• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anything and everything - getting a gun, carrying a gun, age to carry...

Don Barnett

Motorcycles...

Yeah, I read it thanks.
What are the rules on motorcycles? Do they qualify as vehicles?
And when somebody is arrested for carrying a concealed handgun, do they not have a CHP?

I Open Carry while riding a motorcycle all the time and there has never been a problem.

I would imagine that if a person is arrested for carrying a concealed handgun it is in conjunction with something else and that is the least of their worries. Face it, criminals are not going to be able to get a permit nor are they going to carry openly.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
You have already received some wonderful information from members here on your thread. So I will try to give you some information about selecting and purchasing your gun. As 45acpForMe said, do visit the Selecting a Handgun forum and read through it.

Take the time to visit a major gun show in our area. The Nation's Gun Show's next appearance at the Dulles Expo Center will be October 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. This is a very large show and there is much to see there. Another show to visit is the Fredericksburg Expo Center Gun Show which I think will be around the last weekend of September.

Guns shows offer an excellent opportunity to see and handle a wide variety of firearms. I strongly suggest that you do a lot of research (reading, asking questions, viewing videos, and even visiting gun shops) in advance of attending a gun show because large shows can be a little overwhelming for people new to all of this. You want to pay attention to terminology, features, and the pros and cons of particular guns as to how they will best serve your wants and needs for carrying. You'd be amazed at how involved this can be - trying to find and nail down that "perfect" gun to carry for defense is not a simple task. But don't get frustrated. The more you learn, the better off you're going to be.

Once you have developed a list of candidate guns to consider buying, start paying more attention to them: how do they fit your specific situations, how they feel in your hand, do they have the features you are looking for, and are they quality pieces.

Next up is to try to find a range that has examples of these guns that you can rent and shoot on their range. A friend who has copies of some of your choices and who is willing to take you to a range is a very good help as well. You want to see how the gun and you perform together. Can you hit your target consistently? Do the sights line up naturally or do you find yourself having to adjust your hold each time you aim the gun? Does it feel natural and comfortable in your hand? Can you deliver follow-up shots quickly and effectively? A lot more questions need to be answered but these are a good start.

Do not scrimp and go cheap when selecting a defensive sidearm. This doesn't mean you can't get a quality gun for a reasonable price. But don't think cheap. Other considerations are ease of maintenance, availability of parts and accessories, and comfort. Carrying a gun all day can become a problem if the gun is too heavy or too large.

Learn, learn, learn. And while you're learning, also learn to recognize and avoid the BS because God knows, there is one heck of a lot of BS in the gun world. You'd be amazed at the things people believe and pass on as fact which is actually completely and totally crap. Learn to recognize the crap and be able to separate it from fact.

To start you off on your quest, you should first decide upon what type of sidearm you want to buy: a revolver or a pistol (a pistol being a semi-automatic handgun in this discussion). From there, you can bet there is a huge assortment of guns from which to select and turn into your carry piece. I cannot stress quality enough. Regardless of whether it is to be a revolver or a semi-auto, think quality. If the gun doesn't go bang when it must, then everything else is a moot point.

I hope this helps you get going on your search. Please feel free to ply us with your questions.

Thomasmcnlt6

Thanks guys.
Yes, I am new to this, and I am also too young to buy or posses a gun, but I've made up my mind and when the time comes I will purchase. I don't want you think that this is a childish decision made by kid either. All of you are very knowledgeable and I thank you guys for that. I've been looking for a place to get a copy of the gun owner's guide, but if I can't find one I'll order it online.

Thomasmcnlt6

Yeah, that's the thing. My parents aren't crazy, I'm going to vouch for them there, but they think that everyone who is the least bit for 2A is a nutjob, and now they think the same of me. I'm going to try and educate them.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yeah, that's the thing. My parents aren't crazy, I'm going to vouch for them there, but they think that everyone who is the least bit for 2A is a nutjob, and now they think the same of me. I'm going to try and educate them.

Just take it slow. Parents want to know their kids are mature and they've been brainwashed by the same media that the anti's put out.

Thomasmcnlt6

No, they know that I'm not crazy. My mom, as it turns out, is apparently completely against guns, and my dad, sees the same side that I, and I guess everyone else on here, does as well. His opinion is that the negatives outweigh the positives. I would go as far to say that they've been the ones who have been brainwashed! You never see the media putting guns in civilian hands as a positive thing, and as a result, sane civilians with guns are never around enough to stop the insane ones. Their main concern is that anyone can go out and buy a gun. I don't really care though, I can wait until I'm eighteen to buy a gun. More time to learn, eh?

VApatriot

I'll be seventeen in december

Wow! This almost makes me feel like one of the old guys now, and I'm only 21. I first found opencarry.org (OCDO) when I too was 16. At the time I was trying find out if I could legally open carry (OC) a BB gun in Fairfax County, which I could and did a few times.

It felt like forever until my 18th birthday came around, and I could get my own gun and OC for real, and it seemed like an eternity passed while I waited to turn 21, so that I could apply for my concealed handgun permit (CHP).

I haven't seen anyone else mention it yet, but it would be great if you would check out the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL). In case you don't know, VCDL is the leader in all things related to gun-rights here in Virginia. VCDL offers a FREE subscription to the "VA-Alert" email news-letter, which will keep you informed of gun issues and laws from both across Virginia and around the country. You can easily subscribe (or unsubscribe) by clicking here: http://www.vcdl.org/static/va-alert.html

Many, if not most, of the members here on OCDO are also VCDL members, and a large number regularly attend VCDL meetings across the Commonwealth. The next meeting is on Thursday, September 16th in Annandale. There should be a separate forum thread up soon that will have all the details, and it would be great if you can make it.

Best of luck talking reason with your parents. I know exactly how that can go sometimes.

-Steve

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I've heard a lot about VCDL
How did you get your gun before you were 21?

I am one of the old guys. I got my first gun when I was 12 and my father was an old country boy turned lawyer. The bad thing about lawyers is they just see the consequences of mishandling or abusing guns. He was and still is borderline anti.

There were no age limits back then and his law partner gave me my first gun behind the scenes. A Savage 22 target rifle with Redfield peep sights.
I bought a box of 2LR's which were about 0.30 back then and headed for the woods.

I haven't looked back yet:lol:

Be patient, it will come!:cool:

VApatriot

How did you get your gun before you were 21?

I purchased two handguns from my older brother (it is legal for a family member to give or sell you a handgun), and I also purchased another in a private, face to face sale that I arranged through vaguntrader.com (which is also perfectly legal).

I was lucky to have an older brother who also likes guns, and would sell them to me once he bought new ones. My brother was also very useful in the purchasing of hundgun ammo, which, for the most part, you can't get from a dealer until you are 21.

t33j

It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

18 USC 922(b)(1)

Last edited:

nova

unlike firearms and alcohol, there's no such thing as a "straw purchase" for ammo. Not illegal to have someone 21+ to simply buy handgun ammo for you, even with your money.

eta: of course this is for people 18+ due to federal "Youth Handgun Safety Act" which requires you to be 18+ to possess a handgun or handgun ammo.

Last edited: