• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coffee with the Chief

HYRYSC

Heard about this on the news this morning. According to the news, the new Chief Of Police of Springfield will be having coffee at various shops around Springfield for the next few days and I was wondering if anyone was planning on joining him?

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Why do I see OC coming into play with this?

I hadn't heard anything like this. Not sure I'm open to the idea being he's not a local. I'd hate to show up carrying and hear some ramble about Missouri Statutes when most of us know more about those than he will.

Likely he's trying to get in touch with the community. Not a bad thing at all. Think we could get him to pop out to SOF-USA's range to shoot with us sometime? I know some supervisors that could put the bug in his ear to see.

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/Sprin...-4-coffee-meetings-with-public-101505749.html

I do not recall any of these being firearm friendly locations.
Sept. 1 - Big Momma's, 217 E. Commercial St.
Sept. 15 - Anton's, 937 S. Glenstone Ave.
Sept. 29 - Gailey's, 220 W. Walnut St.
Oct. 6 - Dancing Mule Coffee Co., 1945 S. Glenstone Ave.

Last edited:

Superlite27

Why do I see OC coming into play with this?

I hadn't heard anything like this. Not sure I'm open to the idea being he's not a local. I'd hate to show up carrying and hear some ramble about Missouri Statutes when most of us know more about those than he will.

Yeah. I always make sure that people in the places I go are from Missouri. Who wants to carry around those foreigners? Why.....if you carried around folks from other places you'd find yourself (gasp!) having to educate them on how openly carrying in Missouri is a PERFECTLY LEGAL ACTIVITY! I mean, come on! Who here really wants to make Open Carry more acceptable to the general public? Why, it's almost as if we're on a forum advocating the open carrying of firearms or something.

I do not recall any of these being firearm friendly locations.
Sept. 1 - Big Momma's, 217 E. Commercial St.
Sept. 15 - Anton's, 937 S. Glenstone Ave.
Sept. 29 - Gailey's, 220 W. Walnut St.
Oct. 6 - Dancing Mule Coffee Co., 1945 S. Glenstone Ave.

Intuition tells me your definition of "firearm friendly location" is a little different than mine. When designating places "firearm friendly", it is well to apply a thing called a "standard" so that everyone can use the same objective process insted of a subjective one.

The general standard is: In localities without open carry ordinances, places without a sign prohibiting firearms are "firearm friendly" and places with a sign prohibiting firearms are not "firearm friendly". Since many places that are not firearm friendly have not labeled themselves thus, it is entierely possible to enter a firearm unfriendly location that has not been labeled correctly. The general method to determine this mislabelling error is to enter the location. If you are not asked to leave, the location is correctly labelled.

Have you noticed any signs on the above locations? If not they are "firearm friendly" until determined otherwise.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to have to take a leave of absence from this joint, I have now even influenced super into being rude!

Get back on that high road super, your realllllly good at it and we need advocates such as yourself, let us grumpy old farts shovel it!!!

FYI none of them are on the boycott list on Missouricarry so they have either gone unreported, have no sign, or are gun friendly. There is only one way to know, drop by and see.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Yeah. I always make sure that people in the places I go are from Missouri. Who wants to carry around those foreigners? Why.....if you carried around folks from other places you'd find yourself (gasp!) having to educate them on how openly carrying in Missouri is a PERFECTLY LEGAL ACTIVITY! I mean, come on! Who here really wants to make Open Carry more acceptable to the general public? Why, it's almost as if we're on a forum advocating the open carrying of firearms or something.

Intuition tells me your definition of "firearm friendly location" is a little different than mine. When designating places "firearm friendly", it is well to apply a thing called a "standard" so that everyone can use the same objective process insted of a subjective one.

The general standard is: In localities without open carry ordinances, places without a sign prohibiting firearms are "firearm friendly" and places with a sign prohibiting firearms are not "firearm friendly". Since many places that are not firearm friendly have not labeled themselves thus, it is entierely possible to enter a firearm unfriendly location that has not been labeled correctly. The general method to determine this mislabelling error is to enter the location. If you are not asked to leave, the location is correctly labelled.

Have you noticed any signs on the above locations? If not they are "firearm friendly" until determined otherwise.

So you're telling us that for an establishment to not be firearm friendly they must have a sign up? (and I do see the until determined otherwise) You'd be so wrong. They can refuse service to ANYONE. Walk in with a firearm, concealed or OC, and they can refuse service to you as well as ask you to leave. Refuse or fail to do so and you're trespassing.

I agree with you to a point, but public awareness isn't what's needed with OC. What's needed is the education of the public and our LEOs on the issue of OC. It should be the responsibility of the LEO community to do just that, not us as carrying individuals.

What should interest folks here is the specific locations that were chosen. Look specifically at where they are located and note that NONE of them have openly stated they are "firearm friendly" and not a single one is a Starbucks, which is admittedly firearm friendly.

I am going to have to take a leave of absence from this joint, I have now even influenced super into being rude!

Get back on that high road super, your realllllly good at it and we need advocates such as yourself, let us grumpy old farts shovel it!!!

FYI none of them are on the boycott list on Missouricarry so they have either gone unreported, have no sign, or are gun friendly. There is only one way to know, drop by and see.

Let him be rude. He's bringing a logical argument to the table and those are more than welcome. And just because they're not on the boycott list doesn't make them "firearm friendly" either. That would be like saying the UCR from the FBI covers ALL crimes when we know it only covers those that have been officially reported to LEOs.

Big Momma's isn't very far from one of the worst parts of Springfield and the C-Street renovation is a mask to hide that issue.
Anton's is a long-standing establishment in Springfield. It used to be an old-timer's type place, I haven't been in there since I moved from that side of town.

Not sure about the other two, haven't been in those, so I may have to investigate.

Last edited:

goalseter88

superlite does say if there no sign then its firearm freindly untill determined otherwise.

i think the part your talking about that a store owner can ask you to leave would make it not gun freindly, would be covered under his "untill determined otherwise" b/c if they dont have a sign you have nothing to go on till you go in and see if he kicks you out. so i feel like thats what he is referencing in that. i really dont think he meant he going to go in and not leave if there no sign and the manager asks him to leave.

peterarthur

There is a boycott list? How do businesses get on that? I have a nominee.