• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weapons in Privately owned vehicle on company property

amlevin

Today we found out a warehouse worker returned from a hunting trip in time for work. He came to work and got to his job. Management passed by his vehicle and saw his rifle prominently displayed in the back. .

Perhaps not to the level of "Epic", it was still a "FAIL". In this case it was merely a member of management that noticed the rifle in an unattended vehicle. What might have happened if it was seen by one of the local "smash/grab" artists? My cardinal rule is to leave NOTHING visible in my vehicle when I'm away from it. Anything, from a range bag to rifle, gets covered with a blanket or is stored out of sight. Too much "window shopping" going around. It only takes seconds for your prized possession to disappear, even from a locked vehicle.

If "management" hadn't noticed it "prominently" displayed there'd be no memo.

Whitney

Ask??

We have been told they will ask. I will simply pass as they really have no legal right since my car isn't on company property to search it now. They truly have no "right" to search it there even, but they also have the ability to fire me for non-consent. I'm glad I don't work at the warehouse anymore. Now if I can only get them to realize my property is just that.

I'm not clear, are you saying you have been told the management will ask if you have a firearm, or that they will ask to search your vehicle?

-Whitney

Deleted_User

Perhaps not to the level of "Epic", it was still a "FAIL". In this case it was merely a member of management that noticed the rifle in an unattended vehicle. What might have happened if it was seen by one of the local "smash/grab" artists? My cardinal rule is to leave NOTHING visible in my vehicle when I'm away from it. Anything, from a range bag to rifle, gets covered with a blanket or is stored out of sight. Too much "window shopping" going around. It only takes seconds for your prized possession to disappear, even from a locked vehicle.

If "management" hadn't noticed it "prominently" displayed there'd be no memo.

+1 I'll quote Poosharker on the first response to this thread ... Concealed means what now?

The rifle is a DEFINATELY fail and being in Kent I'm surprised it wasn't stolen. If this didn't happen, no one would care, and I personally won't change a thing.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
There is a difference between rules and laws. Employers can make rules. The legislature makes laws. Breaking a law can get you arrested. Breaking a rule can get you fired but not arrested.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I bet this guy is glad he violated company policy...

Dutch Bros. barista shoots, kills robber in Eugene

UPDATED 8:40 a.m.: Police in Eugene are investigating an attempted coffee-shop robbery Wednesday night that ended with the barista shooting and killing one of the suspects.

Authorities say that around 9 p.m. Wednesday, two men tried to rob the Dutch Bros. Coffee kiosk in the 2100 block of Franklin Blvd. near Walnut Street. One individual forced his way into the shop while the other stood outside, Lt. Doug Mozan said this morning.

An apparent struggle ensued inside the kiosk, Mozan said. The coffee-shop employee shot the robber, who died at the scene. The second suspect fled.

Police are not releasing the identity of either the employee or the shooting victim. Travis Boersma, co-founder of the Grants Pass-based coffee chain, declined comment until police complete their investigation.

Angie Galimanis, a spokeswoman for the company, said the company has a policy prohibiting employees from carrying firearms at work. But it was not immediately clear what weapon was used in the shooting. Galimanis said the robber was armed.

Police are looking for the second robbery suspect. He is described as a white male, 20 to 30 years of age, standing 5-foot-10 with blond hair and medium build. He was last seen wearing dark jeans, brown hiking boots and a dark, zip-up, puffy coat with a fold-down collar.

Dutch Bros., one of the nation's largest privately held coffee shop chains, has 156 locations in seven states.

Metalhead47

Dutch Bros. barista shoots, kills robber in Eugene

UPDATED 8:40 a.m.: Police in Eugene are investigating an attempted coffee-shop robbery Wednesday night that ended with the barista shooting and killing one of the suspects.

Authorities say that around 9 p.m. Wednesday, two men tried to rob the Dutch Bros. Coffee kiosk in the 2100 block of Franklin Blvd. near Walnut Street. One individual forced his way into the shop while the other stood outside, Lt. Doug Mozan said this morning.

An apparent struggle ensued inside the kiosk, Mozan said. The coffee-shop employee shot the robber, who died at the scene. The second suspect fled.

Police are not releasing the identity of either the employee or the shooting victim. Travis Boersma, co-founder of the Grants Pass-based coffee chain, declined comment until police complete their investigation.

