• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you train?

pool_marine702

I was woundering what type of training everyone out there does at the range or at home.
I like to train to come out to the holster and dry fire at home... and at the range its a mix of hammerd pairs, mag changes, threat drills, failure to feed and stopage drills, we load each others magazines and place a dummy round or an empty caseing some where in the magazine so the shooter dosent know when he is going to have a malfunction. we also like to do some sprints and pushups to get our heart rate up, so we can train under stress.... that is the best!!!... you are never gonna be relaxed in a gunfight.

What do all of you do?

Nevada carrier

Sounds like you took your marine corps training techniques and applied them to your civilian life. Not many civilians will do this, but it will increase the likely hood that you will survive if your sills are put to the test.

pool_marine702

I just joined the marine corps ... I don't even go to boot camp until October or November... Lol... But I would recomend for everyone out there to download and listen to the Gunfighter cast podcast. it's run by two marines that are very knowledgeable... If anyone out there need to know how to get these ... Let me know. There free and that's where I got most of my ideas for training...

Nevada carrier

Learning to shoot accurately under stress is bay far the most important skill to master. The techniques you mentioned in the OP are a great simulator, but nothing can simulate the stress of having to shoot while someone is shooting back.

There is nothing wrong with physical conditioning either. it's always good to get your heart rate up, and what you described is not only good marksmanship training it's good all-around physical training too.

Dangerfish

Another good thing to practice is shooting more then twice. Most of the time your target will not go down after 2 rounds. Since most likely if will be a stress shoot and your odds of getting a CNS shot(only way to instantly incapacitate) are slim to none, i would train to shoot 4-8 rounds as fast as possible center mass.

VegasGeorge

I've taken about 35 hours of professional pistol training over the last 10 years. That's probably all of that I'm going to do for the time being. I dry fire and practice presentations at home. I go to a range or out in the desert to shoot about once a month. I read and re-read my tactical books to keep theory fresh in my mind. I like the Gabe Suarez books.

MilitaryMike

Practice

Dry fire while moving. Quick draw + fire (both regular and shooting from the hip for close quarter engagements), Off hand shooting. But the best thing you can do is practice checking your surrounding for danger in the real world. No amount of practice can compensate for bad situational awareness.