Thread: Clerk Pulls Gun, Scares Off Would-Be Robbers

Lacey, Washington, USA

Clerk Pulls Gun, Scares Off Would-Be Robbers
    After he stopped the threat he should not have shot at them.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux

Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    I would require more details before I would pass such judgment. If the BGs are still brandishing while fleeing the store, the threat has not ended. It has just moved.

Still, based on what we know so far, I probably would not have given chase. I am not confident in my ability to chase BGs and shoot them without making a bad situation worse.

Mattaponi, Virginia, United States

My opinion from experience. (May contradict case law / code)

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    After he stopped the threat he should not have shot at them.
    1. I disagree that the threat was stopped just because they were leaving. As long as they are in the same area as you they are a threat. I don't believe it is possible to point to a single action (such as turning around to leave) and claim that is the point where lethal force must stop.

2. If you've ever been in a shooting incident, you would know the brain begins processing information in a completely different way. (often called flight/fight). When someone enters this 'zone' it is unreasonable to expect them to register the importance of certain actions. Information is pre-processed by a portion of the brain that bypasses the normal judgement center of the brain.(In this case, after the clerk started shooting at the BGs. Even though the clerk visually saw the BGs turn and leave, the significance may not have registered.)

Behavior in the fight/flight mode can only be modified by habitual and repetitive training, such as that Police go through. Those who are not officers can not be held to the same standards.

Because the BGs actions FORCED the clerk into the fight/flight mode, the BGs are RESPONSIBLE for, the actions of the clerk with reduced cognitive abilities.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an[ addictionis the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

, Utah, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbitone View Post
    Just because some one retreats doesn't mean the threat is over. Some rearm, reload, or bring back more man power.

Also did anyone catch the type-o in the article?

Hurting gunshots eh?
    Only when they connect