• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weapons in Privately owned vehicle on company property

Deleted_User

New to the site, but did some reading before joining. Thanks to all those posting great information. I just learned today at Cabela's by the Fish and Wildlife guys that Open Carry is LEGAL and I was directed to this site. (My thanks to these guys for opening my eyes to see I'm not alone. Being from PA, open carry is something I am used to seeing)

Having said this, I was given a "threat" by an employer. He knows I carry. (I do have my CPL for Concealed Carry) He informed me that having a weapon in my vehicle on business property isn't allowed. I have no problem with that. He then informed me he had the legal right to search my car if he deemed cause warranted it. I said he may search the car the day his name is on the title. He has norighte, nor cause as I have been in compliance with the letter of the law.

Just looking for opinions as beating my head against the wall ... :banghead: wasn't helping. Looking forward to chatting and getting to know some people and report to the South Sound OC thread.

Last edited:

OrangeIsTrouble

It's not against the law to carry at work is it? (Maybe you work in a restricted place, who knows) How would he know if you CC? Concealed means what now?

Now where am I going with this......

BTW; having a gun (even drawing on a threat) while at work will leave you jobless, but you can never replace your life!:eek:

TechnoWeenie

1. As an employer, he can set the rules. If he says no guns on the property, it's 'his' property.

2. He can NOT search your car without your consent.

3. WA is an 'at will' state, meaning he can fire you for any or no reason at all. If you decline consent to search your car, he can fire you. If you come in wearing purple and he doesn't like purple, he can fire you. If he feels like being an *******, and you're the first person he sees that day, he can fire you.

4. Go through your employee guidebook/SOP and make sure he's following what it says. As a last resort, contact human resources (if available)

Deleted_User

I work for a distributor which is regulated by the Washington State Liquor Control Board. (no one under 21)

I don't carry concealed in the workplace and usually leave it at home with the wife when I am at work. My car is unseen sometimes for hours at a time. (My wife is also a CPL holder)

Hurray for "At will" employment. Point taken.

To answer the first reply, a co-worker and I chat frequently about his past as a Corrections Officer and helped me to get my permit. This was never done during company time. When he (the boss) asked if we owned fire arms or carry, my co-worker responded with a yes. /shrug He then told us we can't have a weapon at work, in our car, and he can search.

OrangeIsTrouble

To answer the first reply, a co-worker and I chat frequently about his past as a Corrections Officer and helped me to get my permit. This was never done during company time. When he (the boss) asked if we owned fire arms or carry, my co-worker responded with a yes. /shrug He then told us we can't have a weapon at work, in our car, and he can search.

To reply to your reply. You don't seem to get it...

Concealed means concealed. Go about your daily duties without any weird actions. Don't give anybody any reason to think anything. If he suspects, he will/might fire, even if the suspicion is wrong.

TechnoWeenie

To reply to your reply. You don't seem to get it...

Concealed means concealed. Go about your daily duties without any weird actions. Don't give anybody any reason to think anything. If he suspects, he will/might fire, even if the suspicion is wrong.

Thunderwear is your friend.

I had a similar conversation with my boss @ my PT gig... 'I know you're into guns, I just wanna make sure you know that you can't carry while you're on the clock'..

My response was.

'I wouldn't knowingly violate policy'

He then asked if I carried in my vehicle when I was at work.

I again responded.. ' I wouldn't knowingly violate policy'..

He kinda laughed, and said 'I shouldn't ask questions I don't want to know the answer to...'

We both smiled. :D

That being said, we have a pretty good working relationship.

Almost sounds like your boss is being a douche about things.

jt59

All true,

That said, if I worked for someone who stated they could search my car without my permission, I'd start looking for another employer....he has other issues (control freak)....and sooner or later he is going to be a jerk or act on his suspicion (or try)....unless you happen to also work in a union shop....still an "at will" situation but, then there is an employment contract in place that may set a framework of discharge (sorry) rules.

Is he the "Boss" (ie: owner) or is he a distribution point manager?

1. As an employer, he can set the rules. If he says no guns on the property, it's 'his' property.

3. WA is an 'at will' state, meaning he can fire you for any or no reason at all. If you decline consent to search your car, he can fire you. If you come in wearing purple and he doesn't like purple, he can fire you. If he feels like being an *******, and you're the first person he sees that day, he can fire you.

4. Go through your employee guidebook/SOP and make sure he's following what it says. As a last resort, contact human resources (if available)

Last edited:

amlevin

Yes, one can be fired in WA State without cause. The "fly in the ointment" however is that if any indication of why one was terminated then it might be construed as "for cause". This brings on several conditions that must be met in order to avoid a wrongful discharge lawsuit. Is the employer following his own rules? Is he applying them equally?

If you can show that you had a conversation regarding a firearm in a vehicle and are subsequently terminated "at will" there might be a case made that it was really "for cause". Now comes the "proof" part. Did the employer find a weapon or did he just think it was there?

I not only carried a pistol at work (in my briefcase) but often had a second firearm in my vehicle. I was the only one that knew both were there and I didn't discuss my firearms at work with ANYONE! Too many people like to "share" when it comes to firearms and once more than one person knows about it there's no secret anymore.

As for "inspecting/searching" employee vehicles, it is highly unlikely that an employer would do so unless you are parking inside a secure area. An example would be those cars parked inside the Boeing plants and have to pass through a security point on exit. I believe the right to park inside is subject to search anytime the employer wants. Likewise for military installations, etc.

As to submitting to search, and I was not parking inside a secured area, If asked I would merely move my vehicle off the company property.

Last edited:

WinchesterModel12

My work says the same thing. I told them they better have the Tukwila police show up with a search warrant, because anything less they could not search my vehicle. They dropped the subject.
I take my firearm everywhere the law says I can.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
If company policy prohibits weapons on said property. I got around my company policy by parking in another garage or parking in another lot. Install a gun safe in the vehicle with a good locking system.

joejoejoe

First off Goose, welcome to the boards. You will become very educated in Washington State law if you just check the site daily. I am very happy we have a new OCer here!

I think what you would like to know is the actually law pertaining your situation.

RCW 9.41.300

(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:

(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; or

Read RCW 9.41.300 and memorize it. They are the only regulations regarding where you CANNOT carry. Everything else is permissible (except music concerts with 250 or more people for some reason is located in another RCW).

Secondly, not even the police have the right to search you on a "hunch."

RCW 9.41.270 defines "unlawful carry of a firearm."
So you don't ask later, it says you cannot intend to intimidate or warrant alarm. It does not say you cannot carry.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:

(a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business

Question: Does this "employer" own the company, or is he just your boss? There is a BIG difference between the two, as I spent the last 5 years of my life as a Manager - not an owner.

Lastly, when I was working in Oregon, I got fired because I got in a fight as a security officer. I was attacked, and I defended myself and injured 3 men. I was "let go" from the job. When I called a lawyer, he said Oregon is an at-will state and can fire me for any reason. I told him the situation and he said I cannot be fired for carrying out a "civil right." He told me to ask for the reason why I was fired. If the reason was, "You got in a fight OR you attempted a citizens arrest," then I could sue. When I asked my employer, they said it was because my job is to "observe and report," and I did not do that. They said I failed to follow company policy regarding an incident.

Carrying a firearm is a right, and should he fire you because you were exercising a right, you may have grounds to sue. I am all for freedom and liberty, and I think they should be able to fire you for ANY reason, so I would just not work for someone who was not OK with me carrying a gun. It is, however, worth asking a lawyer about it (if you can find free advise).

Good luck, and find another job if this is the owner. Otherwise, bite your lip and hope your life is never at risk on the job.

Joe~

Metalhead47

Carrying a firearm is a right, and should he fire you because you were exercising a right, you may have grounds to sue. I am all for freedom and liberty, and I think they should be able to fire you for ANY reason, so I would just not work for someone who was not OK with me carrying a gun. It is, however, worth asking a lawyer about it (if you can find free advise).

Good luck, and find another job if this is the owner. Otherwise, bite your lip and hope your life is never at risk on the job.

Joe~

I believe it was Metro vs Cheery (King cty vs Cherry?) that established that an employer CAN fire you for carrying on the job, under the current law. No grounds to sue.

Metalhead47

Thanks Metal... So.. yeah, find a new job or risk your life daily.

Joe~

IIRC Cheery (Cherry?) was a union driver dismissed by KC metro for packing at work. Just goes to show that not even a strong union can protect an employee on this matter. Personally, if I drove for Metro, ain't no way in hell I'd go to work WITHOUT a gun. Preferably belt-fed.

Deleted_User

My thanks to everyone for the responses. Every tidbit helped and will help in the future.

Lockbox in the car is already a done deal. Great suggestion though, as I had to be told about it first before I actually did it. My father in law just tucks his under his seat. I bought him a box too :)

Lastly, he is the "Regional Manager" so not the owner. He's about 5 steps removed from manager. I know he's just being pompous, so moving on is an option

Again, thanks to everyone for a tidbit of knowledge.

Metalhead +1 on belt-fed. That's funny.

Last edited:

Lovenox

Not even MY employer has the legal right to search MY personal vehicle on company property! Granted, when I come onto MY employer's property I am CONSENTING to random searches. If MY employer does not have the RIGHT to search my vehicle on company property, I can guarantee you that your employer does not.

My employer is way farther up the food chain than your employer, I am willing to bet. :banana:

Are you in the Navy, if so your vehicle can be search at anytime upon entering a DOD installation. It happens all the time here on Ft Lewis...I could be wrong but I am sure your vehilce can be searched.

Vitaeus

Are you in the Navy, if so your vehicle can be search at anytime upon entering a DOD installation. It happens all the time here on Ft Lewis...I could be wrong but I am sure your vehilce can be searched.

reread his wording, it is NOT a right. It is consenting to a condition of access/employment, some folks around here get a bit defensive of RIGHT's for some reason :)

mark-in-texas

A former employer once posted their intentions to be searching vehicles. I was able to start parking off their property and walked an extra few yards to work. When they asked me, I told them 'your rules end at your property line.' I refuse to give up my right to self protection for someone elses stupidity!

joejoejoe

It goes Store Manager ----> Area Manger ----> District Manager -----> Regional Manager then from there it typically breaks down into the four major locations: North, East, South, and West. They are typically called North Regional Manager, East, South, and West... then to VP and President. I would call H.R. and ask. In a corporation, your Regional could be in the wrong. It is never a good idea to get on your Regional's bad side, but it may make you feel better if you for sure whether you can or can't. I'd just CC (I did this at work), and hope they don't notice. It's unfortunate you have to go through this, but companies have their rights too.

Joe~