• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to TN. from FLA. question about TN. cc

koja1962

maybe someone can answer my question before my move.I will be moving from florida to tenn. do i have to go through the whole fingerprint background check . someone i know in tenn.said they just transfered their fla licence. is that true. i sure would hate to wait three months. thanks for any help in this matter.

HvyMtl

LOL that is perfectly ok. Been called far worse... Anyway, welcome to Tennessee.

Hope you like it here.

Somyonguy

to: HvyMtl

I'm from Tampa, and I carry in TN and FL when I go back to Tampa to visit. You will find a lot of states honor TN's permit. You can open carry too, so no more worrying about flashing your weapon on accident and haveing a complaint on you.

When you get to TN and apply for your drivers license, give the clerk your FL carry permit and tell them you want to transfer that to TN. TN recognizes FL permits so you can carry in TN under your FL permit. TN Department of Motor Vehicles will know what steps you will have to take, I'm pretty sure you won't have to re test, maybe get finger printed if your FL prints are not digital and transferable. TN has upgraded to Digital fingerprints, its fast and no mess.

I was pulled over by Florida Hwy patrol in Brooksville, FL while I was carring. I held both hands on my door, I explained to the officer that I am a permit holder and that I was carring. The officer,with a sence of humor,said you don't intend to shoot me do you? I said no! I then let him know that I would have to reach past my fire arm to get to my wallet and he said no problem just move slow. I handed him my TN license and Permit. He wrote me a speeding ticket and I was on my way.
Point is, most officers are very comfortable with permit holders so don't worry about carring in TN under your FL permit.

Welcome to TN, were glad to have you, and your right to carry.

HvyMtl

OOP. I am the local, Koja1962 is the new to be here.

Your info is SPOT ON. And thank goodness for reciprocity. But, that covers only so much.

Koja1962, let us know how things go. Where you moving to?

Last edited:

Pol Mordreth

Transferring FL carry license

@ koja1962:

What somyonguy said is only partially correct. You must transfer your carry permit within 6 months of moving here, you will have to take an 8 hour carry permit class, and you must pay the renewal fee. (The new permit fee is $115, the renewal fee is $50, so you save a bit there) Carry permit class costs vary by location, so which town / metro area you are moving to will affect that. Usually 65-75 plus ammo (50 rounds) or around 100 including ammo.

After you have lived here for 6 months your FL permit is no longer valid in TN. Reciprocity is only for non-residents of the state.

Moving to TN requirements: http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgun/reciprocity.htm

Florida carry permit holders requirements: http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgun/apprequirements.htm#FL

Welcome to TN!

Pol

HvyMtl

If you have to take the permit class, may I recommend another forum to look for good classes: tngunowners.com

The digital scan of your fingerprints is included in the price of the State fee. In addition, many locations where the Permits Courses are taught, can also do the fingerprint scans.

Last edited: