• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AB-1934 Passes 21-16 Ban on Unloaded Open Carry. FAILS to be taken up in Assembly

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
The legislature has now managed to silence California's fastest growing minority by banning unloaded open carry.

There is good news however.

1) These legislators have managed to redefine what is concealed, vitually painting themselves into a corner with words. By eliminating the definition of what is not considered concealed, they now must deal with the fact that guns that are only partially concealed are now as good as fully concealed. With a 12050 license to carry concealed a firearm in a belt holster that is partially concealed by the holster will be the same as fully concealed. The difference is, with a 'CCW' the guns can be loaded. Next to a school.

2) This legilsation deals with unloaded weapons.

3) This legislation deals with concealable weapons.

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

Prior to this bill long gun open carry was legal. After this bill, is long gun unloaded open carry still legal ?

AyatollahGondola

The legislature has now managed to silence California's fastest growing minority by banning unloaded open carry.

There is good news however.

1) These legislators have managed to redefine what is concealed, vitually painting themselves into a corner with words. By eliminating the definition of what is not considered concealed, they now must deal with the fact that guns that are only partially concealed are now as good as fully concealed. With a 12050 license to carry concealed a firearm in a belt holster that is partially concealed by the holster will be the same as fully concealed. The difference is, with a 'CCW' the guns can be loaded. Next to a school.

2) This legilsation deals with unloaded weapons.

3) This legislation deals with concealable weapons.

That's good news? This legislative body is way out of control. With law enforcement still unwilling to issue CC, and having to hide our weapons from the public, we are effectively losing any public advertisement of guns. Now "see a gun" virtually means illegality. They've effectively poisoned the sight of guns

Ca Patriot

From what I understand, when and if Sykes is ruled in our favor, then due to the language of the new bill, we in CA with CCW's will be allowed to carry concealed loaded and ALSO loaded open carry.
So basically we have traded no CCW's and unloaded open carry for SHALL issue CCW'S and loaded open carry.
This is a victory for CA and gun rights. (provided we get a victory in Sykes)

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
So basically we have traded no CCW's and unloaded open carry for SHALL issue CCW'S and loaded open carry.

Back when Nordyke had been ruled upon and the 2nd amendment was incorporated in the ninth circuit, we had a right to open carry, albeit unloaded. That didn't last very long though because Nordyke went en banc and then was delayed awaiting McDonald. The McDonald decision finally came and once again we had the right to open carry again, although still unloaded. Today we lost that right once again thanks to the traitors who somehow think the right to keep and bear arms is about something entirely different.

I won't be signing up for a license to publish a blog, I won't be signing up for a license to practice any religion I choose to, I won't be signing up for a license to assemble, and I sure as hell won't be signing up for a license to bear arms.

Ca Patriot

Back when Nordyke had been ruled upon and the 2nd amendment was incorporated in the ninth circuit, we had a right to open carry, albeit unloaded. That didn't last very long though because Nordyke went en banc and then was delayed awaiting McDonald. The McDonald decision finally came and once again we had the right to open carry again, although still unloaded. Today we lost that right once again thanks to the traitors who somehow think the right to keep and bear arms is about something entirely different.

I won't be signing up for a license to publish a blog, I won't be signing up for a license to practice any religion I choose to, I won't be signing up for a license to assemble, and I sure as hell won't be signing up for a license to bear arms.

I agree with your principal. However, in America there is no constitutional right that, when applied, is considered perfect. Therefore, I think we must content ourselves with the best possible outcome.

In this case, despite the passage of the bill, I think we are going to get a far better net gain if Sykes is passed.

Ideally I would like the right to unloaded open carry, loaded open carry and CCW.

But living in the real world where life and law isnt perfect, I will be content and happy with CCW as a trade off for unloaded open carry.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Prior to this bill long gun open carry was legal. After this bill, is long gun unloaded open carry still legal ?

Long gun open carry will still be legal in all the same places.

That's good news? This legislative body is way out of control. With law enforcement still unwilling to issue CC, and having to hide our weapons from the public, we are effectively losing any public advertisement of guns. Now "see a gun" virtually means illegality. They've effectively poisoned the sight of guns

I neglected to be completely clear- The passage of this bill will make loaded open carry legal with a license. Current cases are poised to dramatically change the landscape of issuance of licenses to carry.

Maybe the governor will veto it. How long does he have to veto it? September 31?

The Governor has 12 days to sign, veto or do nothing- which would enact the law without his signature.

donny

Some of you folks seem confused about how the process works. What makes you think the bill passed at this point?

donny

As I said some of you seem to be confused as to how the process works...

Fetus

From what I understand, when and if Sykes is ruled in our favor, then due to the language of the new bill, we in CA with CCW's will be allowed to carry concealed loaded and ALSO loaded open carry.
This is a victory for CA and gun rights. (provided we get a victory in Sykes)

Wait, -- California is now shall-issue ???

Last edited:

Wc

AB 1934 only "passed temporarily" and as such I don't think it made it out of the Assembly.

Waiting for further news from State.

Last edited:

Wc

AB 1934 is sending it back to the Assembly for concurrence.

Jason Kobely Last updated 41 mins ago Posted: 9/1/2010

Snip...

Senate approves open-carry gun ban

The state Senate has passed a bill that would make it illegal to carry unloaded guns in public.

The Senate narrowly approved the measure Tuesday on a 21-16 vote on the last day of the regular session, sending it back to the Assembly for concurrence.

The bill, AB1934, would make it a misdemeanor to openly carry a handgun in a public place. Current California law permits carrying a rifle or a handgun in a holster if it is not loaded.

Democratic Assemblywoman Lori Saldana of San Diego sought the bill after gun-rights groups held a series of demonstrations openly carrying unloaded weapons.

Lawmakers did not act on a second bill, AB1810, that would have required owners of rifles and shotguns to register their weapons.
The bill fell short during an initial vote Monday.

http://www.news10.net/news/story.aspx?storyid=93291&catid=2

Last edited: