• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Motorcycle and OC

TheFreeman

Just picked up a Ninja 250R as my first bike as of last Friday! I'm excited to get into the world of riding.

Anyways, I just had a passing thought about OCing while riding. Typically I CC anyways, but I was wondering if anyone carries open while riding. Seems that driving in a car would be one thing, but on a motorcycle would be a lot more open, and passing more people.

Thoughts?

sultan62

I've done it a few times, never had any problems. Some people say they notice cars give them more space, but I haven't yet seen this.

Good luck.

Smith45acp

I do it all the time with no problems. Even the cary gestapo recognizes this as vehicle carry which does not fall under their restrictions on public property carry.

Raleigh pd, in particular, have never said a word about it to me and dozens have surely noticed. I definitely get a lot of looks from both leo and passing cars / people at stop lights.

I find it's a great time to wear my "guns save lives" button (thanks Dreamer!) right next to my sidearm.

mekender

Any concerns about laying the bike down on the gun in an accident?

I realize that should that happen, the gun would probably be the least of your worries but there is still a possibility of it firing is there not?

sultan62

Any concerns about laying the bike down on the gun in an accident?

I realize that should that happen, the gun would probably be the least of your worries but there is still a possibility of it firing is there not?

Not a significant chance in my case. Unless it somehow comes out of the holster, deactivates the slide safety, beavertail safety, and trigger safety WHILE pulling the trigger.

Smith45acp

Well, I left a pair of $150 ray bans on I-40, and vowed never to lose anything like that again. Besides the monetary pain of dropping a pistol I've spent thousands on there are other obvious concerns as well, like if I can't find it.

SO retention is the name of the game. I wear a good gun belt with a serpa holster. It isn't going anywhere without me. I've tugged and twisted and pulled on it. And that's the paddle type serpa, it just has big ass hooks that catch the bottom of your belt. Takes two hands and some practice to take it off even when I want to.

As far as falling, yeah that might scratch up my beautiful pistol but no I'm not concerned about it firing in an accident whatsoever.

Adam H

The important question is how do you wear the proper safety clothing and still OC? Most motorcycle clothing is designed to protect you, not to allow OC.

As for carrying on a motorcycle. I've found that a S&W snubnose hides perfectly in the inside pocket of both my leather and my textile jackets. If you don't have a small gun, you can fit a full size gun in some jackets. You'll just have to get creative.

Also, just in case nobody has told you this, DO NOT ACT LIKE AN IDIOT ON THE BIKE. Trust me, acting stupid will get you hurt. I flipped my V Star 650 two weeks ago and ended up with a broke collarbone. It's not worth it. I also wasn't wearing anything other that a helmet and gloves. Wear your safety clothing. Yeah, it's uncomfortable but you'll be glad you had it on when you go down.

TheFreeman

I would imagine that with a jacket and pants that a, say Serpa holster, could stick out between the two and ride in plain sight.

But now looking at my jacket, there is a nice pocket that my XDSC would probably fit in real well.

I hate to hear that you wrecked your bike Adam. I hope you have a speedy recovery. You're totally right though, safety gear is a must.

jtrider

My primary means of transportation is a motorcycle. Last year, I put about 36,000 miles on bikes. I ride year round. I also wear ATGATT....All The Gear, All The Time. Protective jacket, pants, gloves, helmet, and boots, all motorcycle specific.

I've discovered a few things about firearms and motorcycles. It is pretty hard to operate both at the same time. I rarely get on a bike without protective gloves on. Few protective gloves offer the dexterity to draw and operate a handgun. Holster retaining systems, trigger guards, safety switches, etc. are almost impossible to safely or efficiently use with gloves on. Removing a glove while underway on a bike is no small feat. It is hard for me to imagine a situation I would encounter that would be made better by drawing a weapon with either hand. My strong hand is my right hand, which also runs the throttle. My left, weak side hand, once it has a handgun in it, will no longer allow me to operate the front brake, which offers the majority of my stopping power. Basically, by drawing a weapon, I have relinquished over half of the control of the bike. Re-holstering would be a bit difficult when adrenaline, confusion, fear, shock are all running through my brain and veins. I'm pretty much resolved that any weapon use is limited to stopped or off the bike use. Road rage incidents are better dealt with using either the brakes or the throttle. Drawing a weapon in traffic may relay the wrong message to an onlooker who may feel threatened, and remove the threat with their SUV. Food for thought. I can't imagine any firearm being an effective defense tool on a moving motorcycle. Once stopped, it would take some quick action to make yourself ready to use a firearm. Dropping a bike to address an attacker is easier said than done. Often, the rider goes down with the bike, a disadvantage I wouldn't need right then. Evasion would be my first and foremost option.

If you are carrying as a fashion statement, consider the risks in a get off. Wearing the right riding gear usually allows for a slide to a stop. An exposed holster is providing for something to catch on the ground and send you into a tumble you might not of otherwise encountered. Where is the payoff for the risk?

