• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A funny thing happened while buying a leaf vacuum/blower at Ace in Watertown

comp45acp

I spent a fair amount of time with a salesman buying the unit, setting it up, going over the operating procedure, etc.
Got in the checkout line and a guy comes up behind me and says "Afraid of a bear attack?" I say, "I hope not, I have the wrong tool for that." The lady running the checkout then says, "What does a bear attack have to do with a leaf blower?" He says, "This guy is carrying a gun!" She immediately says "Everyone should carry a gun, there would be a lot less crime!" The guy leaves the checkout line and goes to another. The checkout lady and I had a good conversation about open carry and I left her with a card and a brochure. She said he husband was very interested and she would have him contact me.

I hardly have anyone even comment anymore around the Watertown/Johnson Creek area so I found the experience heart warming.

comp45acp

How is a leaf blower going to protect you from bears? :eek:

Well, that is the whole thing. The guy was making the comment to me after seeing my 4" 1911 on my hip. She overhears it but had not yet seen the gun. So....she is wondering why is this guy making a comment about bears when this other guy is purchasing a leaf vac./blower. This might be one of those deals where you had to have been there to appreciate it.

I bought a Stihl SH56C. Great machine by the way.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
It's complicated, ever since I bought my leaf blower my bear problem has evaporated.
I can take a lesson. Today I ordered a Toro Ultra Blower Vac from my Do It Right outlet. It should be waiting when I return from Utah late next month.

Oh, and I was sitting here at my computer desk with my trusty SA1911 in its SERPA on my belt - in the house, in my study.

Last edited:
B

bhancock

Great story! I think we will be hearing more and more of these.

M

McX

i was wondering; when you bought the leaf blower did you have to complete the paperwork, show i.d. and wait 3 days for pickup?

protias

i was wondering; when you bought the leaf blower did you have to complete the paperwork, show i.d. and wait 3 days for pickup?

I don't think they come in "compact" models, so the 48 hour wait period doesn't exist. You know, there are some states that don't have that stupid law (like IN :D).

M

McX

i bet a good holster is hard to find for that sucker, or blower- as the case may be heh-heh.