Thread: Pierce County Parks - Code Change update

Pierce County Parks - Code Change update

I contacted the PC parks director and Code revisor and have heard back on our intiative to get Pierce County Council to revise their parks and trails rules under the PC, title 14 code.

We are making some progress.....The file for the 2010 proposed change is apparently too big to upload here, but it is working its way to the council and the code language revision....good clear language and recognition of the state pre-emption

"14.08.060 Prohibited Activities.
    It is unlawful for any person to:
    I. Discharge across, in or into any park a firearm, air or gas weapon, or any device capable of injuring or killing any person or animal or damaging or destroying any public or private property."

Removing the "possess or carry" language.....

Next steps will be if the county Executive channels this to the citizens advisory group or straight to PC legal for review....
    Last edited by jt59; 09-01-2010 at 01:42 PM.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Serious question: So if I discharge in self-defense could I be held in contempt of the statue?

Necessity is a defense against that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovenox View Post
    Serious question: So if I discharge in self-defense could I be held in contempt of the statue?
    Simply No!
    You have the right to self defense as covered in RCW 9A.16.020/30/40 and 50 and as we are a Stand Your Ground State, as long as you have a legal right to be there.
    Last edited by BigDave; 09-01-2010 at 04:17 PM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Not if they honor RCW 9A.16.110:

(1) No person in the state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting by any reasonable means necessary, himself or herself, his or her family, or his or her real or personal property, or for coming to the aid of another who is in imminent danger of or the victim of assault, robbery, kidnapping, arson, burglary, rape, murder, or any other violent crime as defined in RCW 9.94A.030.
    What if the predator in need of dispatch is four-legged? Or a sasquatch? :-)
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

Apparently, only if you claim it was humping your leg, you might be able to back end a definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammo View Post
    What if the predator in need of dispatch is four-legged? Or a sasquatch? :-)
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

I will try to attach the full file...in a compressed .zip

It was too big to put in the intial post....you may have to unzip to read....lots of energy here to take out a few words...

Attachment 3786
    Last edited by jt59; 09-01-2010 at 05:18 PM.

69Charger
    Thank You.

That needed to be said to you.

Dave

Any update?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sunrise Beach Park.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	3831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No Firearms.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	3830Last week, I OC'd at Sunrise Beach Park (Pierce County) in Gig Harbor. I know that the regulation is illegal, so the sign didn't prevent me from OC. Would a letter from me help this along, even though I'm not a resident of the county?

Sure,

It is still "in process" and should be coming to the council for a vote, but keeping awareness up and getting a letter from as many as possible is a great idea....

http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/pc/abtus/...il/default.htm

http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/pc/abtus/.../contactus.htm

...and the head of parks too....

kbasket@co.pierce.wa.us

At some point in the near months, we will be advised when it will come before the council.....and we'll have an opportunity to go and speak in support.

It should be an easy decision....they've been advised by PC counsel that the current rules are non-compliant and it's the law of the land. We just need to keep pressure on so that it doesn't get swept under the rug like it did last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajetpilot View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sunrise Beach Park.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	3831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No Firearms.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	3830Last week, I OC'd at Sunrise Beach Park (Pierce County) in Gig Harbor. I know that the regulation is illegal, so the sign didn't prevent me from OC. Would a letter from me help this along, even though I'm not a resident of the county?

Lots of old signs....

I have seen lot's of old signs around Western Washington. Jt59 is correct, we must keep after them until they are correct. Like Vancouver did by simply painting over the word firearm works as most municipalities budget's are tight. I will also be following up with Pierce Co., Tacoma and Federal Way.
    Live Free or Die!

Pierce County Executive

I got a call from the Pierce County Executive with an update:

The request and next step in the review and ultimately the pending code revision has been forwarded to the Pierce County Firearms advisory committee:

http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/pc/servic...rearmscomm.htm

He was looking into when their next meeting was (unschedled, but required 4X a year) and will advise. They review it and make recommendations to the council.

When I hear, I'll pass the date and time along.....It is open to the public, and they take comments.....

If you want to add your support: Contact the following and ask to be put on the "interested party" list....(phone and email).....

Now's the time to raise awareness with them of the hundreds of concerned citizens that we are......you don't have to be a PC resident, just someone who uses their parks and trail systems

Susan Long is a very nice lady and helpful (she is the code reviser)...

So, the efforts are paying off, but we need to work the system....

