• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Resident Under 21 Transporting handgun into Carolina?

btm757

This is the second part of my question I posted in the Virginia section.

Im 20 years old and I have a buddy down in Williamston that has some land available that I can shoot on.

Here is my question Would it be legal for me to transport the handgun into carolina under the age of 21? Would I have to take the gun apart or anything to take it into NC

Also, does N. Carolina allow open carry for persons under the age of 21?

mekender

As long as you can legally possess the gun, you can carry it openly.

You wouldn't have any problems transporting or anything so long as it isn't concealed or you aren't breaking other laws.

Smith45acp

I sometimes get nervous answering these kind of questions. Yes based on your very simple question you are legal to carry the gun loaded on your hip if you want.

But what makes me nervous is if you are asking this question I am concerned about what else you may not know. Over years of carrying and researching I have a pretty good grasp of our firearm related laws and that's a big comfort to me when I go out.

You have to be fully prepared to deal with LEO's that might not know the law that well. In my observations a lot of cops seem to think the carry and possess age for handguns is 21. Which it is not. But you need to be able to do more than quote "some guy on a forum said" if the issue ever comes up.

btm757

Does N. Carolina have a office similar to VA's commonwealths attorneys office where I can call and get the specifics of the Law so i can write down the state code to use as a reference if I ever get hassled?