Angie Galimanis, a spokeswoman for the company, said the company has a policy prohibiting employees from carrying firearms at work. But it was not immediately clear what weapon was used in the shooting. Galimanis said the robber was armed.

Police are looking for the second robbery suspect. He is described as a white male, 20 to 30 years of age, standing 5-foot-10 with blond hair and medium build. He was last seen wearing dark jeans, brown hiking boots and a dark, zip-up, puffy coat with a fold-down collar.

Dutch Bros., one of the nation's largest privately held coffee shop chains, has 156 locations in seven states.

Yeah, now watch him get fired :banghead:

Deleted_User

I'm not clear, are you saying you have been told the management will ask if you have a firearm, or that they will ask to search your vehicle?

-Whitney

WOW, sorry to not see and respond MUCH quicker :(. I have been told management will ask if we have a firearm.

They can ask all they want to search. Without a warrant, it ain't happening.

Metalhead47

+1 but a sad state of assairs when you get fired for protecting your life, and the business you're working at. That's a double :banghead::banghead:

Yup. I know for a fact, that if I carried at work against company policy, and I stopped a psycho axe murder with a record that makes Maurice Clemmons look like a prude from slaughtering a bus full of disabled school children, I'd end up out on my ass so fast it'd make my head spin, and the union couldn't do a durn thing about it. :cuss:

amlevin

Yeah, now watch him get fired :banghead:

Unless, during the "Struggle" the robber's gun went off and killed the robber.

If the Employee used his own gun, he has a case that it was necessary for his Self Defense and the Employer's policy is bogus (which we all here think it is). Something he might be able to use when fighting a wrongful discharge lawsuit. An Employer denying an Employee of a Constitutional right may play well with a Jury. Would if I was sitting on it.

xxx.jakk.xxx

If the Employee used his own gun, he has a case that it was necessary for his Self Defense and the Employer's policy is bogus (which we all here think it is). Something he might be able to use when fighting a wrongful discharge lawsuit. An Employer denying an Employee of a Constitutional right may play well with a Jury. Would if I was sitting on it.

Couldn't we just say that the businesses we work for can't restrict them since it's specifically stated in RCW 9.41.050 that we can carry at work? That would be nice, huh? I can dream.... =[

RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

We can hope that such a case would go all the way to the state/US supreme court, and that they would find that such company policies are a direct infringement of an essential human right, but....

Remember, there's plenty of precedence for employers denying the right to free speech.

sudden valley gunner

We can hope that such a case would go all the way to the state/US supreme court, and that they would find that such company policies are a direct infringement of an essential human right, but....

Remember, there's plenty of precedence for employers denying the right to free speech.

I definitely think there could be an argument against parking lot bans, this impairs your right to be armed to and from work, etc.

Metalhead47

Free speech can be denied by anyone but the Government. Carefully read the First Amendment. It only bars the Government from passing laws against freely expressing one's self.

Y'know I'd never quite thought of it like that. So what's your take on the "constitutional rights don't extend onto private property" bit?

amlevin

Y'know I'd never quite thought of it like that. So what's your take on the "constitutional rights don't extend onto private property" bit?

My "take" is that a fundamental right can't be denied by anyone. Be it speech or Self Defense. Where we sometimes get tangled up in our underwear is that the Bill of Rights only places limits on Government, not individuals.

Laws can't be passed that take fundamental rights away. How can an employer use the law to enforce his denying a right? Yes, they have the right to deny one's presence on their property but an Employer has essentially "invited" you, enticing you with money to compensate for your time while doing his work. Does that give him the right to deny a fundamental right? Maybe someday we'll see this logic used in a lawsuit fighting a "dismissal" for exercising one's right to provide for their own defense.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

My "take" is that a fundamental right can't be denied by anyone. Be it speech or Self Defense. Where we sometimes get tangled up in our underwear is that the Bill of Rights only places limits on Government, not individuals.

Laws can't be passed that take fundamental rights away. How can an employer use the law to enforce his denying a right? Yes, they have the right to deny one's presence on their property but an Employer has essentially "invited" you, enticing you with money to compensate for your time while doing his work. Does that give him the right to deny a fundamental right? Maybe someday we'll see this logic used in a lawsuit fighting a "dismissal" for exercising one's right to provide for their own defense.

OK now I'm gonna mess with ya... so by that logic, should an employer also be prevented from dismissing employees for being rude to customers, or preaching to them? (free spech)