• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pierce County Parks - Code Change update

jt59

I contacted the PC parks director and Code revisor and have heard back on our intiative to get Pierce County Council to revise their parks and trails rules under the PC, title 14 code.

We are making some progress.....The file for the 2010 proposed change is apparently too big to upload here, but it is working its way to the council and the code language revision....good clear language and recognition of the state pre-emption

"14.08.060 Prohibited Activities.
It is unlawful for any person to:
I. Discharge across, in or into any park a firearm, air or gas weapon, or any device capable of injuring or killing any person or animal or damaging or destroying any public or private property."

Removing the "possess or carry" language.....

Next steps will be if the county Executive channels this to the citizens advisory group or straight to PC legal for review....

Last edited:

Lovenox

Serious question: So if I discharge in self-defense could I be held in contempt of the statue?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Serious question: So if I discharge in self-defense could I be held in contempt of the statue?

Simply No!
You have the right to self defense as covered in RCW 9A.16.020/30/40 and 50 and as we are a Stand Your Ground State, as long as you have a legal right to be there.

Last edited:

Lammo

Not if they honor RCW 9A.16.110:

(1) No person in the state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting by any reasonable means necessary, himself or herself, his or her family, or his or her real or personal property, or for coming to the aid of another who is in imminent danger of or the victim of assault, robbery, kidnapping, arson, burglary, rape, murder, or any other violent crime as defined in RCW 9.94A.030.

What if the predator in need of dispatch is four-legged? Or a sasquatch? :)

jt59

I will try to attach the full file...in a compressed .zip

It was too big to put in the intial post....you may have to unzip to read....lots of energy here to take out a few words...

View attachment 3786

Last edited:

Ajetpilot

Any update?

Sunrise Beach Park.jpgNo Firearms.jpgLast week, I OC'd at Sunrise Beach Park (Pierce County) in Gig Harbor. I know that the regulation is illegal, so the sign didn't prevent me from OC. Would a letter from me help this along, even though I'm not a resident of the county?

jt59

Sure,

It is still "in process" and should be coming to the council for a vote, but keeping awareness up and getting a letter from as many as possible is a great idea....

http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/pc/abtus/ourorg/council/default.htm

http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/pc/abtus/ourorg/council/contactus.htm

...and the head of parks too....

kbasket@co.pierce.wa.us

At some point in the near months, we will be advised when it will come before the council.....and we'll have an opportunity to go and speak in support.

It should be an easy decision....they've been advised by PC counsel that the current rules are non-compliant and it's the law of the land. We just need to keep pressure on so that it doesn't get swept under the rug like it did last time.

View attachment 3831View attachment 3830Last week, I OC'd at Sunrise Beach Park (Pierce County) in Gig Harbor. I know that the regulation is illegal, so the sign didn't prevent me from OC. Would a letter from me help this along, even though I'm not a resident of the county?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Lots of old signs....

I have seen lot's of old signs around Western Washington. Jt59 is correct, we must keep after them until they are correct. Like Vancouver did by simply painting over the word firearm works as most municipalities budget's are tight. I will also be following up with Pierce Co., Tacoma and Federal Way.

jt59

Pierce County Executive

I got a call from the Pierce County Executive with an update:

The request and next step in the review and ultimately the pending code revision has been forwarded to the Pierce County Firearms advisory committee:

http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/pc/services/home/property/pals/other/firearmscomm.htm

He was looking into when their next meeting was (unschedled, but required 4X a year) and will advise. They review it and make recommendations to the council.

When I hear, I'll pass the date and time along.....It is open to the public, and they take comments.....

If you want to add your support: Contact the following and ask to be put on the "interested party" list....(phone and email).....

Now's the time to raise awareness with them of the hundreds of concerned citizens that we are......you don't have to be a PC resident, just someone who uses their parks and trail systems

Susan Long is a very nice lady and helpful (she is the code reviser)...

So, the efforts are paying off, but we need to work the system....

I am also requesting that as many of you that can, give her a call and your e-mail address to be put on her "interested party" list and she will advise us of the progress and when it will come up on the agenda to the council (and public hearing process)....

Her direct line is: 253-798-6068

Tell her you are "interested in the proposed code revision to "Pierce County, Title 14.08.060 - regarding prohibition on guns in county parks and trails coming in line with the state pre-emption outlined in RCW 9.41.290"

Last edited:

911Grunt

I say we have a winner!

:monkey :banana: :lol:

Council Meeting
Date: September 21, 2010
Time: 5:30 PM
Location: Tacoma Goodwill Headquarters/Milgard Work Opportunity Center
714 South 27th Street
Tacoma, WA

Proposal # Title
2010-69 An Ordinance of the Pierce County Council Amending Section 14.08.060 I. of the Pierce County Code, "Park Code", to Remove Regulatory Language Relating to Firearms in Parks in Recognition of the State's Preemption of Firearms Regulation in Revised Code of Washington 9.41.290.

http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/cfapps/council/iview/councilMeeting.cfm?meeting_dt=Sep 21 2010 5:30PM

jt59

Great!

:monkey :banana: :lol:

Council Meeting
714 South 27th Street
Tacoma, WA

Proposal # Title
2010-69 An Ordinance of the Pierce County Council Amending Section 14.08.060 I. of the Pierce County Code, "Park Code", to Remove Regulatory Language Relating to Firearms in Parks in Recognition of the State's Preemption of Firearms Regulation in Revised Code of Washington 9.41.290.

http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/cfapps/council/iview/councilMeeting.cfm?meeting_dt=Sep 21 2010 5:30PM

This is faster than I expected (was told Nov/Dec), but am excited that they have responded to our requests so quickly....I am going to be in Bremerton that day, teaching a training class until 4:00 pm or so. I will try to make the meeting....if anyone else can come and show support, that would be great!

JT

jt59

Support

Well, we all are asking for it....so, anyone that can make this meeting to show support and/or possibly speak in support of the councils decision to implement it would be good.

Pierce County Council Meeting
714 South 27th Street
Tacoma, WA

Proposal # Title

Last edited:

jt59

Pierce County Coucil

Here is the excerpt from the agenda, happening in about an hour. I am planning on attending and will speak if given an opportunity.

This appears to be the first step in the process, with the final action to the council in October.

b. Action on Ordinances (refer, set date of hearing)

1. Proposal No. 2010-69, An Ordinance of the Pierce County Council Amending
Section 14.08.060 I. of the Pierce County Code, "Park Code", to Remove
Regulatory Language Relating to Firearms in Parks in Recognition of the State’s
Preemption of Firearms Regulation in Revised Code of Washington 9.41.290.
Sponsored by: Councilmember Roger Bush
Council contact person: Susan Long, (253) 798-6068

For referral to the Rules and Operations Committee

To be heard in the Rules and Operations Committee on October 4, 2010

Date of final Council hearing: October 26, 2010

Note the venue change:

http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/xml/Abtus/ourorg/council/agenda.pdf

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran