• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

7 guns,, 6 of them dont work? true story....

1245A Defender

i have 8 hand guns, and i went to a private shoot at a friends place..
this gun doesnt count, its a star modelo super, 9mm largo, it has never misbehaved, it stayed at home.,

#1 my brand new FNP45, it worked perfectly, for everybody, every time, it is very nice!!!
i just got my 120 luman light and laser,,, i need to talk to my holster guy!!
002.jpg

#2 the other star modelo super, hammer feels funny, many fails to fire, most go on second try..
took apart the trigger works and found the main spring clevis was backward, retarding the hammer strike.. feels better now,, we will see....

#3 tanfoglio GT380, had this for 30 years, never done wrong, shot it several times, all normal. them the trigger is locked, hammer back, nothing moves..
stripped it down, found witness marks on the back of the main spring clevis where the hammer is trying to push it forward out of its notch..it seems this has been going on for 30 years, just finally made it..
a little bench grinding to relieve the offending steel, and it seems to be ready for a test..

#4 grendel P12, DAO.. had this for 20 years, never failed.. this time it wouldnt fire..
trigger was letting go when the hammer was only half cocked, not enough whoomph to set it off..
an evening of dremmiling on the cocking area of the hammer, and the camming area of the sear, got a 12 pound pull now, and almost 100% hammer cocking. we will see...

#5 walther P38/1, made since 1957, alloy frame, failed to feed the 1st round,
most guns dont like SLOW feed. a slow RACK will often cause this problem,, dont do that
MY BAD!!

#6 this is the good one, deros72 said all my guns flew apart,, he was using poetic license...
my shower gun is a 25acp, it is the quintessential saturday night special.
i shot once, then again, and parts flew down range (such as it is, more like across the drive way) , front of the slide and the recoil spring.
now this gun is broken... but i could still shoot it.
the rear of the slide is intact, i can load it, and rack it, and hold the slide forward and down and pull the trigger, then rack it again and shoot again, etc...
im a dedicated machinist!! i have plans, and my ideas!
i fully intend to resurrect and restore this broken gun to its former glory,,..
MARK MY WORDS!!!

#7 tec22, machine pistol, failed to fire, it has always been temperamental.
problems with the width of the firing pin, and the contour of the breach face.
i have milled the breach face, and ground the firing pin to make it wider.
we will be seeing..

Last edited:

Squeak

HEH,HEH! C'mon over and we'll;
1. Check out the holster situation
2. Test fire any hand guns that are in question.YOU fire the first round!
Of course we will get the approval of the holster guy first. You know him?:uhoh:

69Charger

How do you hold your tongue?
Try sticking it straight out as fer as ya can, right at the target, then squeeze the trigger.
Works for me. :)

Dave

amlevin

All those guns with all those problems. Are you cursed? Or is it just the choice of guns?

Sounds like when all is said and done you will be adding "gunsmith" to your resume' along with "machinist".

As long as you have a good defensive weapon, it is kind of fun to have something to work on in your spare time.

Trigger Dr

we will be seeing..

How do you grind something to make it WIDER ???

sudden valley gunner

"I cut this board three times and it's still too short!"

MD

In construction we always send folks to get the board stretcher, you'd be surprised at how many folks actually fall for this. One guy went to 4 different hardware/lumber stores looking for it....didn't help that the guys at the lumber stores said to check the next store out they might have it because they were out of stock.

Defender if wan't to give out any broken guns I'm more than willing to take them of your hands......:lol:

G20-IWB24/7

So, lemme get this right....

your PLASTIC gun was the only one that worked 100%, right?!

Now you know why so many of us like 'em!

-G20

1245A Defender

you just reverse the polarity, run the grinder backwards..

we will be seeing..

How do you grind something to make it WIDER ???

this firing pin is .090" thick, the contact end is tapered, and very thin,
when i grind some of the tapered length away, it gets wider.
now i need to make up for that shortness by shortening the bolt.

1245A Defender

plastic wont MAKE a gun good

So, lemme get this right....

your PLASTIC gun was the only one that worked 100%, right?!

Now you know why so many of us like 'em!

-G20

the grendel #4 is plastic too.
ive never joined in on the steel V plastic debate.
glock V 1911 V XD V highpoint V sig, buy what you like, test them, tell us how they did.
the gun that worked 100% is brand new, the highest quality, and most expensive gun ive ever had!