• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting your state - need input!

gravedigger

I know this is not "OC" related, but I am looking for input from my 2nd amendment friends on another matter!

We are once again approaching the start of another visit to Kentucky and Tennessee. We will fly into BNA Nashville on Sept. 8th, and tour the states for two weeks. We're going farther east this time up to Elizabethtown, over to Lexington (via Indianapolis to visit an uncle, returning through Cincinnati) then down to Knoxville, TN and across to Nashville again.

Any suggestions for where to spend more time?

We're not there as tourists. we are looking for a place to settle, to purchase two homes and to start a business.

On our last visit, we were based in Bowling Green, and did "clover leaf" loops west, north and east, to the neighboring communities, returning to Bowling Green each night. This time we're going to "wing it" and find hotel rooms each day along the route.

We sort of liked Franklin, KY. Now we want to check out more of the two states, and really check out Tennessee!

Is there any place we should AVOID? I don't want to drive into some ghetto while running out of gas!

I'll check back often!

HvyMtl

Ok. Nashville, Middle Tennessee, and parts of the rim towards Cookeville, TN had major flooding (500 year level event) in May and August. When looking at homes make sure they were not impacted by the flooding in any manner (ie. actual damage, blocked roads into the area, etc.) As a Nashvillian, I suggest the suburb areas around the city. City proper has issues, though, if you like condo living, they overbuilt downtown, so you can get great deals... Places to look - Centered loosely around Nashville: (starting South, and going counter clockwise around Nashville, roughly) Brentwood (expensive), Franklin (expensive), Crossroads (between Nashville, Nolensville, Brentwood, and Antioch), Nolensville, Smyrna, Mt. Juliet, Hendersonville, Goodlettsville, Greenbrier, Joelton, Hermitage, and Ashland City. I recommend these areas due to you liking Franklin, KY. Further areas out which are good towns: Lebanon, Dickson, and Murfreesboro.

Areas of Nashville to avoid: Anywhere around the Titan's LP Field side of Downtown, except Germantown area. Go to that area in day light. Jefferson Street, up to the Fisk Area/ Tennessee State University areas. Daylight only. Charlotte Ave Close to the interstate loop downtown.

Tourist areas I recommend: Go to the Hermitage, President Andrew Jackson's home, Broadway, downtown Nashville, to go to the Country/Western bars, Fort Negley - the largest stone built Civil War Fort not on an ocean shore, Carter House-Franklin, TN - Battle of Franklin Civil War, Country Music Hall of Fame- Nashville, any of our state Parks in the area - Long Hunter - Cedars of Lebanon, visit our lakes Old Hickory lake and J Percy Priest Lake. NOTE: There will be signs at the state parks prohibiting firearms, due to the recent change in law, they no longer apply to Permit Holders.

What areas you want to stay hotel wise? I may know of a few places.

Personally, I hate Cincinnati, as I had to visit due to work. Much of downtown Cincinnati is crime ridden. IF you have to stay there stay on the Kentucky Side of the River. I suggest the Airport/Turfway area - I stay at the Red Roof there. More Holiday Inn level than Red Roof.

Homes here are less expensive than in other areas - around $200k will get you a good sized 3 bedroom 2 bath home in a safe neighborhood. More in towns further out. Murfreesboro is booming, as is Mt Juliet. Most towns in the area are growing.

What type of business you want to start?

http://www.homes.com/ just put in the town name or zip code to find homes.

Last edited:

gravedigger

A business? I'm not sure yet. I can do many things. I have thought about setting up a shop and jumping into a few things. I have some ideas for a different design for a safe. I am a former certified welder/fabricator, with L.A. Earthquake standards endorsements!

I have ideas for products I'd like to develop and sell on the Net, and many other trhings I could get into. I just have to settle on one. Wha does Tennessee really NEED?

HvyMtl

What does TN Need? Sadly, more job development. The type of welding you know points to construction, a tough industry here, as we have the illegals issue found rampant in Cali.

Hmm. If you could, how about some specifics as to what you want to spend, what type of place you want to live (in the city, suburbs, mini-farm, boonies, incorporate business into your home, etc.) and how far/close you want to be to downtown?

You will find there are a lot of areas which are very nice.

Like mad4rcn states, Chattanooga area (Etowah (a bit further out closer to the Chattahoochie National Park) Ooltewah, and the areas surrounding) might be a good idea as well, since the mega-city Atlanta is not far away.

Last edited: