Thread: VA Resident Under 21 Transporting handgun into Carolina?

VA Resident Under 21 Transporting handgun into Carolina?

This is the second part of my question I posted in the Virginia section.

Im 20 years old and I have a buddy down in Williamston that has some land available that I can shoot on.

Here is my question Would it be legal for me to transport the handgun into carolina under the age of 21? Would I have to take the gun apart or anything to take it into NC

Also, does N. Carolina allow open carry for persons under the age of 21?

As long as you can legally possess the gun, you can carry it openly.

You wouldn't have any problems transporting or anything so long as it isn't concealed or you aren't breaking other laws.

Regarding legal possession and OC, your age should not be a problem.

IANAL

I sometimes get nervous answering these kind of questions. Yes based on your very simple question you are legal to carry the gun loaded on your hip if you want.

But what makes me nervous is if you are asking this question I am concerned about what else you may not know. Over years of carrying and researching I have a pretty good grasp of our firearm related laws and that's a big comfort to me when I go out.

You have to be fully prepared to deal with LEO's that might not know the law that well. In my observations a lot of cops seem to think the carry and possess age for handguns is 21. Which it is not. But you need to be able to do more than quote "some guy on a forum said" if the issue ever comes up.

Does N. Carolina have a office similar to VA's commonwealths attorneys office where I can call and get the specifics of the Law so i can write down the state code to use as a reference if I ever get hassled?