• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry/Transport of Handgun under the age of 21

btm757

Im currently 20 years old, I have a hunting rifle but that doesnt really do me any good as far as protecting myself while out and about, I only have 6 months left till im 21 so then it wouldnt be a problem but What are the laws exactly on carrying a handgun openly under the age of 21 in VA?... I am well aware I can not purchase one or ammunition for that matter however I have a friend who is willing to "Gift" me one in exchange for a Monetary "gift"

Also I will post this part in the NC section as well but I have a buddy down in Williamston that has property that I could shoot on but would I be able to Transport the Handgun Legally into N. Carolina under 21

curtiswr

You can buy one legally in a private sale, like from your buddy, if you are above 18. Just don't have him run to the FFL with your money and buy your gun for you, because that'd be a straw purchase.

In Virginia if you can legally possess a handgun, you can legally open carry it. Being above 18 you can legally possess it (see above) and therefore legally openly carry it, without a permit.

Here is another thread going on right now with lots of good information and advice that covers what you are asking:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ing-getting-a-gun-carrying-a-gun-age-to-carry...

lil_freak_66

You can buy one legally in a private sale, like from your buddy, if you are above 18. Just don't have him run to the FFL with your money and buy your gun for you, because that'd be a straw purchase.

In Virginia if you can legally possess a handgun, you can legally open carry it. Being above 18 you can legally possess it (see above) and therefore legally openly carry it, without a permit.

Here is another thread going on right now with lots of good information and advice that covers what you are asking:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ing-getting-a-gun-carrying-a-gun-age-to-carry...

I do not think that it is a straw purchase,as the person whom would be having somebody buy the handgun is not prohibited from purchasing firearms legally,merely prohibited from buying from an FFL is not being prohibited from buying firearms.

wasnt something similar why the 21+ age was set originally?so that a parent could take they're child into an FFL once they are of age and buy them they're first handgun.

darthmord

I do not think that it is a straw purchase,as the person whom would be having somebody buy the handgun is not prohibited from purchasing firearms legally,merely prohibited from buying from an FFL is not being prohibited from buying firearms.

wasnt something similar why the 21+ age was set originally?so that a parent could take they're child into an FFL once they are of age and buy them they're first handgun.

Unfortunately it is. What you are describing is giving me the money to buy a gun (for you) from the FFL because the FFL is prohibited by law from selling it to you.

That said, if I were to go to a FFL and buy a handgun for my daughter when she turned 18, that would not be. Why? It's my money (not hers. She didn't give me the money to buy it for her). It's a gift. As such I'm not receiving money in return for it. Thirdly, it's intended for a 3rd party who just happens to be a non-prohibited person and is my daughter.

The whole straw purchase thing is ostensibly to prevent prohibited people from obtaining a firearm from a FFL through a non-prohibited third party (which would thereby bypass a 'safeguard' provision of law).

t33j

As others have said, 18 is the minimum age for possessing a handgun and purchasing one in a private sale. 21 is a federal age requirement on federally licensed firearm dealer sales. North Carolina does not have preemption like VA from what others tell me, so you'd have to check county/city ordinances of all the places you intend to visit or travel through.

Lemme know if you wanna go shooting in/around Norfolk. I've got some guns you can try out if you're in the market for buying one.

Last edited:

TFred

The ATF says that purchasing a gun from an FFL, using someone else's money, in order to provide that person with the gun that you bought is a straw purchase. Period. It does not matter if that someone else is Charles Manson or Barack Obama.
And in a country that is not SUPPOSED to have nationwide gun registration, that is a part of the law that is clearly out of bounds.

If the purpose of the law is to keep prohibited persons from buying guns, what possible legitimate purpose could there be to prevent straw purchases among non-prohibited persons?

TFred