On a side note...will your holster retaining system withstand the impact, or number of impacts that could happen in a crash? If you leave the scene in a meat wagon, who finds and tends to your weapon, if it slides down the road or was thrown into the ditch? Just things to consider.

Northerner

Somewhat related to your thread

Entertaining 4 part video on You Tube covering a motorcycle open carry stop in Michigen (2 bikes). I found it just by typing a search for "open carry." Seems the laws for OC in Michigen are similar to NC's, but not 100% sure. Still very entertaining seeing the LEO(s) get schooled by the "on call" prosecutor. Also, some lessons learned about what to say and not say to the LEOs.

Thanks DetroitBiker!

Last edited:

buzzsaw

I just finished viewing a video sent to me by a friend who is a Harley enthusiast which includes old footage of Military scouts circa WWII practicing laying down their US Govt. Harley rides while drawing and taking cover behind the bike. Granted, the bikes in question were 750 powered and not nearly as heavy as the cruisers of today but clearly it can be done. As for the adrenalin fueled aftermath the obvious answer is practice, practice, practice. I can't describe the adrenalin rush from my first parachute jump or first play from scrimmage in high school etc. but with repetition those responses were replaced by the practiced action that I trained into my mind and body. Never let laziness (lack of preparation) or lack of situational awareness put you in harms way.

flb_78

My left, weak side hand, once it has a handgun in it, will no longer allow me to operate the front brake, which offers the majority of my stopping power.

Your front brake is on the left side? Every motorcycle I've ever ridden has the clutch on the left side and the front brake on the right side.

rdinatal

Your front brake is on the left side? Every motorcycle I've ever ridden has the clutch on the left side and the front brake on the right side.

Saw that, good catch!

I rode to a local store Sat for some reloading supplies. When I got back in the garage I noticed my vest was caught behind my holster. Rode past a Meck local and Sheriff up I77 don't know if they saw it or not (black on black).

-R

Last edited:

DetroitBiker

Entertaining 4 part video on You Tube covering a motorcycle open carry stop in Missouri (2 bikes). I found it just by typing a search for "open carry." Seems the laws for OC in Missouri are similar to NC's, but not 100% sure. Still very entertaining seeing the LEO(s) get schooled by the "on call" prosecutor. Also, some lessons learned about what to say and not say to the LEOs.
I think you were watching the Video from Michigan Open Carry , It was in Jackson Mi.http://www.youtube.com/user/OpenCarryMI#p/u/22/hxMaJKEVTAo

Last edited:

Bearfoot

Good points on the motorcycle carry. I asked a local LEO here about open carry on a bike. Was told it is no different than a 4-wheeled vihicle. Same laws apply to both. On a sidenote, it ain't so much being able to draw and drive, it is a matter of saving your ass from the stupidity of people in a hurry to go nowhere with a total disregard for safety on the road. I have 139db horn on my cruiser. Pull up next to someone talking and sexting that has the window rolled down and let them hear that baby. Scares the crap out of them. And since the horn and turn signal are within an inch of each other, oops, honest mistake, :lol:.

Preble

High Point, North Carolina, United States
Good points on the motorcycle carry. I asked a local LEO here about open carry on a bike. Was told it is no different than a 4-wheeled vihicle. Same laws apply to both. On a sidenote, it ain't so much being able to draw and drive, it is a matter of saving your ass from the stupidity of people in a hurry to go nowhere with a total disregard for safety on the road. I have 139db horn on my cruiser. Pull up next to someone talking and sexting that has the window rolled down and let them hear that baby. Scares the crap out of them. And since the horn and turn signal are within an inch of each other, oops, honest mistake, :lol:.

motorcycle run and guns, now that would be fun.

where did you get your horn, i have been looking for a loud horn with out putting out a ton of greenbacks

JoeSparky

Centurion

a little off topic but...
I was OC'ing on my bike on July24 this year with a 139db air horn installed on my 1600cc Touring Cruiser. THE BIG BUCK MULE DEER JUST STOOD AND LOOKED AT ME WITH THE HORN BLARING AND THE BRAKES LOCKED ALL THE WAY TO IMPACT..... Killed the deer, killed the bike, Did not kill me! But did brake a knee!

Bearfoot

motorcycle run and guns, now that would be fun.

where did you get your horn, i have been looking for a loud horn with out putting out a ton of greenbacks

OC'd on the bike today. Got a lot of looks when passing motorists, and especially at the gas station and at stop lights. I did realize that i will have to get a different style holster for riding. Off work tomorrow, so it sounds like a shopping trip is in order.

The horn in question is a "Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horn". It comes in matte black or chrome. It is put out by Amanet Motorcycle Products Division. I purchased mine from Chopper Toyz in Morehead City, NC. Out the door cost was $70 bucks. It comes with a plug-and-play hareness that uses the existing wiring on your bike. I ride a Yamaha V-Star 1300 Tourer. Piece of cake to install.