• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW Class Question

buckeye22

hey all,

i have a question about ccw classes near lexington. i go to the university of KY but i am an ohio resident. so my options are to get a ccw permit from OH or a non resident permit from a state like utah. from what i understand a utah ccw permit is cheaper to get, cheaper to renew, and less time consuming to get than an OH permit.

my question is are there any ccw classes offered near lexington that teach utah ccw? if so should i take it or should i just wait to take a ccw class in ohio?

thanks for your input!

langzaiguy

I take it you're paying out of state tuition? If you aren't, you may meet the residency requirements for a KY CCDW. Chances are though, since you're asking this question, you don't. Search this KY forum, there was a guy around here trying to sign people up for the UT license; I'm sure he'd appreciate some business.

hotrod

Why not get a Florida permit. I don't think they require a class. Also I thought Utah would accept a class from anyone they have a reciprocal agreement with. I could be wrong, but I would check it out

Last edited:

KYKevin

Those instructors are certified by the the Ky. Dept of Criminal Justice for instructing Ky. CC classes. Utah will not accept that as certification as a Utah CC Instructor. The instructor for a Utah CC license must be certified by the state of Utah.

Ky Instructors are taught the Ky. laws, specifically, and are supposed to teach only that in their classes. The law is different in Utah. Many Ky. instructors have no firearms training other than what they receive to teach the Ky. CC class. In my class to become an Ky. CC instructor there were three people who had never fired a gun before.

Misread that sorry. I thought you was looking for Kentucky instructors. You might find a better answer in the Utah forum than here. As far as instructors go. Most are trained for just their state from what I have seen. I am sure there are exceptions. Sorry I could not be of more help.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
. Search this KY forum, there was a guy around here trying to sign people up for the UT license; I'm sure he'd appreciate some business.

I think this may have been me. We posted here trying to see if there was interest in a Utah permit class in Ky. We are based in Richmond, Va. but I often travel around the country to teach the Utah permit.

OP - Its an 8 hour drive, but we offer a Utah permit class every month in Richmond. I have one this Sunday if you want to make the trip. The cost of the class is $85.

kyccdw

KY vs OH vs UT

Yes I know this is an old thread, but just found it and I had to post...

First, there is no reason to take a Utah class by a non resident in the state of Kentucky. Our class is recognized by at least Ohio and TN for reciprocity on the training, or as of today they still do. This would be a question to ask them first before you take the class.

I have people call and email me from Ohio all the time to come to the Lexington area and take the KY class when I teach them. The most recent drove here from Chilicothe, OH to take the KY CCDW class from me. From what I understand the Ohio class is longer, but they recognize ours for the training requirements, so the three hour drive each way was offset by not having to sit through a three day class!

Now saying this, there is only one difference with the certificate, and it depends on the address you give on your application to the DOCJT.

If you use your out of state address it will have "non resident" printed on the certificate, which disqualifies you for the KY permit. And you do not have to be a resident to take the course, you just can not apply for our permit.

If you give them your KY address then you will not have the "non resident" printed on the certificate, which will still be honored by OH. So you can take the KY class regardless, as long as you are legal to own a handgun by state and federal law, it should not be a problem.

Those instructors are certified by the the Ky. Dept of Criminal Justice for instructing Ky. CC classes. Utah will not accept that as certification as a Utah CC Instructor. The instructor for a Utah CC license must be certified by the state of Utah.

Secondly, as to Utah NOT accepting our training, you sir are smoking crack. I sent them a copy of the syllabus for the KY course in 2005 (the UTAH requirement in order to teach their course), when I was looking to teach the Utah course as well. They accepted it and said I could teach the class in KY, once I got a Utah permit. When I started doing some research, I decided to not teach the UTAH class at all. One of the factors that helped me decide to NOT teach and sell their permit at the time, was a web site that allowed you to take the class completely online. HOW can that even legal, or even a good idea? On the flip side, I wanted to teach a KY class while in Iraq in '05 and '06. The states response was that I could NOT teach a KY class outside of the Commonwealth, since they would have no jurisdiction to prosecute me for failure to provide proper training. A very real and expensive charge, since they do go after instructors all the time for failure to teach the course material in the state.

Ky Instructors are taught the Ky. laws, specifically, and are supposed to teach only that in their classes. The law is different in Utah.

We don't teach the laws, we show a 2 hour video that covers the laws. An Instructor is not allowed to discuss the laws in the class, if you were an instructor as you stated, you should/would know that. This is one rabbit hole that can get you in trouble quick with the state, if they find out.

In the long run, I decided there was no reason for me to teach a NON resident UTAH course, and I stick with just the KY CCDW class, as the basic handgun course I teach.

Since our permit has reciprocity with 36 states and territories, and counting, along with the fact that several surrounding states do currently recognize our training certificate for their residents to use for that states permit, I decided there was no reason to even offer one of the non resident permit classes. The KY class must be pretty good since they recognize the permit and allow their residents to use our training program without issues.

I also see no reason for a KY resident to get a UTAH or FL or PA or any other state's non resident permit due to the number of states that do recognize our permit.

I do agree about the lack of experience for instructors in the state, I have over 15 years military time along with combat serving in current and still classified contingency operations around the globe. It makes me chuckle when I see a new instructor post they took the instructor class recently so they could teach the class... With maybe 6-8 months under their belt of carrying a handgun, let alone the fact they have never used one in a defensive or offensive situation ever...