• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Privacy

Captain Nemo

The thread about the Oshkosh gun show was closed today. For what reason I don't know. Except that the last post was by Spartacus. he got off track and started spouting off about alter egoes. and IP addresses. He said that John ( I presume the administrator) ran Doug's IP address and got hits under three forum ID's. Why is John divulging that kind of information to other members? That shoud be private information between the administrators. Besides IP addresses are not good evidence. For one, unless you have a private IP address assigned by your internet provider they are dynamic. Second: They are assigned to a computer not the author. I have two people that use my computer to input to forums and other web sites. Interrogation of their inputs would come back to my computer also. Not saying that is or not the case with Doug. Just pointing out the unreliability of using IP address as a tracking device. This disclosure by Spartacus also concerns me about the privacy of private messages. Does he have access to that information also?

M

McX

this is the internet comrade, bet i've been run 16 ways to Sunday. Such is life if you choose to come out here. But i come out here, ignore the bad, and keep smacky around, and embrace the good. that's the way it is- that is what i get.

J.Gleason

Banned
Until I see it in John's words in his own post then I will refrain from thinking he would divulge that information.

I do not support any effort to have Doug banned from this forum. He is a valued member and has contributed enormously to the cause. Even if some people don't like him.

I am sick of hearing about sock puppets. Let's get over it already.

M

McX

i can't find the thread, so i'll dump it here. the school zone problem, and someone said get them to give permits. Then i saw the bad seed fall; these school districts are strapped for cash- if they get wind of this we'll be buying the permits like playing cards. nah, they wouldn't realy do that to balance their budget? comments welcome. we wouldn't realy buy them? i mean, they already somewhere got us all snagged on out of whatever permits.

The Don

Permits

Actually, I was about to start a new thread with a permits question. If you want to import this over there once I do, it won't bother me at all.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Question to WTA

I have a question in to the Wisconsin Towns Association that they have not yet answered - and may not.
Does a political subdivision of Wisconsin have the authority to issue the license referred to in Wisconsin Statutes § 948.605(2)(b)2 (Crimes Against Children, Gun-free school zones, POSSESSION OF FIREARM IN SCHOOL ZONE, does not apply, locally licensed individual)?

If so will you please specify the chain of authorities. Has such a license ever been issued?

Thank you.

Doug Huffman
Washington Island
Wisconsin 54246

Captain Nemo

J. Gleason:

+1000 on your post. Especially concerning Doug. Some may think he is somewhat eccentric. Some may think he talks in riddles but I agree he has contributed enormously to the cause of open carry. His input is valued greatly by most of us. Many times he has jolted us back to reality.

Spartacuss:
I don't necessarily question John's honesty. I do question yours. As J. Gleason said I await comment from John. The more I read your posts and come to understand the hair trigger you have, especially as demonstrated in your recent PM to me, the more concerned I get about you even carrying a dangerous weapon. I will not take your bait from now on and indulge in non-productive bickering just to fuel your ego.

Last edited:

Spartacus

Banned
Spartacuss:
I don't necessarily question John's honesty. I do question yours. As J. Gleason said I await comment from John. The more I read your posts and come to understand the hair trigger you have, especially as demonstrated in your recent PM to me, the more concerned I get about you even carrying a dangerous weapon. I will not take your bait from now on and indulge in non-productive bickering just to fuel your ego.

lol you start a thread about PM privacy and then talk about my PM to you.

I don't like you and you don't like me... so what?

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I don't necessarily question John's honesty. I do question yours. As J. Gleason said I await comment from John.

I did find that Doug had more than one account by checking IP addresses and I pointed out to him that having such was against the rules and could subject a member to sanctions. I asked that he refrain from using multiple accounts in the future to avoid such sanctions.

Spartacus knew of this because he had PMed me his suspicions and when I found he was right, I PMed him back confirming. I did NOT give him the IP address or anything other than a confirmation that I found what he suspected.

There are no secrets here and I have no agenda other than trying to reduce the freaking dozens of reported posts I get every day from the various fighting factions! So long as he follows the rules of the forum, I will not be banning anyone.

And PS ... Anyone should feel free to question me on the forum. I have NEVER taken action against a member for questioning my actions so long as it is being asked in good faith.

John

M

McX

don't be bustin on my doug!

don't be bustin on my doug! and for damn sure don't kick him off the forum. he's an important member here, he brings forward the latest things to think and talk about, he digs and digs to get facts and truths, he can whip out a statute or quote in less than 60 seconds. he's my friend, and a trusted advisor to me. what he is to you is your business.

The Don

he's an important member here, he brings forward the latest things to think and talk about, he digs and digs to get facts and truths, he can whip out a statute or quote in less than 60 seconds.

what he is to you is your business.

I've only had a few interactions with Doug, so I don't know if I know him well enough to say he's a friend or not (that takes a while for me), but it certainly seems like he cares deeply about our Rights - not just the 2nd Amendment, but all of them. Anyway, I definitely agree with you, McX. Especially the parts quoted above.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
I am glad that friend is not easily used. I tried to teach my daughter that "a friend is someone you are better for knowing than not." Unfortunately she seems to only communicate via Facebook

where everybody is "friend" and life is beautiful all day long and we can be happy to see all those nice young people in their clean white socks. Haha hoho hee hee!

Last edited:

Spartacus

Banned
All I can say is that I'm glad to see that now your friends are real and all your imaginary friends here are gone Dougie.

I also enjoy Doug's presence believe it or not. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY is his equal at Googlemeistering or Wikipedi-izing.

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
visitors guide Washington Island

Washington Island is a unique destination. Island living is richer and more earthy than the hustle and bustle of lower Door County. It takes a special person to appreciate Doug the island’s resident.

Slight Edit