• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So, burningman and BLM are authorized to confiscate guns on BLM land?

chrsjhnsn

burningman lit says they will confiscate firearms brought into their art event on BLM land- I talked to someone in the know of their higher ups & it seems as if some DC bureaucrats & some anti do gooders in the burningman org simply did away with due process and invented some right to confiscate. They claim its a "city" ignoring NV preemption law and creating a mini Chicago, they also claim its a private event but its on BLM land so doesn't the COTUS hold some sway?

It must suck for the gun owners who have to sneak their guns in, they have to drive thousands of miles across a desert with no cell phone reception to even call the police if they're attacked. I know a few who simply sneak their guns in.

flagellum

I would defiantly not go to burning man (or anywhere in the middle of nowhere for that matter) without at least one gun!

If it is public land, they have no legal right to regulate firearms. If the land is private, they can only ask you to leave, or trespass you. I'd like them to be able to cite any law that says otherwise.

calmp9

burningman lit says they will confiscate firearms brought into their art event on BLM land- I talked to someone in the know of their higher ups & it seems as if some DC bureaucrats & some anti do gooders in the burningman org simply did away with due process and invented some right to confiscate. They claim its a "city" ignoring NV preemption law and creating a mini Chicago, they also claim its a private event but its on BLM land so doesn't the COTUS hold some sway?

It must suck for the gun owners who have to sneak their guns in, they have to drive thousands of miles across a desert with no cell phone reception to even call the police if they're attacked. I know a few who simply sneak their guns in.

Burning Man is just trouble waiting to happen. Most of those people will be drunk, stoned and whatever else. Not worth it!

jfrey123

Sad as I am to say it... I think the organizers have a right to restrict firearms. BLM land is one thing, but you're participating in their event, and event they run and are responsible for. I see no difference here between Burning Man and the concerts here in town that check everyone for weapons on the way in the door.

I do not agree with it, and it gives me one more reason to hate the hippies out there.

gunrunner1911

Direct from BLM Rangers on the Black Rock. They have no problem with guns in the NCA of the Black Rock Desert and even rec shooting with in the NCA which is sort of grey area. If the private event which has a permit from the BLM decides to exclude guns then at the their request they will assist in the removal of the person from the event. They had no interest in confiscation and had no law, simple posession, to base it upon even if the event wanted it.
This was not during BM but another event I attend about 4 time a year. I was told that if I actually discharged a firearm on the Playa there would be serious consequences due to the safety issues ie no backstop and you would be surprised just how far you CAN'T see out there. I had absolutely no problem with this rule and they suggested several places where rec shooting takes place.

Dangerfish

Why in the **** would you put yourself in a situation like that? Unless you are going to get ****** up, there is no reason to go to something like that. BM needs to be raided and shut down and its participants thrown in jail. I know exactly the type of people that go there. Its ******* stupid.

flagellum

Why in the **** would you put yourself in a situation like that? Unless you are going to get ****** up, there is no reason to go to something like that. BM needs to be raided and shut down and its participants thrown in jail. I know exactly the type of people that go there. Its ******* stupid.

:eek:

Thos.Jefferson

So people who are not harming anyone should be thrown in jail? Fan of TYRANNY much?

I

I_Have_a_Small_One

Hippies

They are all drunk and high there. Mostly dirty californians.

I

I_Have_a_Small_One

They charge $200 plus for a ticket and they pocket that money

You can't drive your car around unless you make it look like a tweaker mobile.
Plus BLM rangers are dicks.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
So what? They aren't hurting anyone, and the only reason you know about it is because other people told you it's happening.

And that's $200 per head that isn't being given to the Pelosi, Boxer or Reid campaigns, so we're better off.

Gordie

Would you rather they party for free in your neighborhood as opposed to out in the middle of nowhere for $200?

Buzzkill144

Just have to step in here. Burning Man was a long process starting around 1986 and officially started 1997. In all this time there hasn't been any incidents of Trouble. There have been accidents and one suicide. As for the statement that nothing but hippies go there well, I can tell you I have lot's of friends mostly professional types and one daughter who definitely are NOT hippies who have gone there for the experience. I admit a lot of goofiness goes on there but violence isn't one of them.

SoLasVegas

Just have to step in here. Burning Man was a long process starting around 1986 and officially started 1997. In all this time there hasn't been any incidents of Trouble. There have been accidents and one suicide. As for the statement that nothing but hippies go there well, I can tell you I have lot's of friends mostly professional types and one daughter who definitely are NOT hippies who have gone there for the experience. I admit a lot of goofiness goes on there but violence isn't one of them.

No trouble? Violent crime happens at BM every single year. It is just either unreported, or underreported. There are multiple instances of sexual assault and rape every single year. Personally, I don't think crime can get much more violent than rape. Please stop spreading the lie that nothing bad happens at BM. The only way to stop it from happening is to bring it out in the open and make people realize it is not a safe place.