• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti Encounter at Albertsons

ManInBlack

I was at the Albertsons at Apple and Parkcenter just now picking some things up for dinner. As I was walking out, I heard footsteps behind me and in my peripheral vision, noticed that an older "gentleman" was walking very close behind and to my strong side. I stepped to the left to allow him to pass, and as he walked by, he grilled my front side up and down (I now think he must have been looking for a badge). As we got outside the store, he turned and asked, in an irritated tone, "Are you with the police or something?" I replied, "Nope, just a law-abiding citizen." At this he got very agitated and moved away. As I was putting my groceries into my truck, I saw him standing by his vehicle and grilling me again. I looked like he was writing something down, probably my license plate, which is still from Louisiana. Hopefully he called the cops and was told not to abuse the 911 system.

As an aside, I was dressed pretty respectably: white oxford dress shirt, nice blue jeans, black boots, and my Smith and Wesson in a Blackhawk Serpa retention holster, which is generally similar to what I wear whenever I OC. However, I do have a full beard and my hair is definitely far from crew-cut, so I don't get the "he must be a cop" as much as I used to.

On another note, I have been open carrying pretty much 24/7 since arriving in Boise. Walmart on Overland, Fred Meyer on Federal Way, Albertsons on Broadway, Federal Way, and now Parkcenter, other local stores, the park, etc. No problems so far whatsoever.

Lew

I believe the helpless just get irritated at the not helpless.

I read an interesting essay once that boiled down to that. Made sense to me.

ecocks

Sounds like you handled it reasonably well. Maybe he got a bit of education or at least learned not that many people really care.

I'm up for these whenever it fits my schedule which, for now at least, is pretty open.