• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

15 Year Old Uses AR to Defend Home

5o56x45

Last edited:
X

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

A person commits an offense if a child under 17 gains access to a readily dischargeable firearm and the person with criminal negligence failed to secure it or left it in a place to which the person knew or should have known the child would gain access.

It is an affirmative defense if the access was supervised by a person older than 18 and was for:

* Hunting, sporting, or other lawful purposes.

* Consisted of lawful defense of people or property.

* Was gained by entering property unlawfully.

* Or occurred during a time when the actor was engaged in an agricultural enterprise.

Now, I understand that it's a legal defense since it was used in "lawful defense"...but how in the heck could Dad have known that when he left it available? And if he knew they'd be in danger, then wouldn't leaving the children in danger be illegal?

Anyhow, I'm glad this kid was trained and had access to a firearm to defend himself. I hope he's coping with the stress of it, he did good.

I believe the leo said his father was also some sort of leo, they get special privlages...

HolyOrangeJuice

If there is a firearm in a house everyone in that household should be proficient enough to use it in case of emergency. All my family members are able to use a weapon effectively and know how to use the weapons in our house.

COMMANDER1911

In the Marine Corps we were taught the quickest way to drop someone is to shoot the "T" box (the are of the eyes and nose) or the pelvis. A pelvis shot with drop a perp every time.

OPS MARINE

Pelvis

I concur with Commander1911. That damn pelvis shot will definitely do it. The T-box is an amazing shot when you hit it right.

Mr.FiredUp

THIS is why I started training my son a long time ago about gun safety and how to respect and handle a firearm. He's 6 now and (with close supervision) holds and shoots a firearm by himself at the range.

This boy was OBVIOUSLY taught well by his father. Way to go dad! You teaching may very well have saved your children's lives!

Hunting Mama

Not deep enough in the Woods, Wisconsin, USA
I have been working with both of my girls (7 and 9 yrs old) for years on gun operation and safety. I am proud to say that my 9 almost 10 year old passed her hunters safety this summer. I would gladly take any charges that arised out of my children defending themselves.

Kudos to that father that taught his kids how to defend themselves

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If they are old enough to stand and walk - they are old enough to start to learn basic safety rules under proper supervision - even if that rule simply begins with do not touch unless I am there to help you - and keep them safe and secure meanwhile.

Children readily understand the difference between toys and the real thing whether it be guns or cars, but they must be taught - it takes responsible effort.

Knowledge and respect vs ignorance and curiosity - you choose which is wisest.

aadvark

Texas Penal Code 9.41 and 9.42(1) Justify the Teens actions!
Carrying a LongGun, by a Teenager, is not Prohibited under Texas Penal Code 46.13(c)(2).