Thread: A funny thing happened while buying a leaf vacuum/blower at Ace in Watertown

A funny thing happened while buying a leaf vacuum/blower at Ace in Watertown

I spent a fair amount of time with a salesman buying the unit, setting it up, going over the operating procedure, etc.
    Got in the checkout line and a guy comes up behind me and says "Afraid of a bear attack?" I say, "I hope not, I have the wrong tool for that." The lady running the checkout then says, "What does a bear attack have to do with a leaf blower?" He says, "This guy is carrying a gun!" She immediately says "Everyone should carry a gun, there would be a lot less crime!" The guy leaves the checkout line and goes to another. The checkout lady and I had a good conversation about open carry and I left her with a card and a brochure. She said he husband was very interested and she would have him contact me.

I hardly have anyone even comment anymore around the Watertown/Johnson Creek area so I found the experience heart warming.

McX
    best news i heard all day. thanks for the sharing.

Banned
    Niiiiccccceeee!

How is a leaf blower going to protect you from bears?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    What kind of leaf blower was it? I want one for my bear problem.
    (side not excellent OC story)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by comp45acp View Post
    "What does a bear attack have to do with a leaf blower?"
    Ha that's great! Sounds like a pretty awesome day of carrying. Maybe we'll have 1 or 2 more open carriers soon
    Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Well, that is the whole thing. The guy was making the comment to me after seeing my 4" 1911 on my hip. She overhears it but had not yet seen the gun. So....she is wondering why is this guy making a comment about bears when this other guy is purchasing a leaf vac./blower. This might be one of those deals where you had to have been there to appreciate it.

I bought a Stihl SH56C. Great machine by the way.

I like that story!

Banned
    Good on you Brother. Thats how we do it... one person at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    It's complicated, ever since I bought my leaf blower my bear problem has evaporated.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix David View Post
    It's complicated, ever since I bought my leaf blower my bear problem has evaporated.
    Interesting. Would you have a rock that keeps lions away too?

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix David View Post
    I can take a lesson. Today I ordered a Toro Ultra Blower Vac from my Do It Right outlet. It should be waiting when I return from Utah late next month.

Oh, and I was sitting here at my computer desk with my trusty SA1911 in its SERPA on my belt - in the house, in my study.
    Last edited by Doug Huffman; 08-30-2010 at 09:38 PM.

bhancock
    Great story! I think we will be hearing more and more of these.

McX
    i was wondering; when you bought the leaf blower did you have to complete the paperwork, show i.d. and wait 3 days for pickup?

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    i was wondering; when you bought the leaf blower did you have to complete the paperwork, show i.d. and wait 3 days for pickup?
    I don't think they come in "compact" models, so the 48 hour wait period doesn't exist. You know, there are some states that don't have that stupid law (like IN ).

McX
    i bet a good holster is hard to find for that sucker, or blower- as the case may be heh-heh.

What a great story, carry on!

Well done, one more educated at no cost.