I am also requesting that as many of you that can, give her a call and your e-mail address to be put on her "interested party" list and she will advise us of the progress and when it will come up on the agenda to the council (and public hearing process)....

Her direct line is: 253-798-6068

Tell her you are "interested in the proposed code revision to "Pierce County, Title 14.08.060 - regarding prohibition on guns in county parks and trails coming in line with the state pre-emption outlined in RCW 9.41.290"
    Last edited by jt59; 09-10-2010 at 01:54 PM.

Firearms advisory committee...

has an opening this year. I am working on applying.
    Live Free or Die!

Outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    has an opening this year. I am working on applying.
    I'm sure they would benefit from your knowledge and experience concerning firearms issues.

I say we have a winner!

Council Meeting
    Date: September 21, 2010
    Time: 5:30 PM
    Location: Tacoma Goodwill Headquarters/Milgard Work Opportunity Center
    714 South 27th Street
    Tacoma, WA

Proposal # Title
    2010-69 An Ordinance of the Pierce County Council Amending Section 14.08.060 I. of the Pierce County Code, "Park Code", to Remove Regulatory Language Relating to Firearms in Parks in Recognition of the State's Preemption of Firearms Regulation in Revised Code of Washington 9.41.290.

http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/cfapps/co...10%20%205:30PM

Great!

Quote Originally Posted by 911Grunt View Post

Council Meeting
    714 South 27th Street
    Tacoma, WA

Proposal # Title
    2010-69 An Ordinance of the Pierce County Council Amending Section 14.08.060 I. of the Pierce County Code, "Park Code", to Remove Regulatory Language Relating to Firearms in Parks in Recognition of the State's Preemption of Firearms Regulation in Revised Code of Washington 9.41.290.

http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/cfapps/co...10%20%205:30PM
    This is faster than I expected (was told Nov/Dec), but am excited that they have responded to our requests so quickly....I am going to be in Bremerton that day, teaching a training class until 4:00 pm or so. I will try to make the meeting....if anyone else can come and show support, that would be great!

JT

Support

Well, we all are asking for it....so, anyone that can make this meeting to show support and/or possibly speak in support of the councils decision to implement it would be good.

Pierce County Council Meeting
    714 South 27th Street
    Tacoma, WA

Proposal # Title
    Last edited by jt59; 09-21-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Pierce County Coucil

Here is the excerpt from the agenda, happening in about an hour. I am planning on attending and will speak if given an opportunity.

This appears to be the first step in the process, with the final action to the council in October.

b. Action on Ordinances (refer, set date of hearing)

1. Proposal No. 2010-69, An Ordinance of the Pierce County Council Amending
    Section 14.08.060 I. of the Pierce County Code, "Park Code", to Remove
    Regulatory Language Relating to Firearms in Parks in Recognition of the State’s
    Preemption of Firearms Regulation in Revised Code of Washington 9.41.290.
    Sponsored by: Councilmember Roger Bush
    Council contact person: Susan Long, (253) 798-6068

For referral to the Rules and Operations Committee

To be heard in the Rules and Operations Committee on October 4, 2010

Date of final Council hearing: October 26, 2010

Note the venue change:

http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/xml/Abtus...cil/agenda.pdf

Getting closer

Oct 26th is the date for the full council action....

It recieved a "do pass" recommendation from the sub committee....

http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/cfapps/co...al_num=2010-69

This is a Tuesday if anyone is interested or available to go....

j

Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    Oct 26th is the date for the full council action....

It recieved a "do pass" recommendation from the sub committee....

http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/cfapps/co...al_num=2010-69

This is a Tuesday if anyone is interested or available to go....

j
    I am working till 8 that day, but I will see if I can move my schedule around. I have included emails and calls to councilman Muri in favor.
    Live Free or Die!

Preemption shall stand in Pierce County, Washington.

On the agenda for final consideration

The resolution is on the agenda for a vote tomorrow evening: (Scroll down it's near the bottom)..

http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/cfapps/co...meeting_dt=Oct 26 2010 3:00PM

This should be pretty straight forward at this point....

Anyone going?

Into the public record it goes! Officially a win.

I attended the meeting last night, and the ordinance (2010-69) to change the language for firearms in parks as previously posted passed 7-0 a unanimous vote, without discussion.

Carry on! (in Pierce County Parks, anyway).

I'll check with the parks guy, I've been communicating with to get an idea of the sign transition schedule.

Anyone with a connection to the council should send a thanks...

jt
    Last edited by jt59; 10-27-2010 at 07:34 PM.