• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally got a big-boy gun.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Well, after trying lots of guns of different brands, in different calibers, doing research, firing more guns, reading reviews, more research, throwing darts, firing more guns, checking my horoscope, rolling dice, firing more guns, flipping a coin, shopping around...

...I finally ended up buying a Ruger P345 at Federal Way Discount Guns.

Decided that at age 54 I was finally old enough for something bigger than my Ruger Standard .22lr.

Need to get some range time on it and find a holster so I can carry. I do plan on carrying it while driving a U-haul truck from here to Lubbock Texas in two weeks (helping my daughter & son-in-law move).

Stand by for OC reports from Carnation.

69Charger

Great SCOOOOOOOOORE.
I have been hooked on the 45 cal for a long time.
Congrats. :)

Dave

joejoejoe

Ruger ftw! Be sure to check the open carry laws during your travels! Some states require you have a CPL for the gun to be loaded (in our out of a car). I can't wait to hear the stories.

Joe~

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Ruger ftw! Be sure to check the open carry laws during your travels! Some states require you have a CPL for the gun to be loaded (in our out of a car). I can't wait to hear the stories.

Joe~

Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna like having a second (bigger) Ruger in the family.

joe, I've checked (and re-checked...) the laws along my route to Texas, and know which states honor my WA CPL. which don't, how I have to carry in the car in those that don't, etc. The route I'm taking I'm fairly good.

It's because of the people on this forum that I have taken this step. I've been on here for over a year, and have learned a lot. My wife & I had inherited the .22lr a few years ago and have enjoyed it, got our CPL's a few months ago, and now that I'm employed again and getting debts paid of, it was time.

Next is to find something bigger than the .22 for my wife. She has neck & shoulder pain issues, so larger calibers can be a problem. Tried a couple of .380's a couple weeks ago, and thats a possibility. The LCP had too much kick for her because of its small size, but she handled a larger .380 fairly well.

Need to make it to one of the meets someday. Timing always seems to be an issue.

Last edited:

j2l3

Next is to find something bigger than the .22 for my wife. She has neck & shoulder pain issues, so larger calibers can be a problem. Tried a couple of .380's a couple weeks ago, and thats a possibility. The LCP had too much kick for her because of its small size, but she handled a larger .380 fairly well. QUOTE]

Bersa makes a nice .380. The Thunder. Federal SWay Discount Guns seems to have the best price on it. I paid $250 a year ago for one. My wife loves it.

Congrats on the Ruger. I've carried a Ruger P94 in .40 S&W for a lot of years. Very reliable gun.

Last edited:

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
I'll 2nd the Bersa Thunder. I own one and it's a great little gun. Eats just about any ammo you care to use. Oddly enough, the only problems I've had with mine have been with FMJ ammoand that was with the Italian stuff (red, white and green box). It eats JHP all day long.

Last edited: