• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

False alarm

ayce2

2wks ago my nearest neighbor was robbed. He is about a mile away and the house is not visible from the road. He had his alarm disconnected becouse of the amount of false alarms he was getting. They got a lot of nice stuff and about 30k in fine guns.(if anyone gets a deal they can't believe send me a pm with numbers) Moving on ...last week at 4 am my intruder alarm goes off. I have never had a false alarm. Grabbed the old Remminton 12 ga that my wife, god bless her, just insisted rests next to our bed, went to the stairs called out and pumped it. You just got to love that sound. Long story short, it was a false alarm. I felt pretty good clearing and securing the house till I went to bed and starting thinking about the tactical mistakes I made. Reviewed with the wife the next day, her role ,my role; when to start dialing; lights. The next night at 2 we got to "practice" again. We did much better, but the fear factor was less because I was slready saying to myself another false alarm. Luckily for me it was another false alarm. All this to get to my point.. When was the last time you did the drill?

Spartacus

Banned
Beware of the "Peter cried wolf" syndrome. Someday the false alarm may not be.

Jeesh... are you going to be my next Dougi-bear?

Practice does indeed make perfect. Even though I live in a relatively crime-free area, I run through several scenarios every week myself along with shooting drills at the range and out at my acreage so that I hear the "boom" and feel the recoil.

I did whats called a 3-gun shoot a few weeks back and man was that fun. They guys at the range set up self-defense problems that had to be solved by shooting a combination of rifle, pistol and shotgun. Theres no way to describe how cool it is until you see it for yourself and better, participate.

B

bhancock

Exactly. A certain amount of tension is required to stay alert and at the ready! Run the drill for the sake of habit and troubleshooting tactical, but don't get lax, every situation should be treated as a real threat until PROVEN otherwise.

kawisixer01

Exactly, sometimes the false alarms are there on purpose. One old tactic of thiefs is to continually make an alarm system have "false" alarms. They continue to trigger it until someone gets tired of responding and resetting it and in frustration turns the system off thinking it's a problem with the system. Thus the thiefs no longer have to worry about the system and have free reign.

M

McX

we don't have a fancy alarm system at home, only one on the shop. but i would say practice responding to a false alarms better prepares one for when the real alarm comes. but i wonder how serious i would be taken, by an intruder, at 3 am, a standing there, in my undies, with smacky pointed at him.

*smacky is the 9mm makarov

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Everyone here treasures Robert Anson Heinlein.

One of his protagonists traveled naked for the heightened awareness it brought. IIRC the protagonist's weapon was taped in the middle of his back to prevent easy access and demanding that once he used it then he had to devote a hand to keeping it.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
i wonder how serious i would be taken, by an intruder, at 3 am, a standing there, in my undies, with smacky pointed at him.

*smacky is the 9mm makarov

Most people who have guns pointed at them tend to notice only one thing: the gun.

You could be in your wife's undies and they would probably notice only the gun.

Tunnel vision.

(p.s., if you WERE in your wife's undies, I sincerely HOPE that I wouldn't notice.)

xenophon

False alarms suck. Luckily I've had none. You'd have to BREAK a window or break a contact, to trigger an alarm. Not quite sure how a thief could trigger a false over and over short of doing one of the above.

Speaking of which....and not to thread jack, but I had a rock through the window about 2 weeks ago. I view that as a "test". It figures it's a huge window in the FRONT of the house, thus I never though someone would come that way.

Will have to get a sensor for that one (glass break, as it doesn't open)

Back to your thread, yes, it's always good to prepare and be ready. It's hard enough trying to react when you got this loud siren blaring in your ear.