Seattle again. It may not be until early December, so that gives you time to save up some paychecks.

If anyone doesn’t like my conditions, please feel free to not participate, or to run this operation yourself, and I’ll buy from you. Please.

Attachments

• Rainier 2010FOB.pdf
    19.1 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:

amlevin

I have had issues with loading Rainier plated bullets. First and only bullets that I have ever had "wrinkle" when seated in a 9mm case.

As for ordering huge quantities of Rainier's just to get a good price, consider this as an alternative:

https://secure3.mooseweb.com/montanagoldbullet.com/pricelist.tpl

I buy cases of Montana Gold in 9mm (both 115gr and 124 gr) as well as 55gr FMJ-BT in .223 cal. Montana Gold pays the freight (and it really upsets the mailman when he has to deliver).

If a "Lead Safe" bullet is your concern consider the CMJ's which has a full jacket covering the base as well. On the issue of "Lead Safe" bullets, Rainier's have a lead core and I can assure you, when the bullet hits the backstop at the range there is still "Lead Everywhere" when the bullet breaks up.

As for "Copper Plate" versus jacketed bullets, copper plating is very soft and many experience more leading than with harder jacket material such as used by Montana Gold.

I don't work for them, make a comission, or otherwise promote their business. I just like their bullets, the prices, and the included shipping. Service is great too. Last order of one case was placed on a Tuesday and on Thursday afternoon the Postman was griping at my front door.

Last edited:

jeeper1

After comparing the prices for plated bullets between Rainier Ballistics, Montana Gold and Berry's Manufacturing, in a size I use, Berry's will continue to get my business.
Berry's prices include shipping to your door in lots of 250 or 1000.

Last edited:

dwordinger

Amlevin, I've never had the problem you encountered with Rainier bullets. For pistols, I only reload .45 caliber, so perhaps that makes a difference. Your Montana Gold source looks like good prices for jacketed bullets, but they are more expensive than the Rainier plated bullets. I'm after a source of inexpensive quality bullets for economical practice. I haven't had a barrel leading problem with the plated bullets, but I don't load then HOT. Just comfortable practice and target rounds. Lead spatter at the backstop is not the same issue as lead powder at the firing line.

Jeeper1, thanks for the link to Berry's Manufacturing. A bit more expensive than the Rainiers if I pick the Rainier bullets up at the factory, but less than if I have them shipped to me. If I can't get enough friends to join and make the minimum order for Rainier, I may place an order for myself with Berry's.

Golddigger14s, if only I were rich and could afford to buy new ammo. Something I dream about. I envy you. I used to dig bullets out of the target berm for the free lead to melt and cast. I got tired of cleaning the barrel and that is why I've been using plated bullets.

amlevin

Amlevin, I've never had the problem you encountered with Rainier bullets. For pistols, I only reload .45 caliber, so perhaps that makes a difference. Your Montana Gold source looks like good prices for jacketed bullets, but they are more expensive than the Rainier plated bullets. I'm after a source of inexpensive quality bullets for economical practice. I haven't had a barrel leading problem with the plated bullets, but I don't load then HOT. Just comfortable practice and target rounds. Lead spatter at the backstop is not the same issue as lead powder at the firing line.

It's not LEAD fouling to worry about. It's COPPER. This is why Rainier shows a "speed limit" for their bullets. As for the "wrinkle", their lead is soft and the copper thin. Unless you like to flare your cartridges like a funnel (which shortens case life) you will eventually have this issue.

As for lead bullets in the range, if their air system is properly adjusted for positive air flow AWAY from the shooter it doesn't matter if the base of the bullet is exposed as it is in most FMJ's. If it isn't even the lead splatter at the backstop will be making it into the air you breath at the range.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
It's not LEAD fouling to worry about. It's COPPER. This is why Rainier shows a "speed limit" for their bullets. As for the "wrinkle", their lead is soft and the copper thin. Unless you like to flare your cartridges like a funnel (which shortens case life) you will eventually have this issue.

As for lead bullets in the range, if their air system is properly adjusted for positive air flow AWAY from the shooter it doesn't matter if the base of the bullet is exposed as it is in most FMJ's. If it isn't even the lead splatter at the backstop will be making it into the air you breath at the range.

Amlevin,
I have to go with Dwordinger on this one. I have loaded up hundreds of Rainier 200gr truncated cone .45's without any problems whatsoever. Speed is not an issue in the .45. I also don't believe I "flare my cases like a funnel". Maybe there is a difference between loading the 9mm vs the .45, I don't know. But I've had pretty good experiences with them. If I eventually have one wrinkle, I can accept a wrinkled bullet every 1000 reloads or so.I also have some Montana Gold and they seem good as well.

The other variable which may make a difference is that I use a turret press vs a 500 or 600 series progressive reloader because I can be a little more meticulous with my reloads. That may explain my better luck with the Rainiers as well.

devildoc5

I had the operating manager from Rainier come into my work the other day (He is a vet btw) and he told me that even though the website says 50,000 minimum you could always go into the office and talk to (kelli?) someone with a K (sorry short term memory loss I must be getting old....) and that they would be able to make you a deal on less than 50,000.

That being said he did specifically stated that it is a POSSIBILITY. Also if I am not mistaken he stated the "office" was located in federal way.

Just throwing that out there for anyone who might want a few thousand and wouldnt mind seeing what they could do.

Another option might be to call the factory and see if they will make an exception for some reason....