• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

And some say Esther Short Park is safe.....

joejoejoe

Anyone see this? I bet OC would have prevented it.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/101934713.html

VANCOUVER, Wash. – A bizarre attack sent a Vancouver woman to the hospital on Monday and police said they believe her attacker threw some kind of acid in her face.

Bethany Storro had no idea who the woman was who attacked her and no idea why someone picked her for an attack.

Storro, 28, doesn’t usually wear sunglasses but she bought a pair about an hour before the attack. Those glasses may have saved her eyesight.

She had stopped to get a coffee at a Starbucks near Esther Short Park at 8th and Columbia and was getting something out of her car when a woman came up and asked her if she wanted a drink.

Storro decline and that’s when she was hit with a cup of some sort of acid, burning her face and clothes.

Her family says she’s stable and is keeping a positive attitude. They say they are trying to make some sense of what happened.

“Who wakes up in the morning and says, ‘I’m going to go and burn somebody’s face with acid?’” said Storro’s mother, Nancy Neuwelt. “It’s
pretty bizarre. I don’t know what kind of a person - obviously, there’s something wrong. But we’re going to do what we need to do.”

Police don’t have any suspects.

The incident happened just after 7 p.m. Monday night, and police are hoping someone who was in the area at the time may remember seeing what happened and call them with a tip.

Storro is recovering at the burn center at Legacy Emanuel Hospital.

Joe~

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Lol.. No I mean, do you think the lady who threw the acid would have chosen someone who was OCing?

Joe~

She didn't choose an OCer, she choose someone weak.
Joe is referring to comments in the Columbian after he testiied. Some readers thought that crime never happens at Esther Short park.

Last edited:

joejoejoe

Exactly gogo! My wife pointed this story out to me. It happened right after the park closed. You know, when the women and children leave and the police aren't there in numbers... I'm glad we got that sign fixed!

Joe~

devildoc5

you won't see WA Ceasefire or Anti violence league trying to ban acid anytime in the near future. Although come to think of it perhaps we should just ban EVERYTHING that is harmful: Kitchen knifes, battery acid, narcotics, pens, pencils, razor blades, batons, socks (can fill them with BB's), canes, crutches, cars, trains, buses, bicycles, motorcycles, hockey sticks, cleats, cigarettes, paint, paint thinner, power tools.....

Metalhead47

you won't see WA Ceasefire or Anti violence league trying to ban acid anytime in the near future. Although come to think of it perhaps we should just ban EVERYTHING that is harmful: Kitchen knifes, battery acid, narcotics, pens, pencils, razor blades, batons, socks (can fill them with BB's), canes, crutches, cars, trains, buses, bicycles, motorcycles, hockey sticks, cleats, cigarettes, paint, paint thinner, power tools.....

In case you havn't noticed, they are trying to ban those :banghead:

Personally, I don't think they'll bother trying to ban acid as long as they're still ON it :dude:

k.rollin

Actually, there are several things on your list that are already illegal/banned. Therefore, there is no reason to lobby against their possession or use. Specific examples include non prescribed/non medicinal narcotics, slung shots (sock with BBs is an example), and possibly batons.