• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Protest at Arts Beats And Eats?

PDinDetroit

That's the plan, I'll be bringing a 3 ring binder with all the laws in it, and a handful of tri-folds just in case, and a video camera to record my hopefully incident free experience, a Glock 22, and spare magazines that's it. I'll be trying out a new ITAC holster, I'll have to post a review when I'm done, it seems to work pretty good so far, but we'll see how I feel after walking around with it tomorrow.

I was tempted for a few days to bring a PS90, but after I calmed down, and thought better of it, I figured it would be counter productive.

I wish I could be there with you, I would go but am still recovering from the surgery. I caught a simple cold and it is knocking the stuffing out of me. I am taking it REAL SLOW RIGHT NOW.

PDinDetroit

Just remember to be aware of who is engaging with you if something comes up. Any stupid comments should just be ignored unless they really want to understand.

Jerbear1098

Anyone feel like having fun, I'm having an argument over on Craigslist Detroit Rants and Raves about the AB&E's deal....

Join the fun...

kyleplusitunes

Anyone feel like having fun, I'm having an argument over on Craigslist Detroit Rants and Raves about the AB&E's deal....

Join the fun...

any Internet arguing over this will only be detrimental to our cause, argue on the Internet all you want but please don't associate this forum with it. I don't see how rubbing a lawful act in someones face, gloating, or boasting is going to be joined by any level headed adult on our forum.

point; we won. what's to argue about? the only answer I can come up with is to gloat or boast.

Jerbear1098

any Internet arguing over this will only be detrimental to our cause, argue on the Internet all you want but please don't associate this forum with it. I don't see how rubbing a lawful act in someones face, gloating, or boasting is going to be joined by any level headed adult on our forum.

point; we won. what's to argue about? the only answer I can come up with is to gloat or boast.

No gloating... just pointing out facts. Since the AB&E's has now opened, people are seeing OC people around. They don't like it. Even some that say they are CCer's. Hell I'm a CCer, but I like my choice if I so choose to do so. I open carry around my home, due to medical reasons, I don't OC outside of that. Just personal choice. I will stand side by side with those who chose to OC though.

It's about our rights and being able to keep them. Period.

kyleplusitunes

ah, again, the only fact anyone needs to know is the law prevailed, what facts need to be stated beyond that? lead by example, not by sinking to an antis argue on the Internet state of mind, as for ccers who don't agree with ocing, there are plenty of casual gun owners who don't know what RKBA really means, arguing with them is pointless, you won't win.

Small Arms Collector

Well I went today, and it was completely uneventful. I parked about a mile north on North Washington Avenue in front of the American House, and walked in to avoid paying witz's parking fee. The place was completely clogged with people, I mean Shoulder to shoulder, the streets were completely impassable, and the side walks were barely possible, I felt like I was walking through the streets of Bangkok, or something it was so ridiculously over crowded, actually I think Bangkok would likely be an improvement. God help you if you were in there, and had to get out in a hurry, or the crowd panicked. I went to prove a point, educate, and show solidarity with the people screwed by the liqueur license, I don't know why anyone else would come to a disorganized over crowded mess like that, even if you wanted to buy something, or do something it was to crowded to do it, there were places that it literally took 1 minute to move 1 foot, it was insane.

Of all the thousands of people there I don't think hardly anyone even noticed that I was carrying, I got no comments, no questions, nothing, I might have gotten a couple of glances, but I'm not sure, it really speaks volumes for the lack of situational awareness for most people.

I did run in to the media though, kind of, channel 4 to be specific, the van was there, and the reporter was getting ready to go live with the weather report I think, at least that's what I heard him saying to the camera man, I couldn't squeeze through the crowd so I had to stand there a minute, and as I was one of the "event staff" must have noticed that I was carrying, because he rushed over to the reporter, and pointed me out, but I heard the reporter tell him that he didn't want to cover "the gun thing", and they waited to start filming until I moved out of the shot, I was tempted to turn around, and deliberately get back in the shot, but I didn't.

Open Carry Alcohol was of course everywhere, as were beer stands, and lots, and lots of minors. The air smelt of nothing but sweat, burnt barbecue "stuff", and booze, with just a hint of cigarettes thrown in for good measure.

I video taped my time there, and was able to get about 45 minutes worth before I ran out of battery power. I'll try to get it posted up tomorrow night if I can, I've had about as much Arts Beats And Eats I can take for tonight.

One humorous anecdote though, apparently my camcorder must look like a Flashbang, because after I left, and was walking back to my car I was waiting for a crossing signal, and a group of teenagers standing behind me apparently noticed me carrying, and were talking amongst themselves, and apparently I had a Taser (actually a Glock 22) Spare Magazines (true, I had 4, and I was pleased that they said mags, and not clips), and a Flashbang, which I assume must have been my Camcorder.

Last edited:

Bailenforcer

First the teenagers. Isn't it funny what Xbox causes? I know where they got the camcorder flash bang thing if you ever played Xbox you would understand. yea to some the Taser and Glock might look similar.

I am happy it worked out and I would have a problem with that crowded a venue. I never was fond of that close of contact with complete strangers rubbing against me.

Did you see L Brooks staggering around with a drink in his hand?

I am looking forward to seeing the video, I wish I was closer to down there, I would have stopped by.

Well I went today, and it was completely uneventful. I parked about a mile north on North Washington Avenue in front of the American House, and walked in to avoid paying witz's parking fee. The place was completely clogged with people, I mean Shoulder to shoulder, the streets were completely impassable, and the side walks were barely possible, I felt like I was walking through the streets of Bangkok, or something it was so ridiculously over crowded, actually I think Bangkok would likely be an improvement. God help you if you were in there, and had to get out in a hurry, or the crowd panicked. I went to prove a point, educate, and show solidarity with the people screwed by the liqueur license, I don't know why anyone else would come to a disorganized over crowded mess like that, even if you wanted to buy something, or do something it was to crowded to do it, there were places that it literally took 1 minute to move 1 foot, it was insane.

Of all the thousands of people there I don't think hardly anyone even noticed that I was carrying, I got no comments, no questions, nothing, I might have gotten a couple of glances, but I'm not sure, it really speaks volumes for the lack of situational awareness for most people.

I did run in to the media though, kind of, channel 4 to be specific, the van was there, and the reporter was getting ready to go live with the weather report I think, at least that's what I heard him saying to the camera man, I couldn't squeeze through the crowd so I had to stand there a minute, and as I was one of the "event staff" must have noticed that I was carrying, because he rushed over to the reporter, and pointed me out, but I heard the reporter tell him that he didn't want to cover "the gun thing", and they waited to start filming until I moved out of the shot, I was tempted to turn around, and deliberately get back in the shot, but I didn't.

Open Carry Alcohol was of course everywhere, as were beer stands, and lots, and lots of minors. The air smelt of nothing but sweat, burnt barbecue "stuff", and booze, with just a hint of cigarettes thrown in for good measure.

I video taped my time there, and was able to get about 45 minutes worth before I ran out of battery power. I'll try to get it posted up tomorrow night if I can, I've had about as much Arts Beats And Eats I can take for tonight.

One humorous anecdote though, apparently my camcorder must look like a Flashbang, because after I left, and was walking back to my car I was waiting for a crossing signal, and a group of teenagers standing behind me apparently noticed me carrying, and were talking amongst themselves, and apparently I had a Taser (actually a Glock 22) Spare Magazines (true, I had 4, and I was pleased that they said mags, and not clips), and a Flashbang, which I assume must have been my Camcorder.

Small Arms Collector

First the teenagers. Isn't it funny what Xbox causes? I know where they got the camcorder flash bang thing if you ever played Xbox you would understand. yea to some the Taser and Glock might look similar.

I am happy it worked out and I would have a problem with that crowded a venue. I never was fond of that close of contact with complete strangers rubbing against me.

Did you see L Brooks staggering around with a drink in his hand?

I am looking forward to seeing the video, I wish I was closer to down there, I would have stopped by.

Here's the Video:

Please excuse the terrible camera work in parts 1, and 2.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8