• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about law enforcement gun training

MKEgal

If you're an officer, or were one, or are married to one, that sort of thing, I'd like to ask a question:

How many hours of newbie-cop classroom (& supervised range) training are spent specifically on guns - safety, handling, learning to shoot & when not to? Not annual qualification, though that's interesting too, but how many hours between Jane-off-the-street and being "an officer qualified to carry a gun" in the eyes of the antis?

I've run into an anti who thinks that only "trained" people (he cites police & security guards) should be allowed to carry guns in public.

I'd like to be able to tell him how much/little actual gun-related training police have. (Compared, of course, to what I've had so far.) Yes, I realize it varies from location to location.

Being able to post documents (syllabus?) would be a big help, but not necessary.

I've put this over on ICarry, too.

Last edited:

eye95

The question of who is more trained is irrelevant to the Right. We have that Right, whether we train or not.

That being said, folks should train to become proficient in the use of the firearms that they carry.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
It varies with the department, there is not a general standard. There are certification agencies that may have standards. The department that I trained with certified at about the same time. I'll see what I can find.

I found no clear statement of firearms training SOP.

Here is the Commissison on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies website that accredited MPPD
http://www.calea.org/
and here is its Wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_on_Accreditation_for_Law_Enforcement_Agencies

Last edited:

CrossFire

The question of who is more trained is irrelevant to the Right. We have that Right, whether we train or not.

That being said, folks should train to become proficient in the use of the firearms that they carry.

Exactly. Even though my father started teaching me to shoot when I was seven years old, I am quite a bit older now, I still practice with the guns I used to have before the tragic boating accident. Most of the I used to have I inherited when my father passed away in 2000, mostly rifles and shotguns with just one 38 cal revolver that is a POS and will never have a round go thru it. My father never seemed to have much interest in handguns. The handguns I had before the accident I purchased and I go to my gun club range once a week. I practice with my carry gun each time and one or more of the others just to stay fit.

Also, I started teaching my grandaughter to shoot when she was 13, she is 16 now and quite good. She goes with to the range with me almost everytime.

Training and practice are great but our right to be armed does not and should never hinge on if we have any.

ODA 226

If you're an officer, or were one, or are married to one, that sort of thing, I'd like to ask a question:

How many hours of training are spent specifically on guns - safety, handling, learning to shoot & when not to?

I've run into an anti who thinks that only "trained" people (he cites police & security guards) should be allowed to carry guns in public.

I'd like to be able to tell him how much/little actual gun-related training police have. (Compared, of course, to what I've had so far.)

Being able to post documents (syllabus?) would be a big help, but not necessary.

I've put this over on ICarry too.

When I went through the academy, we had less than 4 hours classroom and less than 8 hours at the range and fired 100 rounds for practice and 50 for qualification.

daddy4count

IANALEO, but to my knowledge there are NO training/safety/proficiency requirements as long as you can meet your Firearms Proficiency standard each year. In other words, show you still know how to shoot it and you're done.

That being said, most LEO's I know spend quite a bit of time at the range on their own.

ElW75

When I went through the academy, we had less than 4 hours classroom and less than 8 hours at the range and fired 100 rounds for practice and 50 for qualification.

Wow, when I qualified a few years ago before heading to a non-combat role in overseas (as a Civ), I had 12 hours on the range (approx 800 rounds) before my qual just to be issued a weapon that I had to carry empty around Camp Cupcake.

MKEgal

THANK YOU!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
This is EXACTLY the information I'm looking for. :D

Anyone else from another agency / state / school have different stats?

Ed. 02SEP - I asked 2 Milwaukee cops this afternoon "when you were training to be an officer, how much class time was spent on gun safety & use?" They insisted on answering "4000 hours". No, that's the 2 year degree you might have. I'm positive they didn't spend 2 years of FT work just on weapons handling. :banghead:

Last edited: