• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC choice: Holster or Shoulder Rig

Deleted_User

I have only seen 1 person post they OC with a rig on occasion. I so prefer my Shoulder Rig over my Kydex Paddle Holster as I can carry my 2 extra mags and I love a thumb break. But, I really hav eonly used the rig for CC. I've never thought about OC with it. I'm looking for opinions and what people "think" about carrying their rig versus a simple holster. Is it just too much?

OT: I'm also looking for a dual mag holder to carry with my Kydex Holster (9mm 15 cap. mags) so I don't just have one in my pocket and one in the wife's purse.

EDIT: I see I may have added this to the wrong forum. Apologies. I'll do a tad more research in the future

Last edited:

Wolfebane

Greetings,

I OC with my shoulder rig Sonny Crockett style (which I only found out after I picked it out from Galco) Also the new movie sucks, it doesn't even exist in my opinion its Don Johnson or nothing, but I digress.

I'm a big guy so the belt holster is a bit uncomfortable but still doable, however I must say that the theory that I operate under is that a shoulder holster looks more "professional" instead of the "gun in the waistband" that most laymen would call a hip holster.

Also you can simply drop your hands to your sides and have them be as far away from your gun as they can be when talking to someone who is anti-gun or a bit skiddish.

amlevin

Holsters have different characteristics. IWB, OWB, Strong Side Draw, Cross Draw, Ankle, "Thunder Wear", and Shoulder hoslters all have their advantages and disadvantages.

I have two holsters that I carry my Sig P-229 in regularly. One is a SERPA and the other is a Galco shoulder holster. Mine was callied a Jackass Rig but it's for all practical purposes the same as the Miami Classic that was given lots of TV time on Miami Vice. The nice thing about a shoulder holster is it's real comfortable while driving a vehicle or sitting. Extremely easy to reach your weapon while seated and it doesn't "pinch" like many waist holsters can. I tend to wear the shoulder rig more when wearing winter clothing which in this climate is usually not much more than a chamois shirt over my regular golf shirt. I have the "tie downs" which can be fastened to your belt. Keeps the rig from swinging around as much when more active. Also, my shoulder rig is better for concealment as it doesn't reveal itself when I reach for my wallet. When Open Carrying I usually wear the shoulder rig when driving lots. The rest of the time the SERPA does the trick.

For those that are uneasy about having the muzzle in view of anyone behind you, just put some duck tape over the end of the holster. For those that are paranoid about a muzzle facing backward there are also "vertical carry" models available. I carried in a Cobra Gun Skin for years (think Dirty Harry style) and it too was comfortable.

heresolong

I find shoulder holsters to be more attention getting. Most people don't even notice that you have a gun on your hip but it is hard not to notice the leather straps running across your back and chest. So I always OC with a paddle holster and save the shoulder rig for when I want more concealment.